Airfix 1/48 Spitfire Mk.XII

One of the finest builds I have seen yet. I'm no expert on these things, but, everything looks like where it should be and be as it should. Top drawer

Sean

The seat harness was simply strips of Tamiya masking tape painted Tamiya XF57 Buff (or possibly XF55 Deck Tan, I can't recall) and arranged in the approximate configuration of a Sutton harness. I used a fine Sharpie to make the dots to suggest the grommets and a pencil sharpened to a needle point to draw on some stitching.

Thank you very much....That's exactly what I was thinking. I use to do the same with my kits, but I'm not able to achieve such a good result as you. My seat harnesses use to turn into a shoddy work, and I don't like using photoetched belts, because I think they look quite rigid and unreal..

Cheers.....

Oh my! That looks very well done (if you hadn't said Airfix, people would have sworn this was Tamiya).

How did you achieve the worn paint on the wing walk areas? The chipping work looks real and perfectly in scale for the subject.

PS, nice to see you here as well as ARC.

Edited by JMChladek

Thank you very much....That's exactly what I was thinking. I use to do the same with my kits, but I'm not able to achieve such a good result as you. My seat harnesses use to turn into a shoddy work, and I don't like using photoetched belts, because I think they look quite rigid and unreal..

Cheers.....

One trick I employ with photoetch harnesses is to anneal them over a candle and introduce a bunch of random bends by gently scrumpling the belts up and then flattening them out again. I'll paint them much as I described for the tape belts, superglue them to the seat and use a pencil eraser to carefully poke them into place and conform to the contours. Here's what it looks like on my Revell PV-1 Ventura (still in-progress):

IMG_0127.jpg

• Like 1

Oh my! That looks very well done (if you hadn't said Airfix, people would have sworn this was Tamiya).

How did you achieve the worn paint on the wing walk areas? The chipping work looks real and perfectly in scale for the subject.

PS, nice to see you here as well as ARC.

All of the paint chipping was done with a Prismacolor silver pencil, sharpened to a very fine point on some sandpaper. I gradually build up the larger chipped areas by repeatedly touching the tip to the model, occasionally changing the orientation of the pencil with respect to the model so there's no overall directional bias to the chips. This method is nice and flexible; if you make a mistake, you can simply wipe it away with a moistened cotton bud.

• Like 1

All of the paint chipping was done with a Prismacolor silver pencil, sharpened to a very fine point on some sandpaper. I gradually build up the larger chipped areas by repeatedly touching the tip to the model, occasionally changing the orientation of the pencil with respect to the model so there's no overall directional bias to the chips. This method is nice and flexible; if you make a mistake, you can simply wipe it away with a moistened cotton bud.

Okay, I use the Prismacolor pencils myself (mainly for cockpit "painting"), but I've never quite been able to get the silver one to work like that (probably because I was usually going for a flat wedge tip on my pencils to rub over high spots as opposed to a sharp tip with pin point application areas). Now that I know what can be achieved though, I'll try it again next chance I get. Thanks!