Airfix Merlin

merlin101

Hi Dave, many thanks for the heads up, can't wait for this kit I hear it's very good not a Lynx but very good non the less. I may just have to convert it into the correct version though!

Colin

Hi Dave, many thanks for the heads up, can't wait for this kit I hear it's very good not a Lynx but very good non the less. I may just have to convert it into the correct version though!

Colin

We can but hope you will Colin. FLY NAVY regards Len.

When I saw the title, I thought you meant the RR Merlin and jumped to the conclusion that Airfix had added it to their range of "engines" such as the Beam Engine! Not that the helicopter isn't important, but the engine might make a nice kit idea ...

I read the article with much interest. I must say that it looks good but I really HOPE that the errors in the part numbering, instruction sheet etc that are highlighted in the text are corrected before the kit is released!! I DO realise its from a test shot only and the faults coule well be eliminated before release. Otherwise there may well be a lot of upset and disappointed modellers after spending thier hard earned in this kit. I look forward to it as it was due for release next month and timely for my next birthday!!

Readers of the article wiil see what I mean.

Edited by Paul J

Would be nice if Airfix released the "correct" ahem... version, as to convert the RAF to RN model would be very difficult (different rear fuselage for starters).

Would be nice if Airfix released the "correct" ahem... version, as to convert the RAF to RN model would be very difficult (different rear fuselage for starters).

Hi AJ. Yes difficult but not inpossible, apparently it's the innards which are the bind.

I see you were ex greeny/bombhead, did the two branches combine?

Colin exgrubber/parafino etc....

Hi AJ. Yes difficult but not inpossible, apparently it's the innards which are the bind.

I see you were ex greeny/bombhead, did the two branches combine?

Colin exgrubber/parafino etc....

I asked Airfix about this and they told me that they had all the info from AgustaWestland, but were going to wait and see how the HC3 sold. Apparently to do a "proper" aircraft would require an entirely new fuselage as well as a pile of new innards and detailing parts.

Yep, Bobski is right, a new fuselage and the interior would need revising along with a load of sensors/areials etc.

Heloman1 - I joined as a "Weapons Electrical" just after they combined the old W trade and L trade. Finished my 23 years back in 2006 instructing on the Merlin at Culdrose.

Another Ex-WL here. If you were at Culdrose on the Merlin ajaycad, you might have met my old oppo CPO(AEA)Andy Clarke who I joined up with, ok he is a Pinky, but they're not all bad. :D

Aren`t the RAF Merlin`s all slated for transfer to the Navy anyway to replace the Jungly Sea King HC.4`s? That means buying two to build one in RAF markings and put one away to build it in RN colours at a later date- that is if the MoD let the Fleet Air Arm actually paint `Royal Navy' on them that is!

After all 800 NAS were prevented from applying `Royal Navy' onto the Harrier`s which they were landed with when the SHAR was withdrawn from service. A case of, lets take their aircraft off them, let them use these RAF owned `more effective'(yeah right!) aircraft instead under the understanding that they are still getting a good deal with their new carrier and them whip the carpet from under them and at last (as far as the RAF top brass are concerned) the RN no longer has a fixed wing capability and has been totally shafted! Job done and the RAF`s revenge for 1938!

We`ll see if the Jungly Merlins appear with Royal Navy titles or not ,...or whether they become `Joint Assets' under Joint Helicopter Command or Force or whatever it is called!

Cheers

Tony O

I imagine they will have Royal Navy titles when transferred to the Junglies.  With Joint Force Harrier, RN pilots were operating RAF aircraft in an RN squadron, i.e. the airframes were on the RAF's books.  With the Merlins ownership is being transferred to the RN so they'll have the freedom to do what they want/can afford/get through the contract with the paint shop.

I believe 846NAS have now gone over to Merlin MK4.

Not quite yet...but the senior service will be taking charge of the Merlin Mk.3 later on this year and yes they will be repainted with ROYAL NAVY on the sides.

Not quite yet...but the senior service will be taking charge of the Merlin Mk.3 later on this year and yes they will be repainted with ROYAL NAVY on the sides.

As it should be.

Colin

The review kit has arrived, and I'm working on the review... bear with me, as the sprues are a bit large for my usual photo-tent... might have to try some image stitching, as outdoors is off-limits and under 4" of snow :S

The review kit has arrived, and I'm working on the review... bear with me, as the sprues are a bit large for my usual photo-tent... might have to try some image stitching, as outdoors is off-limits and under 4" of snow :S

So what kind of excuse is that, Mike? It's just a bit of inclement weather. Stop fussing and get out there.

Working on the pics now, you horrible man! :whip:

I'm having to stitch the two large sprues, which is taking some time - no-one have a go at me over a droopy tail rotor though! :fight:

Good God. Sheer sacrilege! :weep:

Joking aside, I'm looking forward to the kit release especially as this is my last year working on Merlins......... I haven't seen the article or even sprue shots yet but I'm assuming it comes with a couple of gimpy's and float bag replacement panels to help me build a nicely oil and dust stained Iraq/Afghan cab?