Sean_M

Hi

I am looking to buy a razor saw for vary fine cuts. i.e. canop seperation, control surfaces etc. Any suggestions on make and model number. There are a lot of brands out there, but all say for "fine" work.

Thanks

Sean

If you want very fine, try a photo-etched saw. Hasegawa may do one, I think, possibly ex-Trimaster, but mine is Lion Roar. Three blades cost a fiver. They go through plastic like a hot knife, too. You may need to find a new holder for them - they don't come with one - but take one to your friendly ironmonger and you'll soon find a Stanley handle or similar that fits.

Have a look at www.hobby.uk.com; they do stainless steel photo etch blades which fit scalpel handles. £5.35 gets 4 or 6 different shaped blades. They cut very fine and keep their edge for ages. I'm still using the first from the fret after 3 years.

Hi Sean,

I like and use the JLC razor saw. You get a choice of blades, for normal and very fine cut. I use these to cut 1:144 canopies and they work very well.
You may wish to consider the JLC Mitre block as an accessory for the razor saw. It really does help when you wish to cut lots of components to the same size. Check out my review HERE.

cheers

I bought a JLC a few years back and it dont know how I managed without it. The blades seem to be hardened steel (as blades should be) which means they last well. The blades are short compared with the traditional backed saw but I have not found this to be a disadvantage.

• 10 months later...

Have a look at either the JLC saw or rumoured to be even thinner the saw on radubs site

http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=77_112&products_id=358

Got one of the RB saws a month or so ago at the Irish Nationals, and it is EXCELLENT - really fine. Here's a review of it over on hyperscale

http://www.hyperscale.com/2009/reviews/tools/rbproductionst014bg_1_1.htm

Philip