1/48th counter invader (A 26K?)

miniair

Hi all again, while sorting out a few projects for this year i have found a Revell A 26 in the pile, is there a currently available conversion to the counter-invader/ nimrod, that doesn't involve offering a first born son in payment(i'm not saying i wouldn't offer him up, but.....) the only one i could see was the Cutting edge one,

again thanks mini

but should there not also be an enlarged tail fin?

:o Really? Where can we find a reference for that please? Is it an extensive mod?

Edited by PHaTNesS

:o Really? Where can we find a reference for that please? Is it an extensive mod?

Actually, only the rudder was enlarged on the A-26K, if you can find the Squadron/Signal In Action book on the B-26/A-26 it shows the rudder. I built a 1/48th scale A-26K once, using the OOP High Flight conversion.

The rudder is the least of your worries on that kit.  Quite possibly the worst kit Monogram has made in recent memory.  There's almost nothing about it that's dimensionally/proportionally accurate.  A real shame too, since their issue of that kit in 1993 scared DML off from doing the 1/48 B-26K that they had announced.  Their 1992 corporate holiday card even showed the box art for their kit which never saw the light of day.

If you can get hold of it there's a Cutting Edge conversion kit for the B-26K (or A-26A as it was renamed during Vietnam) that is a lot more extensive than the Ozmods version, as it provides the modified tail already alluded to, in addition to the wing pylons, a replacement for part of the fuselage top (where the turret originally was), replacement engine cowlings, all sorts of antennae and replacement mainwheels (for some reason the Counter Invader was given new mainwheels which were apparently also used on C-135s and DC-6s).

Although all of that is provided, it's still down to the modeller to convert the cockpit to dual control (as is appropriate for the Counter invader) and what changes were made to what was originally the gunner's position seems to be anyone's guess. The instructions of the Cutting Edge set admit that the original Monogram kit is dimensionally dodgy, but take the view that it's something you more or less have to live with and that they did the best they could with a rather sketchy donor kit.

All of this said, trying to find this conversion kit is awfully difficult. They come up once in a blue moon on a certain well known auction-site and when they do they usually go for silly money.

D.

Thanks again guys, i'll keep an eye open for the cutting edge set, I must admit i'm not a total accuracy freak, if it looks like the prototype from 4 feet away then i'm happy. Once again thanks for the info :thumbsup:

I've built two of these kits with some success, I was unaware of the dimensional shortcomings of the kit, and can say it never put me off it at all.

It's a nice kit to build and looks really great built up, there are some very nice Eduard etch sets for it, as well as replacement wheels, 8-gun nose, vac canopies etc etc.

link

Though clearly not one of Monogram's best, it is one of the best served kits in the aftermarket accessories.

Edited by PHaTNesS

I have 2 old ‘Contrail’ Vac forms A 26 C’s that will become A26K’s on the go at the moment both using the OzMods  ref. OZCONV 4802 kit and it’s all coming together well. I found the www.warbirdinformationexchange.org very useful you have to wade through a lot of stuff but it gives the details of cockpit & pylon position changes.

I'm about to start the same project. I have the Ozmods conversion kit, but unfortunately it's the blades only which seems to be quite useful.

The wing tanks does not have round profile and compared to the photos the dimensions are not correct either.

At Hyperscale there is a review of CE's kit and it still contains photos & other useful info.

The original nose is easier to modifiy than clean the Ozmods one.

The wing pylons are missing completely and I try to cast my own based to the P-80 wing pylons.

Masters are ready - courage to cast needed. I have the Tamiya's A-1 Skyraider and those pylons are much too small.

cheers,

tippe

Tippe,

cast away, no extra courage needed. If you don't have the pressure chamber/pot, use a disposable syringe to inject the resin into the mold. I usually use a piece of thin wire or a toothpick to lightly mix the resin in the one piece mold to dislodge any remaining air bubbles.

Vedran