Meng Models 1/48 Me-410B2-U4 Hornisse

I love the Me 410!

Went to RAF St Athans years ago to see the one that now lives in Cosford, being run up.

I did take a video which I lost :shrug: but, I found this on youtube, it might help with some details:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jAcgUPjb16Q

The guys at St Athan claimed that the 410 was flyable, but they were reluctant to do so incase something happened.

Edited by HL-10

Nice work sofar Kev.

Wheels are on their way, should be at your location in 2 weeks.. give or take.

Will keep chekcing this thread. Cockpit looks good.

Harald

Thanks mate,

Your help is highly appreciated.

Any chance you could post a pic of the canopy please?

Will do, hopefully on next update to come in a few days.

Rear cockpit is done!

The fit is very nice in and around the side panels of the compartment, but the way in which the seat is mounted is flimsy but as it is mounted so deep in the compartment it should remain secure. Seatbelts were quick and easy and the top plate with the headrest and other small pieces was likewise easy, even the cage structure looks to be fairly solid and robust.

I dry brushed all the pieces with some Gunze silver metalcote and the dials/instruments were dry brushed with off white.

002-33.jpg

004-41.jpg

009-22.jpg

012-15.jpg

014-15.jpg

Next up are the gun barbettes and the gun aiming parts, then it is close to the closing of the fuselage.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Guys,

Apologies for no updates on this one. I have just started a new job and getting into the new routine is preventing any modelling at the moment. I hope to get cracking on her again real soon, and when I do, updates will follow on this thread.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally an update!!!

The internals bar the cannon in the nose are done and it's time to close up the fuselage. That will come tonight or tomorrow, but here are all the parts before closing.

The remotely controlled gun barbettes from the inside. A bit of a bugger to fit but I managed in the end to get them right, and they do spin and turn as they are supposed to:

008_zps0e09af08.jpg

And from the outside:

011_zps1930ca97.jpg

The cockpit sidewalls..adequate detail considering that they will be largely blocked out by the cockpits whwich are very nicely detailed in their own right:

009_zpsc10914c1.jpg

010_zps6f6ffd3c.jpg

The rear cockpit, which in an earlier photo I had the top surface placed on it the wrong way around, now glued in the right way:

013_zps35945a4e.jpg

And the front cokpit again:

015_zps80e418ee.jpg

The rear gunners aiming devide, really difficult to handle and assemble as the parts breakdwon leads to very small attachement points for parts:

012_zpsef6c1e19.jpg

The plans I had to use the Aires wheel set is now on the backburner after I discovered that the tail wheel is too big for the Meng parts. So I am considering putting the set away for a Revell example down the track, the unpainted one is the Aires one:

017_zpsba22e56a.jpg

018_zpsf942caaa.jpg

And a recent purchase, well worth it in regards to detail, but the operational aspects are poorly covered.

019_zps4a6a38e6.jpg

Enjoying the kit overall, but it is definitely a bit more work than my usual single engine jobs.

Will keep you all posted.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...