1/144 F-15 ACTIVE - ** Finished ** 15/04/13

Thank you Houston, I've not really had much chance to do anything with my model which has annoyed me to no end. I am hoping to at least get it primed next week sometime time. Anyhow onto the pictures and what I have done since.

img0909uq.jpg

img0910jb.jpg

I've tried to scratch build the engine nozzles, to give you some idea to how big those nozzles are. If you look at the plasticard, that is 0.4 mm thick! the total width of the nozzle is only 8mm, which is way too big. There is supposed to be a bigger gap between the two nozzles, so I'm gonna have to rethink this one again. Least I kinda know what I am doing this time... famous last words.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Thank you Mark, well I had trouble finding official NASA ones that where of a decent quality. However there is loads of the planes from computer games. Knowing how much sttention the Japanese pay to detail, I went with the Ace Combat pics. Which there is a few, plus I have the games also so if I get stuck I can just pop the game in look at it from a different angle. So it's not too bad.

Kind Regards

Dazz

Aye that's the idea Mark. However I do it in the hanger, there's an aircraft viewer on it where you can zoom in and out and look from any conceivable angle. Except the bottom of the aircraft. That's when the game comes into it, although the pictures are clearer in the hanger more light too. :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

• 2 weeks later...

:yikes: they're tiny and resin bits!

It's looking really good, can't wait to see the finished product.

I've just caught on this is 1:144, wow you must have good eyesight :) Looking good.

Thank you both, I actually wear glasses Mish. I can't see anything thats more than 2 foot away :P

Well I done some more work on her today. I'm taking this one slow as I know where the pitfalls are for the other two I am going to build... doubt they will get done for this GB tho. Onto the pictures.

img0938tg.jpg

I have a gap between the nozzles now!!! Yeah I can see that the actual nozzles are at different angles... oh well...

img0937i.jpg

Used a combination of filler and tippex, so far I am favouring tippex as it seem easier to manage.

img0936rp.jpg

The problem with using filler and tippex on this model is the waiting time for both to dry. It's taken 24 hours to get this far... hhmm...

Hopefully more soon! :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Well I went to town with the filler in hope of making something out of the nozzles, I just couldn't get the right shape to my eyes. Thus I have got her to an okay place and decided to live and learn from her and move on to the next parts. Where I am upto now took me 5 hours on/off with drying time.

img0944km.jpg

img0945ts.jpg

I have since learned that tippex is useless for big scale filling. It's brittle, cracks easily and IF it gets wet, it turns sticky again. Hoping to get the first white coat on tomorrow, weather permitting. :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

I've put the coat of primer on her, and the first coat of white paint and it's all gone horribly wrong!!! The paint has orange peeled and shown up how bad the engine nozzles actually are. So I will have to sort that one out. Need to find a decent filler, think I will just stick to the plasto as tippex is too brittle and cracks/brakes off when you sand it. Gonna take a trip to my local Hobbycraft soon and buy a can of Tamiya white primer. :)

img0961bl.jpg

Looks really bad here huh?? Damn DSLR's showing all of the bad stuff...

Kind Regards,

Dazz

I don't know, it doesn't look too bad at all in the photo.

Just some careful sanding with 600 plus is probably all you need. You could always try nail polishing files/cards probably a couple of pounds (only a couple of dollars here), they work great and are much softer on paint. I use them on clear canopies, are excellent for removing mold lines,

Love the work in such a fin scale

Hhmm I do have some sanding sponges I guess they are, but I have no idea what grit they are. Might have to invest in done proper ones. Thank you for the words of encouragement :)

Kind Regards

Dazz

• 3 weeks later...

Well I have finally managed to dig out the airbrush after my old man buried it in "his" shed! Pictures to follow:

img0978q.jpg

Both part together, I think the red paint I used is meant to be for clear parts as it went on horribly. It hasn't come out that bad really.

img0979bq.jpg

The main body, got some parts that I need to clean up, mainly where the paint has leaked under the masking. No biggie, I can sort that one out. Think I will need to go over the red again. Not I gotta mask the blue bits up, not looking forward to that fuselage bit at all!

img0981wk.jpg

The F-18 stabilisers and the two rudders, decided it would be easier to paint if they where not on the actual plane.

Hope to get the blue done tomorrow then the decals start.

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Nice to see it back on the bench dazz, keep up the good work

Beginning to look smart

Thank you both, tbh Mark it never left the bench it was the white paint that kept it at the back! I've spent most of the day trying to get the masking done for the blue to be painted on. What a bloody job that is! The bit that goes from the cockpit to the engine nozzles was the most annoying. But I have the basic "template" for lack of a better term, done. Photos below.

img0984az.jpg

You can just see the basic outline for it here. Thank God I do not have to do the bottom of it!! Hopefully the blue will go on a lot better than the red. Thinking of going over the red again, hopefully wont take that long.

img0985cz.jpg

The F-18 stabilisers and rudders, not much else to show here really. I did think earlier that I have buggered myself up by not attaching the canopy and painting it with the plane. Then I found out the canopy is silver, unlike the plane itself which is a result! :)

Once this bit is done the next major part if all of the decals. This is where the fun begins. :)

Kind Regards,

Dazz

Here she is, all painted up... well bar the engines and stuff but the basic outline is done. The canards and rudders are not actually stuck down yet will be doing that once the engines are done. Here be the current progress...

img0993v.jpg

Here she is in all her glory for the time being. Still gotta do the black bit on the nose and the engines with their various different shades. But you get the basic lay out.

img0991tb.jpg

Finally learning how to use the airbrush, might need to go over the red again but I might just brush it. Getting those blue stripes to line up was a pain in the bottom, then masking the whole thing took about two hours. That blue bit on the body was the hardest bit to do and took an age. Gotta tidy some parts up tho.

img0992kl.jpg

Close up of the blue spine stripe. Think I've done well with that :) Gotta sort the bits out that are on the engine nacels but that should be easy to do.

Hope you like,

Kind Regards,

Dazz

She does, doesn't she?? I just hope the finished article does the real thing justice. I'm dreading the next stage... The decals... Ill give it a go tho. Wondering if I wanna build the USAF's Lizard One version or not.

Kind Regards

Dazz

Thank you all for the kind words. I've noticed that the blue spine stripe is wrong, but meh... You'd hardly notice at this scale. Since this picture was taken I've painted the nozzles, done some weathering on them, painted the black bit on the nose (anti-glare??) retouched the red and blue also re painted some white bits. All I gotta do now is to place the decals I have, and make up the ones I do not. Then she's done. Oh I've done the canopy too, didn't fit so I'm gonna have it open. I'm well chuffed how she's coming along, even SWMBO is impressed!! ;) more pictures soon.

Kind Regards

Dazz