Kork Ballington aboard his Kawasaki KR500, Tamiya kit and rider

heloman1

Niiiice!

I see you had your tot after panting today.

Yes, I thought I'd better otherwise the pinstriping might have been better suited to the Wavy Navy.

Colin

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys, not too much progress of late, too many other thing going on including a bit of motorbike art. Decals applied to the one side of the fairing, seatbox and front guard. Al went on fairly easily, a bit of cutting and pushing needed and some Micro-Set.

IMG_0518_zpsc6abd5de.jpg

Going to have to get going on the rest of the kit soon, otherwise I'll be left behind!!!

Colin

Getting the decals over the complex curves of the fairing is the 'Hillary Step' of race bike models, well done.

Hi Peter, You're right, hopefully the cuts I had to make won't be too noticable once it's all finished. I won't clear coat the model as that would not be prototypical of the period plus I don't like toffee apples! Plus I'm not very good with 2K!

Colin

Howdy :bye:

Very very nice Colin. Those decals on the back piece couldnt have been easy, but they came out really nice.

Steve

Hi steve, on the contrary the seat box was the easiest as the white is paint under the greeen, black line along the top is one piece and the red/black across the bottom a second decal. The fairing and front mudguard were the problem decals I had to cut and push tham around quite a bit.

I go back to the enigine and frame tomorrow!

Colin

• 4 weeks later...

Well Guys, tomorrow came and went and did 20 other days since I last touched the bike! Old friend moved down to Sedgefield, had to settle him in etc, and the 'Slow Festival' committee work have both conspired to halt all modelling work. Hopefully I'm back on it this wekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Colin

Edited by heloman1

Then you really deserve to get some good modelling time in again.

I just looked through this build again, more thoroughly, and what a great work on that driver figure! He looks really committed and those period looking glasses are an excellent touch. Should make a great model in action on the track.

• 3 weeks later...

Right guy's, I got back to the build today, all be it briefly. I re-sprayed the rims again today, after the disaster with primer not adhering first time. I use Dulux Duco GP primer from the can and it's always worked before, all the model car guys here swear by it, it's much cheaper that Tamiya and after a buff with micro-mess it has a great surface.

Well hopefully back to the frame tomorrow......

Colin

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, here's a heads up. I'm almost there, a couple of problems which I'll explain when I post my pics. Give me another couple of hours.

Colin

Right here are a couple of progress pics from late yesterday and today, the frame etc is coming together....

IMG_0797_zps124562df.jpg

IMG_0796_zps9fa16601.jpg

Mnr Ballington gets his leathers decorated, the Kawasaki on thesleves was never going to fit as one decal, so I chopped it up into individual letter and applied each separately, much easier. an application of Future and then the image/letter. A dab of Micro-Sol after to bed them down,

IMG_0807_zps194e1616.jpg

IMG_0799_zpsbd30f81e.jpg

IMG_0807_zps194e1616.jpg

Starting to assemble the bike, lots of bits to pull together, it got quite fiddly in some places...

IMG_0810_zpsfe436b3f.jpg

IMG_0814_zps054f3372.jpg

IMG_0816_zpsc504c9a5.jpg

So here it is, should have tried the rider as a fit before I finished him, he was made to fit a Honda, so he can't ride the Kwaka!!!!

I'll have to do some surgery but later, my eyes won't take any more punishment today.

So I'm done, I've enjoyed the build my first bike and figure and my first Group Build, I nearly didn't make it, all my own fault.

Colin

Edited by heloman1

Ouch, that's a though problem to face the last day... I hope you can make what surgery the figure needs to fit on the bike, they both look so nice that they just have to end up together. The trick of cutting out the spokes works well, I see rotating wheels at high speed on every picture.

Hi Rigger, Thanks for the heads up, I must have knocked it whilst taking my pics. It's only push fitted as I ran out of epoxy. It was a push but thanks I made it, few!!!

Colin

Ouch, that's a though problem to face the last day... I hope you can make what surgery the figure needs to fit on the bike, they both look so nice that they just have to end up together. The trick of cutting out the spokes works well, I see rotating wheels at high speed on every picture.

Hi Jorgen. My priority yesterday was to get he figure and the bike finished and at least meet the deadline. It looks like the right leg is the problem, plus I need to secure the tank and seat box, you may have seen I managed to nick one of the seat box decals whilst trying to get the figure into position. That's when I gave up trying to force it.

The spoke removal I picked up from mag article many moons ago, it's the first time I have tried it, yes I think it works well. I have the Matchbox Barry Sheene kit which i fancy doing sometime, so it will get the same treatment.

Colin

Looking great, and echoing the above, removing the spokes is a really nice trick. I hope you can get the figure (Meneer Ballington?) to fit, but I wouldn't rush him for the deadline.

W

Hi Colin. Great work. I also think the spoke-less wheels are very clever.

How about putting Kork in a seated position on the ground behind the bike, and put the bike in a big wheelie pose?

Hi Colin. Great work. I also think the spoke-less wheels are very clever.

How about putting Kork in a seated position on the ground behind the bike, and put the bike in a big wheelie pose?

Thanks for the comments and the wheelie idea, I think I'll stick with the original plan to have him on the bike. I need to pluck up the courage to start the surgery.

Colin