I'm doing this one too Andy - go on!!!

I've just realised I've also got the Tamiya F-15A and will probably go with this as I have ordered a set of decals from the big 'H' - however I know the Revell kit is a good 'un, so I might do both

Really quite tempted to get the Academy F-15K 'Slam Eagle' kit.....only because I found one for just over a tener!

Dave

Great price.

I think the K-version could be used as a base for the new exiting Saudi SA-version.

/Bosse

Quick question, 1/72 best kit for an F-15A? value for money factor etc...found decals for a streak eagle and looking for a kit to put them on.

According to the list I have Hasegawa is the best kit available accuracy wise. I believe Tamiya have an old moulding with raised panel lines. Not a lot of choice out there.

Hi Rob, cheers for that, seems there is no paint available from any manufacturer that is an exact match for either of the blues. I'm going to have a crack at mixing a batch up as close to the reference pics I have as possible.

Dan,

I found Model Master having all the blues you need. It's 1508 (or 2131) and 2031.

According to the list I have Hasegawa is the best kit available accuracy wise. I believe Tamiya have an old moulding with raised panel lines. Not a lot of choice out there.

Agree... however comparing my Hase F-15A boxing with a C one... I can't see any difference in the sprues. You might be okay to get a C box and use it for an A.

• Like 1

Thought I'd repeat here a question I asked earlier that is a bit buried in the build thread; In the not unlikely event that I mess up the task of cutting the end off the nose of my F-15, I'll need to get a replacement. I guess that the only way I can do that is to buy another kit but, as the Hasegawa kits are expensive, especially D's and DJ's, is there another Hasegawa F-15 kit that has the same nose/cockpit molding as the D/DJ kits? I was hoping that the C's and E's might be the same as they occasionally crop up for less than crazy D/DJ kit prices.

Phil

Saw this on another forum,thought it may get someone creative juices flowing....

I've seen bombed up IDF F-15D's before but never a F-15C!

Taken at Tel-Nof 11/2012

F15-Tel-Nof.jpg

What was the motto back in the early Eagle days "Not a Pound for Air-2-Ground" guess the Israelis missed the memo

Yes they are all wired to drop bombs but the IDF is the only one to do it on a regular basis. The USAF tried it too in the early 80's (1983....i think) when the Langley based 1st TFW fitted FAST packs to their F-15C's and flew sorties with Mk84 dumb bombs fitted directly to the wing pylons or Mk82's on MER's. The test was short lived and the idea of using the F-15C in the air-2-ground Rapid Deployment Force role faded away.

I've got acouple of grainy pics of "FF" coded Eagle taxing all bombed up somewhere on disc

Thought I'd repeat here a question I asked earlier that is a bit buried in the build thread; In the not unlikely event that I mess up the task of cutting the end off the nose of my F-15, I'll need to get a replacement. I guess that the only way I can do that is to buy another kit but, as the Hasegawa kits are expensive, especially D's and DJ's, is there another Hasegawa F-15 kit that has the same nose/cockpit molding as the D/DJ kits? I was hoping that the C's and E's might be the same as they occasionally crop up for less than crazy D/DJ kit prices.

Phil

Phil, the question is how much of the nose are you cutting off. IF its just the radar dome then I suspect any kit's nose will do. Coming up to the canopy I'm not sure, but I suspect you will be okay. 

Phil, the question is how much of the nose are you cutting off. IF its just the radar dome then I suspect any kit's nose will do. Coming up to the canopy I'm not sure, but I suspect you will be okay. 

Well Neu, I will need to cut fairly close to the tip but, the Hasegawa kit has the nose included in the cockpit molding section and is split lengthways.

This pic gives a rough idea.

DSCN3876_zps10498c9f.jpg

So I was wondering if this part is common to all Hasegawa F-15's or is unique to the D/DJ boxing that I have (although this particular boxing is the TF-15) because if I cut incorrectly and still have the stomach for carrying on, I suppose I'd need a whole new kit to get another nose section and I hoped that I could look out for any Hase F-15 version and pick the cheapest.

Oh my gawd.....I can't believe it! An F-15 GB on Britmodeller no less. :o

This will be exciting to follow. Go for it guys :bounce:

The Eagle is my all time favourite aircraft so I look forward to watching all of the builds develop. Three months is too short for me to join as I know I could n't build one in that time. (It has to be 1/32nd scale for me..... :bleh: )

I am going to check out all of the builds and drool though. :Tasty:

Have fun everyone. :clap:  :thumbsup:

Well Neu, I will need to cut fairly close to the tip but, the Hasegawa kit has the nose included in the cockpit molding section and is split lengthways.

This pic gives a rough idea.

DSCN3876_zps10498c9f.jpg

So I was wondering if this part is common to all Hasegawa F-15's or is unique to the D/DJ boxing that I have (although this particular boxing is the TF-15) because if I cut incorrectly and still have the stomach for carrying on, I suppose I'd need a whole new kit to get another nose section and I hoped that I could look out for any Hase F-15 version and pick the cheapest.

I took these photos:

6I10.jpg

6I9.jpg

6I11.jpg

Also this one: 

6I7.jpg

Neu, I'm really sorry, I forgot to mention that I'm 1/48ing. However, your 72nd A does look the same in shape and proportion so I fancy that any Hasegawa molding will suffice.

Phil, I did consider an alternative company's D or even E but I assumed that any alternative would likely have a very different appraoch to the cockpit/nose area. I also figured that it would more than likely result in a huge step at any join as no two companies seem to agree with size and shapes of the same aircraft types. I will have a google round for some Academy sprue shots anyway.

Thanks for the offer Dave and thanks for the encouragement Phil. By worrying so much about a replacement it is being a bit pessimistic. I shall approach it with great self belief and confidence! (Then I'll PM Dave for the spare part!!)