Picked up an academy 1/100 scale one today, it was on sale for a fiver....don't judge me...if I do that I think that's all the scales covered, and now I'm thinking of a 1/144 sea eagle if what ifs are ok..it would use a hornet for donor parts.

I picked up a Dragon 1\144 F-15A ASAT, didn't even know they did them.  So I think thats 5 models I am thinking about for this GB.. I didn't even make that many last year! :P  This'll be fun.

On a semi-related note, does anyone know of anywhere I can get find "squadron badges"?  I've found one for the F-15 ACTIVE but it's the IFCS variant I am making and a totally different "badge", actualy I've found two different badges for the ACTIVE.  I've tried everything I can think of, NASA, Dryden Flight Research Center, McDonald Douglas (aka Boeing), various other websites... even my google-fu is letting me down! :(  I've seen some models with the actual logo, but as per usual the picture is either so small or grainy it's pratically useless.  Or if anyone knows of any decent books that has it in?  While searching I found this little baby http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiet_Spike never heard of it before.  Looks cool too. :)

EDIT - Scrap that, I just found an experiment report that has it in the top corner.  Google-fu 4tw!  Been searching two hours for that bugger.

Dazz

Edited by Dazzio

Dermot,

If your still doing the 9/11 77-0100 jet they were full MSIP jets by 2001.

So it would have the updated IP,you'd need to check the antenna blades under the nose, they maybe the original style or late sweeped back type. Chaff/Flare buckets forward of MLG bays. F-15C style wheel hubs, Sabre drains would be removed as would the tail stinger leaving just the hook sticking out the back ala F-15E. Weapons rails would be the later LAU-128's with ADU-552 adaptors.

Change what you want or just build it out the box and have fun.

As a side note i got to sit in 77-0100 once way back in 1992 when it served as the Sqn Co flagship jet at Soesterberg with the 32nd TFG

Thanks for all the info! I might just go OOB and try to improve my skills on things like seams/paint/finishing etc...

Nice work sitting in 77-0100 - any pictures to share?

I'm still debating whether to join or not as my modelling time is potentially limited in the next 3 months and I want to keep up my 100% completion record in GB's!!!.  

If I do it will be with the 1/48 Revell F-15E (can't remember which boxing) with some AM decals for a Mountain Home bird

I'm doing this one too Andy - go on!!!

Can anyone tell me if I'll need nose weight in a Hasegawa 1/48 Eagle to avoid tail sitting? I've got plenty to do before I reach that point but it would be good to know. Thanks.

Would anyone know the Gunze paint numbers needed for the blue aggressor scheme? Quite ill prepared for this GB, I'm still gathering everything needed

Hi Dan, I just did a quick search and found this.

Overall camouflage scheme of FS 35450 air superiority blue (a light blue) and FS 35109, a darker shade of blue.

There is also FS 36176 and 362251.

You can convert the FS numbers to gunze colors on their website.

These colors are from the Afterburner decal set so you may want to confirm with the decals you are going to use.

Hope this helps,

Rob

Hi Dan, I just did a quick search and found this.

Overall camouflage scheme of FS 35450 air superiority blue (a light blue) and FS 35109, a darker shade of blue.

There is also FS 36176 and 362251.

You can convert the FS numbers to gunze colors on their website.

These colors are from the Afterburner decal set so you may want to confirm with the decals you are going to use.

Hope this helps,

Rob

Hi Rob, cheers for that, seems there is no paint available from any manufacturer that is an exact match for either of the blues. I'm going to have a crack at mixing a batch up as close to the reference pics I have as possible.

Would anyone happen to know if Hasegawa's double seater model's canopy is the same size as the single seater's?

I have discovered the part in the kit to cover the back seat, and it would allow me to do my first choice of build,TIA

Sean

Would anyone happen to know if Hasegawa's double seater model's canopy is the same size as the single seater's?

I have discovered the part in the kit to cover the back seat, and it would allow me to do my first choice of build,TIA

Sean

Hi Sean,

Sadly, the short answer is 'no'.  The main difference being the profile, the twin seater canopy is more bulbous whereas the single seater has a flatter, more angled profile.  The footprint of the two Hasegawa canopies are the same but are slightly different at the point where the canopy hinges.  The Hasegawa kits use a fuselage insert just behind the cockpit and the two seater insert is steeper where it meets the canopy.

Cheers,

Sean

• Like 1

Can anyone send me a scan of streak eagle decals? I know its a long shot, can't get a good pic off the net, may do this on my 1/100 build as kit doesn't have much options

Mark I hope you mean the artwork for placement and not the decals so they can be copied. We can't condone this as it is tantamount to copyright theft.