Hobbyboss 1/32 Spitfire Vb tropical.

ajaycad

Thinking of adding this one to my stash - has anyone built this example from Hobbyboss, and if so, are there any issues and how does it compare to Tamiyas offerings in the same scale.

For the £26 that it costs the Hobbyboss kit will give you get hours of fun but it most certainly is not in the same ballpark as far as accuracy as the Tamiya kits, Tamiya do not make a Mk V so it is either the Hobbyboss kit or the old Hasagawa kit if you want a Mk V, note that the Tamiya kit will cost you in excess of £110.

Here are some reviews.

http://www.britmodel...yboss +spitfire

Aftermarket

http://www.britmodel...yboss +spitfire

And another review

http://www.scaleplas...-from-hobbyboss

Cheers

Dennis

Edited by spitfire

A friend of mine ordered his own, and is already in his stash. I had the chance to take a look at it (not my scale, anyway), and despite the afore mentioned inaccuracies (see Dennis' links), seems to be a nice kit overall.

Build it and enjoy it.....Not an expensive kit, nor a Tamiya neither. Would be a real head turner with some care and love...I think about it next to an Austin Tilly and some mechanics lurking around. A nice diorama, indeed.....

Cheers...

Just finished reading a few reviews. It appears that there is a major accuracy issue with the cockpit windscreen. The Hobbyboss kit depicts an earlier variant with the armoured glas on the exterior, whereas it should be the version with the internal armoured glass. There are other issues re the wing bulges, but I could live with that. Anyone know of a correction set for the canopy issue?

The canopy is the sticking point, I have some old Hasagawa canopy parts that may be made to fit, but it would be nice if someone came out with a correct canopy, there was a build over on Hyperscale where someone used a spare Tamiya canopy that looked good, but would be an expensive fix.

Cheers

Dennis

Could the Tamiya kit be modified to depict a Vb tropical?

Isn't the Tamiya kit a Mk.IX...???? If so, it wouldn't be an easy work to backdate it to represent a Mk.V......Apart from the nose and propeller assembly, you'd need to rework the wings and look for a pair of four spoked wheels......

Maybe an spare canopy from an old Hasegawa kit would fix the Hobbyboss' windscreen issue...

Cheers....

I think the best option is to find an old hasegawa Vb and transplant the canopy from that. If I remember the Hasegawa kit comes with both old and newer style windscreens - Hobbyboss take note!!

I've built the standard HB MkV, and I have the trop VB in the stash, the Hasagawa option is pretty straightfordward, it fits pretty well, just a small amount of filling would be necessary .. the HB Spit , once the obviouse issues have been settled is a a pretty decent kit,

I've got this in the stash. I picked it up for £25 I think and that seemed a bargain given the amount of plastic you get.

The standard V was reviewed on here and the issues are the cockpit plus the aforementioned windscreen. The former can be dealt with and the Eduard etch will hide a lot of the issues. I am still waiting from someone to tackle the windscreen however.

Tigger Wilkes (of this parish) did a build in MAI of the standard V and it does come out pretty well.