Finished newbie dioramas in 1/48 scale: p-51, p-38, p-40, Fw190, Mossie, and Duck

Hello and good morning, This is my first post and I am relatively new to the forum.

My name is Ed and I recently got back into modeling when during a house move my fiancée discovered a few unbuilt kits sitting in a box left over from my childhood. She persuaded me I should have a go at building them - Now I've rediscover the model making bug and thought I'd share my pretty amateurish results with you all. I'm a member of a motoring forum and through a mutual member both here and there, decided I should post up my efforts. Hope you like.

All comments appreciated.

Regards,

Ed

Finial result - Display cabinet.

Ikea cabinet with 3 additional shelves with individual shelf lighting (Christmas pressie)

Display_main_zps63b80c90.jpg

P-40 Kitty Hawk

KittyHawk_main_zps2b461920.jpg

KittyHawk_side_zps13b56cf9.jpg

KittyHawk_closeup_zps5987fc34.jpg

FW190

FW190_main_zpsb0453bce.jpg

Fw190_closeup_zps94917fec.jpg

Mosquito

Mossie_main_zps0124954a.jpg

mossie_closeup2_zpsc82dbb06.jpg

mossie_closeup_zps190b9d15.jpg

P-38

P-38_main_zps69efc44c.jpg

p38_closeup_zpsb7ae591d.jpg

p38_closeup2_zpsc348f890.jpg

P-51

P51_main_zpsd58b8235.jpg

p51_closeup_zpsb454dc67.jpg

Duck (0n water)

Duck_main_zpse703ae54.jpg

Duck_closeup_zps8ed82481.jpg

Duck_side_zps8cbc4d66.jpg

• Like 2

Those are really good!

As a matter of interest, where did you get the extra shelves? I'm sure I have the same cabinet but I searched for extra shelves when I was in IKEA and couldn't find any? Are they an IKEA thing or did you get them made specially?

Thanks

Gary

Well,I must say Ed,your Mrs had a rather good idea didn't she.

I like a bit of a display base myself,I feel it just adds that little more than just displaying

the aircraft on it's own.

Particular favorites for me are the Mossie and the P-38,makes me think of the wartime phrase:

"At an airfield somewhere in England,our aircraft are prepared ready for another combat sortie..."

Well,I must say Ed,your Mrs had a rather good idea didn't she.

I like a bit of a display base myself,I feel it just adds that little more than just displaying

the aircraft on it's own.

Particular favorites for me are the Mossie and the P-38,makes me think of the wartime phrase:

"At an airfield somewhere in England,our aircraft are prepared ready for another combat sortie..."

Have to agree, model making certainly beats brussel sprouts and TV soaps over the Christmas Holiday.

Thank you for your kind works :)

The P-38 was actually inspired by a painting called "p-38 winter 44". Have a look on google images.

Those are really good!

As a matter of interest, where did you get the extra shelves? I'm sure I have the same cabinet but I searched for extra shelves when I was in IKEA and couldn't find any? Are they an IKEA thing or did you get them made specially?

Thanks

Gary

I had the shelves made at work. Made from perspex as toughened glass was very expensive.

The brackets are wire loop claps you can find at any good DIY shop. If you need any more advise, please let me know. Glad to help.

• Like 1

Well, what a collection to rejoin the modelling world with! Some great dioramas there, just great. Love the Fw190 dio, the cam net detail is fantastic and the 'blackman' working on the wheel.

Hi Ed - did i read this correct " my pretty amateurish results " well from what i can see there are none of them mate everyone of your model/dios are fantastic.lovely work and stunning paint and details well done mate . cheers stu

Thank you Stu, Thats very generous of you.

I've been browsing the projects and finished models here today and the conclusion is my talent is woefully short to be considered anything other than very amateur. Just how the heck you guys manage to control your brush work and add such find detail is a complete mystery to me.

Lots of reading and practice I think is needed.

:)

Very nice dioramas, a man after my own heart. What did you use for snow? I'v'e used artificial snow myself but it's not quite right,

Sean

Wow they are amazing, really atmospheric and the details would have me staring at them all day, they really come to life. What a great thing to have to stare at in your home!

Very nice dioramas, a man after my own heart. What did you use for snow? I'v'e used artificial snow myself but it's not quite right,

Sean

Hi Sean - Modelmates Snow effects spray. Looks really good on 1/48 scale, even better on 1/35.

Needs a light touch for sprinkles, but the can lasts a long time.

Even had enough to do our Christmas tree :D

Thanks for the kind words :)

Wow they are amazing, really atmospheric and the details would have me staring at them all day, they really come to life. What a great thing to have to stare at in your home!

Cheers mate. Thanks for the positive comments. Think I'm addicted now. :D

Edited by Suprastar3000
  • Like 1