New 1/48 Tornado IDS from Revell

tarlucan

Such as? Could you say what work they need please?

Forward fuselage is too short, the ring that joins the radome to the fuselage is too long ( F.3 size). wing glove leading edge too steep, fin looks a bit out too

Except that this is a totally new tool from scratch, having nothing to do with those (nor any other) kits.

That sounds like some good news

Forward fuselage is too short, the ring that joins the radome to the fuselage is too long ( F.3 size). wing glove leading edge too steep, fin looks a bit out too

What he means by "too short" is a question of a few mm's even on the 1/32 kit. The fin looks out because the rear fuselage is slightly too short (again, a few mm's) between the wing trailing edge and the stab leading edge which in turn makes the tail chord too long and slightly too swept. But these are very small errors.

The one thing that really hurts the overall look of the Revell 1/72 and 1/32 is the nose oleo. If not shortened (again by a few mm's and that's in 1/32) the plane sits nose high and that is not the "look" of a Tornado.

As an individual modeller, of course, you can draw your own conclusions, but such minutiae obviously matter to some.

Al

Edited by PHaTNesS

The only thing I'd add to comments regarding the 1/72nd scale kit is the shape of the radome. Its too symmetrically  conical (if that makes sense). I'm not entirely sure how best to correct this, but found that the resin nose in the Flightpath set is a bit too bulky -its fine for the Hasegawa kit - which is what it was meant for....

Looking forwards to this release, hopefully someone will finally release a good 1/48th Tornado after the disappointment of the Hobby Boss attempt.

I hope revel really make the effort on this one.

It the current RRP correct? (£22.99), a good deal if it stays at that price.  

Shaun.

Except that this is a totally new tool from scratch, having nothing to do with those (nor any other) kits. I know the guy who is doing the CAD design (which he's working on at the moment).

Jennings, therefore please mention to the guy who is doing the CAD to make it easy to do an F.3 as well.

Robert

Jennings, therefore please mention to the guy who is doing the CAD to make it easy to do an F.3 as well.

Robert

Italeri managed to do it with their IDS/ADV kits although the wing nib join is a PITA.

We can only wait and see .....its a long wait until October !!

Andy

• Like 1

Maybe this will spur someone on to release some up to date decals of RAF squadron jets with a full set of stencils!

Edited by Muzz

Except that this is a totally new tool from scratch, having nothing to do with those (nor any other) kits. I know the guy who is doing the CAD design (which he's working on at the moment).

Coool. Please let your friend know that we all count on him ;-)

Just went to the Revell website - not much to see there except that they got the dimesions right as far as I can tell and that the parts count (260) is much lower than that of the Hobby Boss version (416 according to their webpage) which surprises me a little. Maybe the Revell version will contain less weapons but I can also imagine that the wings might be without flaps etc to make them movable... Hopefully not - wait and see.

I better keep my Hobby Boss version untill there are more facts - maybe I can utilize some parts of it on the new Revell version. In any case I will not buy an Italeri Tornado right now to cross it with the Hobby Boss kit :-)

Edited by Caerbannog

Coool. Please let your friend know that we all count on him ;-)

Just went to the Revell website - not much to see there except that they got the dimesions right as far as I can tell and that the parts count (260) is much lower than that of the Hobby Boss version (416 according to their webpage) which surprises me a little. Maybe the Revell version will contain less weapons but I can also imagine that the wings might be without flaps etc to make them movable... Hopefully not - wait and see.

I better keep my Hobby Boss version untill there are more facts - maybe I can utilize some parts of it on the new Revell version. In any case I will not buy an Italeri Tornado right now to cross it with the Hobby Boss kit :-)

The HB kit is somewhat over engineered - IMHO -hence the high parts count! Interestingly the Italeri GR1/IDS kit 'only' has 117(or thereabouts - don't ask - though it made a change from counting rivets!!) parts............

... In any case I will not buy an Italeri Tornado right now to cross it with the Hobby Boss kit :-)

Sorry to disappoint You but the HB Tornado is over scaled overall !!

Nothing matches to nothing in crossing it with any other 1/48 Tornado,

looks the same problem that HB did in the A-7s Corsair II , both

kits looks more "fat" .

Tonka

... In any case I will not buy an Italeri Tornado right now to cross it with the Hobby Boss kit :-)

Sorry to disappoint You but the HB Tornado is over scaled overall !!

Nothing matches to nothing in crossing it with any other 1/48 Tornado,

looks the same problem that HB did in the A-7s Corsair II , both

kits looks more "fat" .

Tonka

Agree, I hoped to fit the Italeri Canopy to the hobby boss kit but they are a lot different on the rear hinge area!

Shaun.

• 6 months later...

Is there any new news on the Revell 1/48 kit? I just dusted off the Italeri kit-in-progress, sanded a few seams and very dry putty patches, cursed the finicky bits around the intakes and wing folds and put it away again. I was considering buying the HB kit until I came across this delightful bit of news.

Revell has a release date of January 2014 on the site now

:rant::mg::angrysoapbox.sml::whip: Bloody Revell , for delaying it you'd just better get it right .......Wonky gits... :fight:

I prescribe you several of these...... :chillpill::chillpill:

Take release dates as a best guesstimate ...at best !

Im certainly more than happy to wait a few more months for the kit if its only half as good as the 1/72 kit. ......which it wont be......Im hoping it will be twice as good :D

Andy

When has a manufacturer ever kept to a release date? Revell's 109 is about 8 months late so why would this be any different? Just think of it as time to build all your Italeri and Hobby Boss kits in he stash

Tim T heading for the loft....