Airfix Seafire spinning Props

nick

Having waxed lyrical about how to spin a prop, I thought I'd put my money where my mouth is.

So here is original Seafire photo from Duxford in 2010:-

8330579458_8079dd9c6b_b.jpg

A small photoshop smart-fill later, no seafire.

8330580558_c1094d034e_b.jpg

Cue ropey, lashed up, OOB airfix Seafire, this is with zero photoshop-age, hence shadows. I printed the background, built the model with a steel rod in the wingtip (which you can see) made a hole in the photo for the rod, clamped up using live view on the camera to get the angle about right and spun the prop very slowly with my airbrush and a shutter speed of about or second or so. The only mod was a brass shaft for the prop and and a brass tube epoxied into the fuse to accept it.

8330565936_1888c4a082_b.jpg

Good fun actually. by cannibilising the kit decals I was able to get enough for the photo, eg pinching both '3's, cutting an 8 into a six, making the 'VL' from scratch, etc.

Pilots crap and I haven't properly detailed anything yet, but quite pleased with the result. Also added about 33% to my annual build total in one go!

Nick

Edited by nick

That's clever, Nick!

How will you remove the rod from the steel rod? Your Seafire looks really good. I don't think the pilot's c**p, frankly - I gave up trying to paint figures in any scale a long time ago.

I look forward to seeing the finished pic.