Sword Spitfire Vc trop - 185 Sqn

JackG

Not my usual scale, but here's my stab at a 1/72 scale Malta Spitfire. The specific aircraft markings are from Xtradecal X72-161 The Battle for Malta RAF set, but I did use the kit's stencils. I added Quickboost exhausts, but had to scratch add the piping located to the rear of the stacks, made of 0.5mm styrene rod.

Also had an Eduard PE set, but only used the screens for the larger radiator, but main reason for this AM product was for the landing gear doors. The kit's parts were too thick and actually sat on top of the wing instead of being flush - this was about the only complaint with this kit, that and the stencil placement, the orientation of which sometimes conflicted with other sources.

The yellow codes were characteristic of 185 Squadron. A decade old SAM publication states yellow was chosen because at a distance it blended well into the dark earth and midstone scheme. Xtradecal also portrays the aircraft as such. The more recent Osprey publication on Malta aces is different. It retains the yellow codes, but is finished overall in some sort of blue-grey scheme. As a compromise, I've introduced the unknown blue-grey (possibly extra dark sea grey) only to the nose area. I also added a very faded (barely noticeable) look of this colour on the wing and tail surfaces via weathering powders of the appropriate colours.

One of several pilots that flew BR294 was Canadian Wilbert Dodd. He actually flew this particular aircraft to Malta off the carrier Eagle during Operation Bowery, March 29 1942. This Spitfire was eventually struck off charge due to extensive damage from actions of July 1st and 2nd.

regards,

Jack

405179268.jpg

405179270.jpg

405179274.jpg

405179277.jpg

405179280.jpg

405179281.jpg

405179284.jpg

405179288.jpg

405179290.jpg

405179293.jpg

405179296.jpg

405179298.jpg

405179300.jpg

405179303.jpg

405179305.jpg

Edited by JackG
  • Like 3

Warris, atdb27, Parabat, MIRAGEF1, Dave , bunnylurve, JanuszPL, Mike, and Eirie - thank you all for the comments.

I think the finishing flat spray is what gave this the most dusty look. I usually use Testors dullcote, but ran out and only had a bottle of Lifecolor Matt Clear (LC 27). This stuff seems pretty potent, even cutting it down 75% with water and adding a couple drops of future in the airbrush cup, it quickly dulled things down with just a few passes.

The wearing on the wing roots is simply just grey pencil crayon, with a few flecks of silver crayon also thrown in. As mentioned, I did lightly brush some greyish blue powder over the surfaces. you can see the midstone is duller compared to fuselage codes area, which was not touched. I used MiG's Burnt steel blue, toned down with some black and white powders, which is quite a strong pigment on it's own.

The oil staining on the undersides were originally overdone. So instead of doing a total makeover, I cut several strips of masking tape and layed them down in the patterns as they are seen now (you can make out 4 prominent streaks) and then sprayed the underside colour. A final touch up with the hairy stick, and bob's your uncle.

regards,

Jack

Edited by JackG

Please correct the obvious error in the scale you have posted -- there is no way that is as small as 1/72 :lol:

Absolutely excellent work, and some useful tips on the weathering

woody37, Ian, model_insania and Belle:

- thanks for looking, I appreciate the comments.

Note, I have since replaced with a new set of photos using a white background. The quality has improved as I think the black was absorbing too much of the natural lighting. I have also enabled the flash, but did place a tissue over it to avoid too much starkness.

regards,

Jack