Dambuster AJ-Z "Zebra" Revell 1/72 - Finished at last !

woody37

Building this as part of the Bomber Command sig in prep for the 70th anniversary events that are happening in May.

AJ-Z was flown by SL Henry Maudslay and was part of the first wave sent to attack the Eder Dam. He attacked between 01.30 and 2am, having two failed attempts before dropping his upkeep. The bomb bounced over the damn exploding on the otherside which is believed to have damaged the aircraft. Sadly, on the return leg, their Lanc was shot down over Emmerich at 02.35 with the loss of all on board. This is my tribute to that crew.

The plan..
Largely out of the box, there will be a few aftermarket replacements, namely the wheels and gun barrels which are not great in the Revell kit. I'm also using the mask set which I've come to like very much !!
I'm also going to see if I can get the Falcon front turret (designed for the Airfix kit) to fit to improve the look of the nose area too unless anyone else has already tried and failed ????

aftermarket.jpg

Well documented is the issue with the dihedral on the wings being too low, so following a tip I've seen somewhere, the wings were assembled and the main gear bay spars inserted for strength. A slit in the lower wing was then made with the razor saw and a plastic shim added which 'forces' the wing into the correct dihedral...

The unmodified wing (apologies for the poor pics, I've not got my stuff set up properly)
wing_orig.jpg

The corrections to the starboard wing using 0.5mm plastic shim...

wing1.jpg

wing2.jpg

wing3.jpg

Cheers, Neil

• Like 5

Good start Neil, I've also managed to get the wings done plus added the Eduard cockpit, QB guns and made a start on the PE gear bays and resin wheels................................just in time to hear about Airfix's new one !! :banghead:

Using Bill's excellent model as inspiration.......might actually get round to posting some pics when I've got somewhere to model !!

I'm watching this very keenly (I do watch all your posts, Woody - always worthwhile).

Ive been putting off building my Revell Mki/III Lanc. because although I've heard about the wing correction you've used, I've had the nerve to do it! Now perhaps I can try.

I'm really pleased Airfix are to release a Mk II Lanc - tried twice, using Halifax engines (not really a good attempt) and once with Aeroclub (a little better but far from good). Both fails were due to my ham-handedness not the various parts used!

Anyway - popocorn piling up so I sahll just watch!

Cheers guys.

General, which is this build of Bills you refer too ? Always on the look out for tips n tricks n inspiration :)

I was tempted to get some etch flaps but never got round to it.

Jonny, this is the first time I've done this although the fourth Revell kit i've done (Mk.I never knew about it until after the build, then a Manchester conversion, then a B.II CMR conversion). It really is quite easy as long as you have the drawing to compare against, I had to adjust the packing a little on the second wing to get the angle right. Once right, I just then covered the join in liquid poly then filler when dry.

Paul, I've never done a Hasegawa kit, so would love to see a build thread of yours :)

Here's a pic of the wheel bay in the BBMF one, plenty of opportunity to add some detail...

wheelbay.jpg

Neil, there's a good article on correcting the kit by ianlanc on the WW II Aircraft.net site a while back. I'm sure he won't mind a link to it,

http://www.ww2aircra...uild-23405.html

There are lots of little errors, as there seems on all of them one of the worst aside from the dihedral issue seems to be the engine facings which look too wide, but can be altered and the incorrectly positioned escape hatch atop the fuselage, I'll be cross kitting with an Airfix donor kit to sort some things out,

Bill was the big hairy Frank Zappa from Philadelphia lookalike on the BC table, he did well in the comp at Telford withhis DB Lanc.

Not aware of the problem with the outer nacelles, mine are fine too., unless he means the angle with the dihedral added?, no problem as the nacelles are separate pieces and easily aligned.

I've got the extra flap stuff, ( included in a load of Lanc bits that the late John Godfrey gave me, bless him), but won't be adding it to this one., there's enough work to do as it is !!

Cheers Andy, I had seen that a while ago but forgot about it. Hmmm. I never knew about the front escape hatch. Ignorance was bliss !!!!

The resin wheels I've got have the same problem as Ians, so I'll try to replicate what he has done for axles as I've got some thin brass rod, I knew it would come in useful !

Got the wings and engines done today although I think I'll get some resin carb intakes so they're not on yet. I'll get some piccies up tomorrow. With the wings on the centre spar, it lines up well with the drawing from tip to tip so I'm happy with the progress.

It will be very interesting to watch this progress... I've never built another 1/72nd Lancaster other than the Airfix classic, which I still maintain is the most accurate 1/72nd scale offering out there. I wonder how the new tooled one will shape up?

It seems you sorted the dihedral issue well here, and it'll be a huge improvement over the kit's original wing. I find it amazing that with the data available, plus real Lancasters to crawl all over, that manufacturers can get it so wrong. Still, that aside, it looks like a nice kit, and there's no doubt you'll work your usual magic

:popcorn:

Tom

Edited by tomprobert

I agree Tom.

I've decided to leave the radiators unmodified, correcting them falls into the 'too hard' category, I'm surprised there's no aftermarket replacements for these unless the ones for the Hasegawa will fit ?????

I'm still deliberating over the front hatch, whether to move it or leave it.

So progress so far. Wings are done and also been filling sink marks around the cockpit on the fuselage sides. Also followed IanLancs tip on creating a shaft (o.8mm diameter ) to support the resin wheels. 1mm spacers were made by drilling some plastic rod. I'm not going to rescribe the wings, happy with them as they are, you have to draw a line somewhere for sanity's sake !!!!

prime1.jpg

prime3.jpg

prime2.jpg

prime4.jpg

uc1.jpg

uc2.jpg

'popped' over to Duxford today with the kids (as you do) for some inspiration and got looking at the Lanc. The radiator intakes look like they could be reworked with little fillets in each top corner to give the rounded/blended look. Has anyone tried this ?

Cheers