1/48 Spitfire Kits.....

davidsm

Evening all. I have a plan to try to build as many different marks of Spitfire as is possible.

I was wondering if there are any certain kits i should avoid??

I have a Revell mk9 and airfix's XII and mark 1,1a 2. and a icm mk8 which i have no idea what its like.

Thanks David

I hear the Airfix IX and XVI aren't too hot.

For accurate late Merlins,ICM is the way to go.

They're a bit of work and need some good old fashioned modelling skills because

they're certainly not shake and bake Tamigawa,but you'll be rewarded with a pretty

accurate and good looking model.

This chap gives a pretty good treatise on building them:

http://www.hyperscale.com/features/2000/spitfireixconstructionrs_1.htm

Airfix's XII and 22/24 plus the Seafire XVII and 46/47 are crackers that build into very nice models

for not a lot of money.The new Airfix XIX looks set to be another "good'un" too.

There's a good thread on building an early Spitfire I from the Airfix kit in the Interwar GB that I'd say is worth a look. Having almost finished a Tamiya Mk.1 I certainly wouldn't dissuade anyone from using that kit although there are some who take issue with its shape and the same holds true of their Mk.V kit. The Hasegawa/Revell IX builds well but has shape issues so the new Eduard kit may supersede it soon. As Miggers says the ICM kits need attention but reward with a nice replica in several variations. From what I understand the Airfix IX is not good. While their Mk.V/Seafire III suffers from a thick wing it's not so bad as being impossible to make a nice replica from with some old-fashioned modelling. The Airfix XII is a nice kit and a set of replacement wheels will fix the stance of its undercarriage. Avoid the Academy XIV kits with their major shape issues and by all accounts the Italeri for the same reasons! The Hasegawa Mk.V/Seafire Ib seems unpopular as well. The Airfix Mk.22/24 is another very nice kit.

Are you keen to include the Seafire in that list or stick with the Seafire only?

Hi!

Having built a few (34) 1/48th scale Spitfires/Seafires here is my two cents.....

Mk.I/II- Airfix but you do need to fix the tail

Vb- Hasegawa. Even though it is small ( 1/50th scale?) it does build into the best looking V, just do not put it next to an Airfix or ICM kit.

VI- Hasegawa (only one out there), but it does need work like the canopy and rear bulkhead

VII- ICM, you do need to fix the tail wheel and canopy

VIII-ICM

IX-ICM

XII-Airfix

LF.XVIe-ICM

PR.XIX- wait for the Airfix

22/24-Airfix

For the Vc, there are Czech kits , but something looks odd about them. I have not really studied one yet.

High back XIVs, Start with an Airfix PR.XIX.

There are some relatively easy conversions, so shoot me an e-mail.

bad at cfl dot rr dot com

Bruce

For a high back XIV

Evening all. I have a plan to try to build as many different marks of Spitfire as is possible.

I have a Revell mk9 and airfix's XII and mark 1,1a 2. and a icm mk8 which i have no idea what its like.

Thanks David

Thnakyou for the reply there. I have seen what you mean by the Airfix mk9 kit! I have been attempting the mk16 from it and it is a bit poor, mainly brought it for the markings of MH434 though.

Can't wait for the pr19, do we know roughly when next year yet?

David

I'm the modeller who is currently finishing up the Mk 1 build in the Interwar GB. I've also acquired a few other Spits over the years. The list compiled below of 1/48 kits is my own thoughts on some of the more familiar types. Granted my own choices are likely going to differ with others, but let me just say there are multiple paths out there, depending on how much work you wish to do.

Spitfire Mk I/II:

Airfix's Mk I/II kit is okay, but not necessarily earth shattering. It is based on their older raised panel line Mk V kit. The control surfaces are a bit thick, but manageable. It has a Watts 2 bladed prop option in addition to the DeHavilland and Rotol prop options for the later Mk I and IIs, but some other work is needed in spots to do it up as a proper pre-war Spit unless it is a very late Watts prop equipped plane. Some of its parts come from the Mk IX, so certain items might have to be back dated as well (such as armor plating on the seat). It has some good options, but needs a little TLC in spots. At least the potential is there.

Tamiya's Mk I is probably the closest thing to shake and bake (meaning it builds very easily) you will find for a Spit I/II. It represents a BoB Mk I with a DeHavilland prop, so it has no armor plating behind the pilot's seat. Some purists don't like some of its shape issues, but to the vast majority of people out there, it "looks like a Spitfire".

Revell USA's old Mk II is pretty dated with raised panel lines, thick canopy and lack of inverted gull at the wing trailing edge. Plus its wings are a little short (closer to 1/50). But, it does make a good practice model to get some skills in before trying to hammer out a contest winner.

Spitfire Mk V:

Airfix's Mk Vb dates back to the late 1970s. Shape is regarded as the best, although raised panel lines put some modelers off. It has a lot of potential though. Airfix's Mk I/II also has a Mk V oil cooler, so it is possible to build it as a Mk Va (and it has been marketed in the UK as Bader's Va). If one wanted to, it should be possible to kitbash the I/II with a recessed panel Vc wing (such as one offered in the Airfix Spit Vb/Seafire II/III boxing) to get a fully recessed V model. But you have to deal again with some of the issues of the I/II kit (such as thick control surfaces).

Tamiya and Hasegawa have both done Vs. Both are very nice yet apparently have some shape issues. Tamiya's seems to be a little more shake and bake than the Hasegawa kit (meaning less work is needed to make the Tamiya one a show stopper). Hasegawa has also offered it with parts to make a Mk VI high altitude interceptor as well (pointed wing tips). You can also swap some bits around between Tamiya's I and V if you want to make a rare bird such as a Mk I/IIb (cannon armed, not many deployed due to gun jam issues) and a Mk Va.

Special Hobby has also done a Mk V (reboxed by Classic Airframes I believe), but I hear it is kind of pricey for what it is and was a little short of the mark in shape issues. Plus, since it is a limited production injection kit, it does require a bit more care to build than others.

Spitfire Mk IX (and VII and VIII)

Spitfire Mk IXs seem to be the subject that is most craved, most talked about and yet many modelers say there has yet to be a "good enough" kit issued to date. Eduard is coming out with an all new tool kit of the IX soon, but it isn't upon us yet and it remains to be seen as to if it will be "THE" Mk IX to end all Mk IXs, or another example of "back to the drawing board". As for the others:

Occidental/MPM/Italeri: This was the first recessed panel line Mk IX to come out and it got slaughtered for some apparent "sins" involving the shape. I admit it is a little chunky in a couple spots. But, it does seem to look like a Spitfire as the ones I've seen built seem to look the part. Plus, on the secondary market they can be found somewhat cheap because of its reputation. Italeri has offered it three ways with some nice decal options and the final one they've done was as J. Johnson's "beer truck" with two kegs strapped under the wings on the bomb shackles.

ICM: ICM uses their same core mold for the VII, VIII and IX variants, plus the XVI bubbletop. Lots of parts options, good shapes for the most part, but some of the early kits are let down by mold issues (apparently corrected in subsequent offerings). The open cowls with Merlin engine do tend to get in the way if you wish to build the bonnet all closed up, but that can be overcome if you leave the engine out and put in some blanking plates in the cowl pieces to glue the exhaust stubs to. Revell of Germany also offers the ICM XVIe bubbletop in its own packaging.

Hasegawa: Closest to "shake and bake" of the Spit IXs out there, but the fuselage behind the canopy is reported to be a bit too short and it can cause issues with some aftermarket decal sheets. It still looks nice when built though. Revell of Germany reboxed this one in their own line and it is a bargain compared to Hasegawa boxed ones.

Airfix: I wouldn't necessarily say Airfix's Mk IX is necessarily "bad", but it is a distant third (currently before the Eduard kit) to the ICM and Hasegawa offerings. It has thick control surfaces and kind of soft details in spots. It alongside the Mk I kit were tooled up at the end of the Humbrol Airfix era and it just isn't in the same class as Airfix's Mk XII. That isn't saying it is bad as it has some nice parts options (including a Mk XVI upper nose cowl). I've got one and I'm going to build it since I believe it has the makings of a decent Spitfire in its roots. The Airfix Club also offered it for awhile as a Mk XVI bubbletop as well with a unique tooled fuselage.

Spitfire Mk XII

Airfix is hands down the best Mk XII you can find compared to limited production kits and/or conversion kits offered. It has nice options, such as poseable control surfaces (ailerons, rudder and elevator). It is an order of magnitude better than their previous 1/48 Spitfire offerings and I admit I've been tempted to try carving off the nose and grafting on one from a Mk V to make it into a Vc (or other variants with some parts swaps).

Spitfire XIV

Academy I believe is the only provider of Mk XIVs currently. They've done a razorback XIVc and a bubbletop XIVe. They are okay, but have pretty chunky fuselages, meaning many modelers opt to get the Airwaves fuselage conversion set to slim them down to a more proper shape. It is hoped that after the PR XIX comes out that Airfix will do a proper Spitfire XIV since both aircraft are rather similar with the PR XIX being a recon airframe based heavily on the XIV. But, more than a few enterprising modelers will likely do their own conversion work by mixing and matching wings to do it themselves (resulting in a XIV and a PR Mk XI). The XIVe bubbletop will also work for an FR 18 as externally they looked dang close.

Seafire XV

Other than a really old Fujimi kit, Hobbycraft has done the XV (which itself is a recessed panel line copy of the Fujimi kit). Otherwise, combining the fuselage of the XII with the wings of Airfix's Seafire 17 along with other specific Royal Navy bits will probably get you there.

Seafire 17, Airfix kit, hands down. It has a folding wing option and many of the same parts options found in the Spitfire Mk XII.

Spitfire PR XIX: Airfix. It isn't out yet, but the test shots of it show it will have the same control surface poseability options that the XII has, which is pretty cool. Plus, by mixing and matching with Spit IX parts and some Milliput (or aftermarket resin) for the lower nose cowl, a PR X or XI should easily be possible.

Spitfire 22 Airfix

Seafire 46/47, Airfix

Not mentioned is the much travelled Otaki VIII. It had also appeared with Arii, Matchbox and Airfix.

It dates from the mid to late 70's but has some plus points:

* recessed panel detail (an early pioneer perhaps?)

* thin canopy (one piece)

* easy fitting

* on the Otaki version that I built when it first came out had nice matt transfers

* generally accurate outline (never seen any adverse comment on its general shape), but....

* no gull wing at all. Aeroclub and others did a cut and shunt correction for this many years ago

* apparently the cockpit although detailed I saw described by a former Spit pilot as "a work of fiction"

* exhaust stubs are a bit chunky and crude

Overall my memory of the build was being well satisfied at the overall result.

If you can find it cheaply enough and can live without the gull wing give it a punt.

Trevor

The hasegawa kit fuselage inaccuracy goes beyond a simple few mm lacking behind the cockpit: the missing length is distributed along the whole fuselage, so fixing it is very hard. The rear fuselage is also a bit shallow. If you don't mind accuracy, then it's a beautiful kit. Aeroclub did a correct fuselage for this kit.

Same for the Academy XIV kit: the fuselage is very bloated and the final result is bad for most spitfire fans. Aeroclub did a XVIII conversion to be used with hasegawa wings that will give a very good low back XIV too. Again, if you're not concerned with accuracy, the academy kits are great to build.

The same aeroclub did a Mk.21 conversion to be used with the Airfix 22/24 kit. The fuselage from this can be used with hasegawa or academy wings to make a high back XIV

For a Seafire XV, there's no need to kitbash anymore as Special Hobby just released the type. There's a WIP on this same forum. To be honest, kitbashing will likely be made obsolete within a few years for all versions as both airfix and the czech manufacturers are likely to cover all versions as they just did with the 1/72 kits.

Edited by Giorgio N

I'm just closing in on the completion of that task. Left to do are the PRI, XI, XIII and the Seafire 45. No doubt some of the older kit bashed models will be replaced as makers release kits. I find kit bashing to be quite enjoyable.

To be honest, kitbashing will likely be made obsolete within a few years for all versions as both airfix and the czech manufacturers are likely to cover all versions as they just did with the 1/72 kits.

I doubt that very much as some of the best Spitfire models I've seen have been bodged from bits scrounged here and there (such as a certain Seafire 45 that recently popped up in the gallery with bits from three different Spit kits). The Spit 21 and Seafire 45 I see more than likely as being done only with kitbashes of XIV and 22/23 or 45/46 airframes for the wings. Then there are some of the early mark PR Spits, the LR Spit IIs with the integral wing tank and some other oddballs which likely will only be covered as conversion kits as opposed to complete ones.

At least with the Airfix kits selling for about half of what the Czech ones go for, one could theoretically kitbash two unique variants together by mixing and matching bits for the price of one Czech kit for the most part. And as seems to be the case, one can never have too many Spitfires it seems. :)

I doubt that very much as some of the best Spitfire models I've seen have been bodged from bits scrounged here and there (such as a certain Seafire 45 that recently popped up in the gallery with bits from three different Spit kits). The Spit 21 and Seafire 45 I see more than likely as being done only with kitbashes of XIV and 22/23 or 45/46 airframes for the wings. Then there are some of the early mark PR Spits, the LR Spit IIs with the integral wing tank and some other oddballs which likely will only be covered as conversion kits as opposed to complete ones.

At least with the Airfix kits selling for about half of what the Czech ones go for, one could theoretically kitbash two unique variants together by mixing and matching bits for the price of one Czech kit for the most part. And as seems to be the case, one can never have too many Spitfires it seems. :)

It was the same for 1/72: everybody used to say "nah, the 45 is a rare version, there's no way we'll ever see an injected plastic kit of this one.." and now we have this and many others. It's just a matter of time as some producers have clearly stated their intentions on this subject. Sooner or later, every mark will be available straight from the box !

Of course every modeller will still be free to put together bits from different kits, the modular nature of the spitfire variants is perfect for this kind of fun.

Great summary, Jay.

David, do avoid the Starfix kits. Also the old Monogram kit is a fun build, but it is in no way competitive with current kits. Very much a product of the early-60s, retractable gear, no gear bays or cockpit details lots of raised dome-head rivets…

I have forgotten to mention the Vacuform kits.

The only ones in 1/48th scale are the Falcon kits from NZ. They do the 22/24, the Seafire 47, and a FR.18 along with a Spiteful and Sea Fang. And I need to mention the Aeroclub conversions, corrections and bits, along with the Airwaves corrections, and conversions. Airwaves do most of the PR versions.

Bruce

Thanks David

If you love the environment don't get the Airfix Mk IX. There is so much plastic in the box that once the contents have been taken out and inspected they are very hard to put back. That is because at least 25% of the content is redundant. In the last days of Humbrol ownership Airfix decided to make a Mk IX using new tooling and sprues created for the Mk Vc-Seafire Mk III kit. As a result you get a redundant "c" wing, arrestor hook, tail plane and 4bladed propellor, together with various lesser items.If yo also take into account the beefy sprues that the redundant parts are connected to then that is a lot of plastic you will probably be throwing away. You could, of course, try to recycle, but the spare wing (just like the one for the Mk IX) is horrendusly thick and the smaller parts are also quite chunky.

Have been collecting for years.

Here is my ratings of what I have, probably almost everything:

1/48 with ratings (1-12)

Tamiya Mk.IXc 1/32 12

Academy Mk.XIVc 4

Academy Mk.XIVe 4

Airfix Mk.I/IIa 7

Airfix Mk.Va 7

Airfix Mk.Vb 7

Airfix Mk.Vc/Seafire L.IIIc 7

Airfix Mk.IXc/XVIe 7

Airfix/Arii/Otaki Mk.VIII 4

Airfix Mk.XII 10

Airfix Mk.XVIe [Airfix Club members] 10

Airfix PR Mk.XIX*

Airfix Mk.22/24 10

Airfix Seafire Mk.IIc 7

Airfix Seafire Mk.17 10

Airfix Seafire Mk.46/47 10

AZ Models PR Mk.XI [basis ICM] 7

Classic Airframes Mk.Vc [fra Special Hobby] 7

Eduard Mk.Vc [fra Special Hobby] 7

Eduard Mk.IXc*

Eduard Mk.22/24 [fra Airfix] 7

Grand Phoenix Seafire 47/46 [fra Airfix] 7

Hasegawa Mk.Vb 4

Hasegawa Mk.VI 4

Hasegawa Mk.VII 7

Hasegawa Mk.VIII 7

Hasegawa Mk.IXc 7

Hasegawa Mk.IXe 7

Hobbycraft Mk.XIVc 4

Hobbycraft Seafire Mk.XV 4

ICM Mk.VII 7

ICM Mk.VIII 7

ICM Mk.IXc 7

ICM Mk.IXe 7

ICM Mk.XVIe (også Revell) 7

Italeri Mk.IXe [fra Occidental] 4

MPM Mk.IXc [fra Occidental] 4

Occidental Mk.IXe 4

Occidental Mk.XVIe 4

Planet Models Mk.21 [resin] 4

Planet Models Seafire Mk.45 [resin] 4

Special Hobby Mk.Vc 7

Special Hobby Mk.XII*

Special Hobby Seafire Mk.II 7

Special Hobby Seafire Mk.III 7

Special Hobby Seafire Mk. XV (2 fskl udgaver) 10

Tamiya Mk.I 10

Tamiya Mk.Vb (normal & tropisk) 10

Silver Cloud F. 14 Spiteful

Trumpeter Seafang

Trumpeter Spiteful

Heritage Models Supermarine 224 [resin]

It mostly have to do with accuratesse.

Litt Norsk slapp ut der!

Working on the ICM Mk. IX at the moment. Working in a remote location so only getting to do minor stuff, and cleaning up parts etc. But looks to be a very nice kit, if you take the time.

Cheers

H.

Litt Norsk slapp ut der!

Working on the ICM Mk. IX at the moment. Working in a remote location so only getting to do minor stuff, and cleaning up parts etc. But looks to be a very nice kit, if you take the time.

Cheers

H.

I agree - all the ICM Mks. VII, VIII, IX and XVI turn out nice, albeit with a bit of care and attention!

Ohy, it is Danish ...

My list, a little different set up:

1/48 with ratings (1-12)

Tamiya Mk.IXc 1/32 12

AS perfect as they may come.

Academy Mk.XIVc & XIVe (lav ryg) 4

A major problem with the fuselage which is

c. 1½ mm too high. Especially the nose is problematic.

Airfix Mk.I/IIa, Mk.Va, Mk.Vb, Mk.Vc/Seafire L.IIIc,

Seafire Mk.IIc, Mk.IXc/XVIe, Mk.XVIe (Airfix Club) 7

Common to all members of this Airfix series:

The nose raises to 1½ mm in front of the cockpit.

Airfix/Arii/Otaki Mk.VIII 4

no gull wing effect.

Airfix Mk.XII, Seafire Mk.XVII 10

The panels cut much too deep.

Airfix PR Mk.XIX*

Airfix Mk.22/24, Seafire Mk.46, Mk.47 (also Eduard Mk.22/24;

Grand Phoenix Mk.47) 10

Only a few minor points. Although problems with the shape of

theMk.47 intake. Grand Phoenix has the cure for that (a new

intake).

AZ Models PR Mk.XI [basis ICM] 7

Same pro et kontra as ICMs kits. Mk.XI can only be made

using the resin parts.

Eduard Mk.IXc*

Hasegawa Mk.Vb, VI 4

The classic Hasegawa mistake: too small (1/50?).

Hasegawa Mk.VII, VIII, IXc, Mk. IXe 7

Mk.VII, VIII, IX series has a fuselage about

2mm too short.

Hobbycraft Mk.XIVc 4

Primitive

Hobbycraft Seafire Mk.XV 4

Primitive. The nose is really bad.

ICM Mk.VII, VIII, IXc, IXe, XVIe 7

This series from ICM seems to have noses too narrow (are we

talking about 1 mm?).

Occidental Mk. IXc, IXe, XVIe (også Italeri & MPM) 4

Problems with the nose, almost hald Mk.IX half Mk.XI.

Planet Models Mk.21, Seafire Mk.45 [resin] 4

Based on Academy's Mk.XIV and repeats all the mistakes.

Special Hobby Mk.Vc (også Classic Airframes og Eduard),

Seafire Mk.II, III 7

The wing seems a little misplaced in comparison to the fuselage

Special Hobby Mk.XII*

Special Hobby Seafire Mk. XV (2 versions) 10

Seems more correct that the rest of the Special Hobby kits.

Tamiya Mk.I, Vb 10

Sometimes accused of having problems with the

fuselage, although not very easy to see..

Lemche

The problems with the Academy XIV are legion, not least being that the wing is about 50% too thick.

The worst problem with Academy is that the quality of the plastic is excellent (the rest is garbish) and therefore it has blocked for a decent Mk.XIV family for, it will soon be 20 years. The worst thing, even worser than no kit, is a bad kit.

Lemche

Thankyou all again for all the feed back. I have one more thing to ask! The trainer Spits ie T9 is it possible to model these?

Brigade Models used to do a fuselage conversion in both 1/48th and 1/72nd.

Not used one myself,they are supposed to be a bit rough'n'ready,but will make a passable Spit two-pew.

Saw a nice Tr.8 in 1/48th a couple of years ago at Crewe show.It's owner said it was based on the

ICM VIII but I never thought to ask how he'd done it :doh: