Airspeed Envoy colour

Ptmvarsityfan

Hi all,

Purchased the RS models Envoy at Telford and a

bit confused about the colour of the option for

G-ADCA of Portsmouth, Southsea and IOW aviation.

The box art shows a dark blue colour whereas the

registration letters on the decals are pale blue.

Not sure which, if either is correct. Cant find any

info on the net.

Cheers, Paul

Hi Paul,

Try Googling "Portsmouth, Southsea and IOW Airspeed Envoy". Under "Images" there are a couple of pics (unfortunately B & W) and a colour painting which I think RS must have used as a guide. There's also a copy of their logo which shows what I'd call a medium blue a bit like the sky on your avatar. You may find more if you trawl through some of the web pages as well.

Hope this is of some use. Also have a look here: www.ford-tri-motor.net/Textures/F/Ford/Bonus/BP-PSIOWAL.jpg

Dave

Edited by Fastcat

This model was on the competition tables at Telford a few weeks ago.

Lovely model and an attractive colour scheme.

I think if I was doing it I would try to match the blue of the decals to get uniformity (which is what may have been in 'real life') rather than attempt to create decals to match the paint!

I didn't notice the discrepency at the time, but the camera has picked it up. Then again you could argue it's a trick of light and they are the same colour.

Unless you can get an actual paint match I wouldn't bother. Who's to argue?

P1000811.jpg

Go on, make it, it's a lovely model! (Mine's in the pending tray, but I may do a different scheme)

deecee

• Like 1

I was pondering that myself Paul. The colour diagram on the back matches the colour of the decals, but not the illustration on the front.

Edit:- Looking at the info posted above the decals are closer than the box front. The other alternative to Deecee's suggestion of finding paint to match the decals is to scan the decals and use the image to create masks to spray the wing registrations the same blue as used for the rest of the airframe.

Edited by Dave Swindell

Thanks all

for some very useful responses, it does

appear that the box art blue is much too dark,

will go with the lighter shade. Thats

a loveley build, missed it at Telford although on

RS models stand there was a very nice example

in Czech colours which was in a darker shade of

blue. Looks like Rugrat recommended Xtracolor X146

for the blue, will look into that!

Cheers, Paul

• 1 month later...

Holy thread ressurection Batman!

Just wanted to say that I too bought this kit before Christmas. I got my local motor paint factor to scan the reg decals from which they produced an aerosol which is a perfect match. Not a particularly cheap option at £14 but then I have more than enough paint to finish the Envoy and a 1/48th Chipmunk project I have in the pipeline.

• 4 years later...

Wow! I just bought this today at a good price at the wonderful Hailsham Model Show. I too wondered about the blue used. I came across this while doing a bit of research before taking knife to plastic. See the link below;

http://www.hyperscale.com/2015/features/envoy72rh_1.htm

Written by someone knowledgeable about the type it seems and points out that the wing should be fabric covered as per the colour diagram in post by Britjet.

Hope this hlps if its not too late now.