ICM Spitfire VIII, "AVAGROG"

Hi everyone, calling this finished at last, seemed to fight me to the end, ICM`s 1/48 scale Spitfire VIII

SAM_5586.jpg

done in the markings of an aircraft of 79 Sqn, RAAF, at Morotai, New Guinea, 1945

SAM_5589.jpg

Decals from AeroMaster, Aussie Spitfires pt3, which was just as well as the kit ones didn`t seem to have any carrier film and disintegrated on contact with water.

SAM_5597.jpg

Even these fought me and silvered badly, requiring me to try and paint round them as best I could

SAM_5598.jpg

Otherwise it was just poor fit and sink marks that gave me grief, which I was warned about. Otherwise it`s a very well detailed kit.

SAM_5600.jpg

So here it is, warts `n all, hope you enjoy looking at.

(think I`ll try and convert an Airfix Mk IX next time)

• Like 1

Glad you stuck with it to the end as it shows what lengths a fan of the aircraft is willing to go through to get their model done to a standard they like (and after a few weeks of it on the shelf, all those troubling memories will fade into the background thanks to modellers PTSD). ;) She's a good looking machine to my eye. Nice work!

Do you have any closeup shots of the cockpit?

Glad you stuck with it to the end as it shows what lengths a fan of the aircraft is willing to go through to get their model done to a standard they like (and after a few weeks of it on the shelf, all those troubling memories will fade into the background thanks to modellers PTSD). ;) She's a good looking machine to my eye. Nice work!

Do you have any closeup shots of the cockpit?

Cheers JM, here`s the best that my dodgy camera work allows

SAM_5601.jpg

and

SAM_5603.jpg

I`ve always like the `AVAGROG' Spit and you`ve done a great job on it, well done for persevering! Its probably no consolation but the decals from the same Aeromaster sheet silvered on a couple of my models too despite a nice shiny surface for them to settle onto.

All the best

Tony O

Well done lad,well done.

That looks superb.

These ICM Spits need some good old fashioned modelling skills to build them

but boy are they worth it.

I have an XVI 97% done.It's been a bit of a mare at times,but now,well I see

what peeps mean about them capturing the lines of the 60/70 Series Merlin Spits so well.