Douglas A-4B/P Skyhawk Resin Upgrades for Airfix Kit - 1:72 Pavla

Douglas A-4B/P Skyhawk Resin Upgrades for Airfix Kit

1:72 Pavla

Airfix scored a winner with their well-regarded A-4 Skyhawk kit. Not only did it live up to the high standard that Airfix have now set themselves, but it was also released just in time for the 30th anniversary of the Falklands War in which the type was used by the Argentine Air Force. Now aftermarket firm Pavla have released some resin accessories to help you jazz up the basic kit further.

Douglas A-4B/P Skyhawk Cockpit (for Airfix kit)

a4cockpit1.jpg

a4cockpit2.jpg

The cockpit set features a replacement cockpit tub with sidewalls and rear bulkhead cast in place. Also included are rudder pedals, a control column, an instrument panel, and instrument panel coaming. A very nice ESCAPAC 1A seat completes the package. Detail on all of the parts is nicely rendered and looks extremely sharp. The parts are professionally cast and I couldn’t find any trace of bubbles on the parts in my copy. The seat has harnesses moulded in place, and they look absolutely outstanding.

bin.jpg

ESCAPAC 1A for A-4A/B/C/E/L/Q/P

a4seat1.jpg

a4seat2.jpg

If you don’t want to replace the entire cockpit, then this resin ESCPAC 1A seat will make an ideal and cost-effective alternative. As far as resin ejection seats go, this is up there with the best available, something with the photographs hopefully attest to. I believe this type of seat was also used in the A-7 Corsair II (I’m probably wrong though!), and for the price Pavla are asking it would be rude not to pick a couple up just in case.

bin.jpg

Douglas A-4A/B/C/E/P Skyhawk Wheels (for Airfix kit)

a4wheels1.jpg

a4wheels2.jpg

Following hot on the heels of the cockpit set is this neat set of resin wheels for the Airfix kit. The parts are beautifully cast without any bubbles or flaws. Detail is very sharp and the resin versions are a great improvement over the plastic versions contained in the kit. If you want to make the best of the Airfix kit, then why not pick a set of these up. They’ll set you back less than the price of a pint after all.

bin.jpg

Conclusion

Pavla’s resin upgrade sets seem to be getting better with every release. These items are well designed, well made and superbly detailed. They are also very good value. If you have the Airfix Skyhawk and can’t resist a bit of aftermarket detail, these items should be on your shopping list. Highly recommended.

Review samples courtesy of logo.gif

• 3 months later...