Tamiya 1:32 Mustang

lampie

Hi all.
I've recently made a start on my Tamiya mustang which I picked up at SMW 2011.
It's been,and continues to be, a very busy time for me but I'm making a determined effort to take a little "me time" and actually get some modelling done.
While I have a couple of other builds at various stages I thought I'd start a build blog for the Mustang in the hope that
I might get that extra bit of encouragement to actually crack on and get it done.

I'm going OOB, with only a set of seatbelts and some Grey Matter wheels to replace the kits rubber ones. I picked up a set of Roy Sutherlands cockpit decals at the same time as I bought the kit so I'll be using them as well.

What scheme I'm going for is undecided as yet, but I'd like to do something a bit different so we'll see what I can come up with.

The first few stages of the encyclopedic instruction manual cover the assembly of the Packard Merlin. Tempted as I was to add pipework etc I'm just going to build it as it comes. (I have a 1:18th Merlin to build which will get all the trimmings anyway).
Here's the engine. A base coat of my scale black (50/50 flat black and red brown mix), and some very thin filters of Tamiya smoke, Flat Orange, and various greys were finished off with a dry brushing of a few different greys and then a filter of Tamiya buff to draw it all together.

photo-2.jpg

photo3-3.jpg

photo2-4.jpg

photo1-5.jpg

I'm very pleased with how it came out, and I've moved onto the oil reservoir/ firewall section now.

Nige
:bounce:

Edited by lampie
  • Like 1

Made a bit more progress tonight and got the oil tank/ firewall attached.

photo4-2.jpg

photo5-1.jpg

Onto the cockpit area next.

Going to have to narrow down my ideas for the paint scheme soon as the kit includes different instrument panels and seats for different batches.

:pilot:

Nige

Looking good Nige.

It'll be interesting to see what markings you pick.

I've got this kit too....but it's a stalled project as i got burned out with AMS adding extra detail. I plan on moving away from the commonly modelled Fighter Groups so mine will be in 1st Scouting Force markings.

zoom.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've been through lots of potential paint schemes for the build but kept coming back to this one so it's going to be...........

cg-mpro.jpg

"Masters Mistress" of the 3rd Scouting Force.

Profile from Little Friends.

I've managed to make a bit of progress on this over the last few days.
The main components of the cockpit area are together( dry fitted) and I've made a start blocking out areas of colour ready for detail painting and weathering.

IMG_2095.jpg

IMG_2097.jpg

IMG_2099.jpg

IMG_2101.jpg

It really is a fabulous kit!

:cheers:)

Nige

That is awesome.. Very awesome indeed..

Personally I'm debating to get the Spit or Mustang.. But I've already got a Trumpy Mustang.. But this one's so nice.. But that bubbletop Spit is also gorgeous.. Will have to clear the decks first, methinks..

Thanks Michael.

I must admit I'm enjoying this one very much, but so much that the couple of others I have "in progress" are not progressing very much!

I need to get on with them though, as the Mustang comes together and takes up more space on the bench.

Trouble is,, its just such a nice kit! :) :)

:cheers:

Nige

• 1 year later...

I know I'm a notoriously slow builder but I didn't think it was this long since I posted on this, but today I finally closed up the fusalage.

image_zps6729fbd6.jpg

image_zps16cf8943.jpg

image_zpsa470c66c.jpg

image_zps09ff2464.jpg

image_zpsab40589c.jpg

image_zps613b3e88.jpg

image_zps438942cf.jpg

image_zps82e24200.jpg

image_zps7c47cf17.jpg

image_zps84e22236.jpg

image_zpsa8a44b77.jpg

image_zps7d4eb054.jpg

image_zps388a945d.jpg

Last parts of the dog kennel and then onto the exhausts :)

It'll be finished for Telford............................

:)

• Like 7

I like it and its shouting at me to get mine done, just got to scale the loft ladder and open the stable door lol

very nice indeed and a great choice in markings :winkgrin:

Clive

• 7 months later...

Time for the annual progress report :banghead:

At least it's starting to look like a Mustang now :)

image_zps8ef01389.jpg

image_zpsfb8f0ab7.jpg

IMG_6343_zps9381a911.jpg

I got slighly distracted by co authoring another book whilst banging my head against a brick wall with you know who trying to get them moving on book #1!

All together now......"It'll be done by Telford" :pilot:

Edited by lampie
  • Like 5

• 5 months later...

Ha, wow. You are really taking your time.

Funny thing is, even though I'm a member I found this thread via google pictures since I was looking for a build

Masters Mistress, but didn't find one. Except for this thread.

So... no matter how much time it takes, I'm looking forward to it :D

• 1 year later...

On 17 months since the last update,, I really must stop rushing these builds :)

Life got in the way BIG time but I'm now back in a dedicated mancave and getting some bench time in at last.

I pretty much burned out on NMF so went looking for a change and decided on Ole Flak Joe of the 357th FG.

The plane is to do this with all the markings being painted on and the only decals being on the undercarriage struts.

Now then,, where were we?...

Right,,

Pre shaded.

image_zps1f7lumad.jpeg

Underside painted NG,

image_zpsvk3n1h7t.jpeg

And suitably faded.

image_zpsenvldghm.jpeg

Topside painted OD..

image_zpsnj42paot.jpeg

And after the same treatment.

Photo%2028-11-2016%2019%2042%2037_zpsds3

Masking off.

Photo%2029-11-2016%2010%2045%2040%201_zp

• Like 4

I've always been interested in the huge Tamiya mustangs because they look like absolutely amazing kits. This one is coming along fantastically. I'm blown away by the detail, paintwork and subtle realistic weathering in the cockpit.

I was tempted to get one when I was in Japan earlier this year... 9000 yen for one (that's around 100 NZD) they go for around 250-300 NZD here so it was a steal. It may have been a bit impractical to bring back though :D \

Plus for someone used to 1/72 scale I think this would have been a bit too much model for me to handle

Edited by Squibby

Great build. I'm loving your weathering on the engine and cockpit. What did you use?  I'm currently building a 1/24 bf109e

and would love to get that subtle worn look you have.

I only just stumbled across this as I was looking for engines. Keep up the stunning work.

John

Cheers :)

The engine weathering is dead easy.

I just brush on a very dilute mixture of turps and burnt umber oil paint and leave it to dry for a couple of weeks.

If any areas look to be a bit thickly covered I just dab at them with a brush loaded in turps until I'm happy.

A little more progress with the painting today. Amazing how much difference a splash of colour makes.

Photo%2004-12-2016%2017%2034%2011_zpsjjz

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...