A-10C, 122nd FW "Blacksnakes"

amason61

Starting my new project in anticipation of some new decals that are forthcoming for the IN ANG. Gonna try to have one of the first A-10 Blacksnakes builds going.

Blacksnakesnose.jpg

Along with the external lumps and bumps that most all current A-10s carry, I am also going to modify the IP to include a second CRT found in the A-10C, plus I am going to add the Sierra Hotels awesome intake fan/shroud plus a few other goodies along the way.

IMG_0126.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

IMG_0129.jpg

IMG_0130.jpg

IMG_0131.jpg

IMG_0132.jpg

IMG_0133.jpg

IMG_0135.jpg

Edited by amason61

I've been putting my limited scratch-building talents to work to replicate something in 1:48 that could pass for an A-10C cockpit. Here's the HobbyBoss original kit part alongside the 2nd kit part that is undergoing surgery.

Would really appreciate any comments/critiques at this point.

IMG_1491.jpg

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1493.jpg

IMG_1494.jpg

some glareshield trimming, notch cut for the PE fire pull handles, and some spare resin rod and lead wire to replicate the two boxes atop the glareshield.

Sheesh! I wish someone would make a resin pit for the A-10C already!

IMG_1495.jpg

IMG_1496.jpg

IMG_1497.jpg

IMG_1498.jpg

IMG_1499.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, between Christmas, family, and an emergency root canal I haven't managed to make a lot of progress on my Blacksnakes build. I have, however, been keeping up with Sid de Koning's great build and taking copious notes. Mostly I've been fiddling with some Eduard PE bits and doing some minor scratch-building. Here's the update:

IMG_1503.jpg

IMG_1504.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

IMG_1509.jpg

IMG_1510.jpg

IMG_1511.jpg

IMG_1513.jpg

IMG_1515.jpg

IMG_1607.jpg

Can you say "hand-cramps"? Spent better part of today adding depth to the fuselage "rivets" with a sewing needle! Whew! Glad that's over. A little FloryModel wash to check the results.

Also opened a few fuselage vents and glues some mesh screen behind them.

IMG_1624.jpg

IMG_1625.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_1629.jpg

Mock up of the engine pods to show the vast improvement the Sierra Hotel Engine Inlet/Fan Assembly (part #48402) adds versus the HobbyBoss kit part.

SH on the left/HB on the right.

IMG_1654.jpg

IMG_1656.jpg

IMG_1657.jpg

IMG_1658.jpg

IMG_1659.jpg

IMG_1660.jpg

IMG_1661.jpg

The depth of the inlet, the shape and height of the cone, and the number of fan blades are spot on! Plus, the fan blades are a separate piece making the painting of the blades and the ring around the inside of the inlet a breeze!

I'd highly recommend this set to any future Warthog builders!

Here's the "almost finished" product (still have to spray the inlet dome):

IMG_1663.jpg

IMG_1664.jpg

IMG_1665.jpg

IMG_1667.jpg

Edited by amason61

Still working on the engine pods.  To get the Sierra Hotel fan assembly to fit you have to modify the kit engine pod by removing the front of the HB engine at the seam line.  Not too difficult.

IMG_1687.jpg

IMG_1688.jpg

The other issue with the HB engine pod is that it is completely hollow inside; totally lacking any detail when viewing from the back.  I decided to use a Revell A-10 as a donor kit and use the one piece rear shroud and rear exhaust inside.  As you can see it offers a decent amount of detail.  The only modification was to drill out the hole in the center, then paint and weather.

IMG_1671.jpg

IMG_1673.jpg

IMG_1674.jpg

IMG_1676.jpg

IMG_1691.jpg

Here is a mock-up of the HB/Revell versus the HB alone.

IMG_1677.jpg

IMG_1685.jpg

• 1 month later...
Got a little more work done today. Was trying to finish the cockpit/IP when the carpet monster ate the Fire-Pull handle PE! Now, I'll have to fashion a replacement. Otherwise it's shaping up. Not 100% accurate, but once installed it'll look the part of a A-10C pit.

IMG_2695_zps2ff731ff.jpg

IMG_2696_zpsa3834c2e.jpg

IMG_2697_zps6aaaaf35.jpg

IMG_2698_zpsd5c037e5.jpg