NOVO 1-72 SCALE JAVELIN XA778

Hi all,

I post most builds straight onto the RFI forum but thought I would do this as a WIP thread for a change. I have decided to make a representation of Gloster Javelin FAW.2 XA778 which I found in probably my most favourite book, Testing Colours British test, trials and research aircraft of A&AEE, RAE and ETPS since 1960 by Adrian M. Balch. I picked this up years ago but it is still available for around a tenner and is packed with colour photos which would keep any modeller going for the next 20 years! I am sure most of you out there have it in your reference library but if you don't and these type of aircraft are your thing it would be a great christmas pressey list addition!

_MG_6430.jpg

So this is my aim.

_MG_6427.jpg

_MG_6429.jpg

Having said that there are photos on the net of this aircraft in a lot cleaner and less worn state, looking like it has just come out the paint shop and I may aim for something more like that.

I also say my 'representation' as I am not a rivet counter and I am aware XA778 is a FAW.2 and my model as you will see is not! I have looked up the differences and it seems that this aircraft was a proototype for the FAW.7. The only differences I can see are the engines and the radar fitted. Of course I may be wrong and if there is anyone out there who can explain in more detail the differences I would be pleased to hear from you.

So anyway, the kit I found was the NOVO Javelin for a number of reasons:

1. I like the old kits they are simple and honest.

2. NOVO kits in my opinion build up lovely, with challenges aplenty for the modeller! (Kits are too perfect nowadays).

3. They are easily available (as no one wants them) and more importantly cheap.

IMG_6369.jpg

The kit is basic, with basic instructions and good decals, LOTS of flash and made of thick chunky plastic!

IMG_6370.jpg

The intakes on this kit are well, not there, so I thought I would create some using DAS modelling clay, this is like plastercine, but drys hard when left in the air and can then be shaped, filed etc. In my case I drilled out the intakes.

IMG_6424.jpg

_MG_6409.jpg

IMG_6400.jpg

The added bonus was this also acts as my nose weight!

More to follow soon.

Thanks for reading

Tommy

• Like 1

The intake solution is quite simple, you can get it at Hobby craft etc. Infact it was a guy on the maritime forum who got me into it, they use it to create waves around a model when it's on a board. It can be painted etc and lasts ages once opened as long a it is sealed properly. I've had that pack over a year! It is also good for really BIG gaps!

Tommy

Great idea, the Frog/Novo Javelin is a nice kit, we've seen some nice models from them to give us inspiration

This will be yet another of those I'm sure

That thick plastic gives you plenty to work with too

I like the stained, tired and very visible staining on the DayGlo, some careful thinned paint brushed in where the stains are would look awesome.

Funnily enough, I was giving a packet of Das a tender mauling last time I was in Mikes Models, I must have been thinking along the same lines for the model I'm making. I'll bite the bullet and buy the packet next time I'm in there

;)

Hope to enjoy following this thread thanks

bill

Edited by perdu

Hi all,

Thanks for all the comments and I am glad that a discussion has now started over the different colours of plastic, NOVO kits were made in, this could be a whole new forum!!

I have progressed and now as I have the added pressure of fellow modellers watching, I hope to deliver! ermmm

IMG_6417.jpg

So wings went on next and then the masses of filler which was needed for a kit like this. The DAS comes into its own again! I then sanded that down and used normal humbrol grey filler, sanded that down and did a final coat of filler using the awesome 'Liquid Green Stuff' from the citadel range. That is actually its name and is great stuff as it is a liquid, just a bit thick applied by a brush. Because its acrylic it doesnt smell and the brush can be cleaned with water. It is great as a fine filler.

IMG_6420.jpg

IMG_6419.jpg

IMG_6422.jpg

I then gave a coat of undercoat, using a citadel base colour, and then painted the areas which will be dayglo white as an undercoat. I have found the white makes the dayglo brighter.

_MG_6435.jpg

So thats where I am upto now, feel free to leave comments etc.

Many thanks for watching.

Tommy

Looking good so far, if you're changing the jetpipe area, these might help;

aviak049.jpg

aviak083.jpg

XA778 as the prototype for the Mk7 also had the intakes on the upper fuselage as on the Mk8/9, which weren't on production Mk7s

Steve

Steve, great drawings thanks for sharing them.

The wheels are not attached yet but thanks, I will remember mudguard to the back, do aircraft still have mudguards?

I have a confession. It was going really well until something happened to the paint I was using, an acrylic spray. I have used it before with no issues, but for some reason it either reacted with something or it was too cold! Not a total disaster and I'm now undertaking a damage limitation exercise.

I hope to be back on track by tomorrow, when I will post some more pics. These things are sent to try us, modelling would be boring if it all went to plan!

Tommy

Looking at the liquid green stuff (must check it out btw), reminded me of my build of a Frog original and what an awful fit the wing roots were!

Incidentally on the ZTS Plastyk clone the wheel wells are truncated by the inside of the wing root. Most of it can be carved (yes carved) out in situ.

Dontcha just love these old kits!

Trevor

Hi Tommy,

Now that looks like a very promising built especially, if you go for the worn state!!!!

By the way, can you have a look at your book and see if it has a Vampire in a dayglo paint scheme? Perhaps upload the photo....

I have somewhere the Frog kit and it would be nice to finish it in a similar paint scheme.

Cheers

Sernak