36 Burma Spifires found

chrisrope

I guess it's only to be expected that they would be waterlogged, the guys burying them probably never gave a thought to the issue of making the crates watertight and digging them up again at some future date.

Maybe the lack of oxygen might actually have helped the components resist corrosion, be interesting to see.

Wonder why they're holding up pictures of a MkVb? At least it's a Spitfire though.

Not sure I would agree with the Telegraph's summary of the role of the Spitfire "The single-seater Spitfire, which helped Britain beat back waves of German bombers during the war...". I think in people's minds the BoB and the Blitz are the only two significant aerial events in the war and they probably get them confused or merged into one.

I think the searchers are doing themselves no favours by maintaining their claims that the planes will be pristine. I hope that they find some Spitfires, but I still think it is unlikely.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Doug Rogers" data-cid="1207960" data-time="1357498495"><p>

Hopefully the BBC or someone are filming the excavation for a future programme, sounds like a job for Dan Snow.</p></blockquote>

Or Harry Harris, whose series "War Digs" featured the digging of quite a number of pits to recover lumps of rust and powdery deposits of aluminium oxide.

loved the advertisng for this i saw once

goes down quicker  then the luftwaffe over kent

If you want to see more of this advertising campain

here's the link

Not politically correct in any shape or form (for those who might be offended do not open the link)

Edited by jenko

hahah Dam Rotters they got me! I am going down to the pub..... Tell my wife that rounds on her I love her very much!

The awful bit was my computer decided to load the page slowly so I got caught thought we had proof of Burmese spitfires and punched the air and cheers.....

Dont even have a bottle near me..... You damn dirty rotters!

Yes I have been paying attention to this one..

This is new update so thank you for the link..

Just thinking out loud, if metal is buried in a box and water attacks it over fifty years or more, then surely that metal

in the box would become eroded . Rusted, damaged UNLESS The metal, in this case, the SPITFIRES

were " wrapped " in a steel cage, then placed in the wooden crate, then buried , then maybe the damage would be limited but that did not happen so I assume that elements such as wood + water + inclement heat + oxides in the soil would somewhat infiltrate into the iconic Spitfires.

I can't see them coming out so pristine....can anyone ? If they do then I will apologize .

INTERESTING Historical event for 2013. Good luck to all of them..

HOUSTON