Airfix 1/48th Messerschmitt Bf-109E

I put my name down for this group build then forgot all about it. I really have no idea how I'm going to get it finished in time, with all my current builds, but it would be wrong not to try. The kit is the Airfix 1/48th scale Bf-109 with a few aftermarket extras. It's going to be marked up as an E-7, which I believe can be built from the bits in the box.

The Kit: -

001.jpg

The Bits: -

003.jpg

The Extras: -

004.jpg

The Decals: -

006.jpg

Hopefully something to show soon

Pete

• 3 weeks later...

A little bit of work done on this one between other builds. I started by cleaning up some awkward ejector pin marks in the cockpit sides and wheel wells and then removed a lot of the moulded details. Getting the poorly moulded belts out of the seat was fun, NOT. Airfix, please, if you're going to do it then at least make the effort to do it right. I then added some photo etch to the cockpit (kindly donated by fellow BM'er Stoohoo, thank you.) which will give a little improvement to this area. I then gave it a coat of black followed by a coat of Revell Aqua Grey (RLM02) which is where it sits waiting for a gloss coat and a pin wash. I should be making better progress on this one soon but at least it's going forward. I've no idea whether this airframe was late enough for the interior to be RLM66, but I went with the earlier colour, if only because I think it looks better. Onto the piccies: -

007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

010.jpg

Back soon

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

You are out of the starting block now mate...looking forward to see this come together.

Cheers all,

Well I spent the morning doing last minute stuff and the early afternoon wrapping but did manage to squeeze a bit of modelling in after. The cockpit had been given a wash 2 days ago and today's job was to matt it down and dry brush some highlights. I've not gone overboard because I want to finish this one before the end of the group build, a target that has been known to evade me. Here's some pictures of where I'm at: -

011_zps313161d6.jpg

012_zps4a6414e9.jpg

013_zps5d3c64e4.jpg

014_zps1539d9c0.jpg

015_zpsc551c41f.jpg

016_zps2dac2ba0.jpg

017_zps2499e665.jpg

018_zpse5adc093.jpg

That's it until after Christmas Day, at least, but progress is getting made.

Happy Christmas to all

Pete

Cheers Stoohoo, the photo-etch worked a treat and added a bit of interest to the pit.

A small update of where I'm at. I'm almost ready for a coat of primer having got everything glued on that can be before paint. Just need to mask the canopy and the first paint step can get done.

This really is a nice little kit, well done Airfix, I've not really had any build problems at all. There's always the caveat 'So Far' to consider though but, all in all, it's a great kit for not a lot of money.

019_zps8f39dafa.jpg

021_zps6eae483e.jpg

020_zps5ced8214.jpg

I do have to say that the Pavla resin stuff is a bit hit and miss. There are a lot of air bubbles in the resin on some of the parts, which is a pain to deal and you shouldn't have to!! The underwing radiators also require a bit of fettling to make them fit which, again, is pretty poor for a simple resin part. Do they look better?, probably but I'm not sure that I'd bother again. The flaps however are probably worth the effort as they do look a lot better than the Airfix parts.

More soon

Pete

Nice Build Pete :thumbsup2:

I have made this one last year and it was quit a easy build.

The only thing I would change are the wheels. They look to thin compared to the Tamiya ones.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

Time for an overdue update, been busy doing DIY stuff and not enough modelling. I have however made some progress and should make the end of the group build in time. The paint is mostly on now,  I've just got to re-mask and spray the RLM 02 in wheel bays, flap areas etc which should get done tonight and then I can gloss it up for decals. I'm not completely happy with my attempt at mottling but, for a mottling newbie, it's not too bad. I do intend to redo a few patches though where I got a bit heavy. The trouble is the more you look at it the worse you think it is. A few coats of gloss, some weathering and a matt coat should tone it down a bit though.

Dan, sorry for the slow reply but it's going to be canopy open. I always like to see some of hard work done inside.

Onto the piccies: -

First in a glorious grey undercoat: -

022_zpsaad62072.jpg

023_zps5c2d6d58.jpg

024_zps05f1a815.jpg

And then with some colour on: -

027_zps2a32327d.jpg

028_zpsaeff086c.jpg

029_zps9c5aa75e.jpg

030_zpsc0c3cc82.jpg

Back soon(ish)

Pete

Cheers Guys, good to have some nice feedback and much appreciated. Having finished up the paintwork, including a time consuming white wall rear tyre, I then spent yesterday evening getting 3 coats of gloss on ready for the decals. This afternoon I made a start on those and am getting there, still lots of tiny stencils to go though.

The glossy bits: -

031_zpsf8708638.jpg

032_zpsb20b139c.jpg

033_zps9223710f.jpg

The decals so far: -

034_zps5149fce9.jpg

035_zps53fe28fd.jpg

036_zps2fa7d469.jpg

This really is a great little kit and I really want to do another in some Battle of Britain markings.

Pete

Nearly there, but still a bit to do. I had a moment today when I wanted to swear profusely but that wouldn't be the done thing. I spent about 3 hours making a spring and eyelets for the aerial wire, a nice little 'shuttlecock' thingy for it as well. I then went into the garage to spray it with some Alclad. All good so far, but that was until I pressed the trigger and the air blew it out of my fingers never to be seen again. Not a happy bunny, but out of adversity and all that. I'll just have to make another one.

Here's what I did achieve though: -

037_zps91ac1d7b.jpg

038_zps08eb2f37.jpg

040_zps88b7126c.jpg

041_zps38f40d59.jpg

042_zpsb497d173.jpg

All that's left is that aerial, grrr!!! and the canopy and it will be ready for the gallery.

Pete

• Like 1