Tamiya or Dragon Jagdtiger?

DaveJL

+1 on the Dragon (Revell reboxed it by the way.. Cheaper, though without any of the nice photo etched bits..).. There is one thing to remember.. The kit is based on the Jagdtiger at the Aberdeen proving grounds, which had its recoil dampers drained and then they fired the gun before abandoning it. This means that the barrel is modelled after the one that's stuck in full recoil position. You'll need to add a quarter of an inch or so of shim behind it. Basically lining the widest part of the taper on the barrel up with the mantlet.

+1 on the Dragon (Revell reboxed it by the way.. Cheaper, though without any of the nice photo etched bits..).. There is one thing to remember.. The kit is based on the Jagdtiger at the Aberdeen proving grounds, which had its recoil dampers drained and then they fired the gun before abandoning it. This means that the barrel is modelled after the one that's stuck in full recoil position. You'll need to add a quarter of an inch or so of shim behind it. Basically lining the widest part of the taper on the barrel up with the mantlet.

The recent Dragon Jagdtiger is newly tooled plus it comes with a very nicely done moulded on zimmerit. I do know the earlier one you mean which was repopped by Revell.

As regards which one then the Tamiya kit will be easier to put together but the Dragon kit does come with etchy bits in the box and having looked at the instructions APPEARS to be pretty straightforward (although read them carefully cos Dragon do like to throw in a few howlers) :)

This is the new one;

http://www.dragon-models.com/d-m-item.asp?pid=DRA6493

Thanks chaps, i'll have a look around for the Dragon kit.

I'm trying (or planning to) get all the 'crazy' German armour...Sturmtiger, Jagdtiger, Elefant, Brummbar and so on along with the King Tiger, Panther, Stug III, Jagdpanther, Jagdpanzer and, well, i'm sure there will be others!

Dave

Edited by DaveJL

just avoid the old tamiya box. real cheap kit but completely out of time for details and measures.

• 5 months later...

just avoid the old tamiya box. real cheap kit but completely out of time for details and measures.

Did Tamiya released a new tooled version Jagdtiger a long while ago...?

I was told by my armour guru that the Tamiya kit edges it in terms of shape, so I picked that one. New tool of course, as the original I built when I was a sprog was poor in terms of shape, tooled to fit the wired remote gear, rather than accuracy. :)