Ford GT40 kit query.

foxfriend

Hi FoxFriend

I'm pretty sure I saw one a year or so ago. Looks gorgeous! I have a few smaller ones, Fujimi and Hornby, and they're nice too. I seem to remember it had some fit issues when I read the reviews and was quite expensive but what a model!

Happy hunting.

Rick.

The Trumpeter 1/12 GT40 has been out for a while now. I built one over Christmas 2009 (took best in show with it at East of England model show in March 2010!)

The overall shape is very nice but the internals are a bit toy-like. There is a complete omission of the ignition system for example. Kit does have some very nice touches like braided hose for the oil system and the bonnet clips at the front are very nice working examples.

Main dissapointment for me was the tyres, they are too square in section and the spare tyre and wheel is omitted from the kit parts.

There are plenty of AM bits around for this kit available, I would certainly fork out for the resin tyre and wheel set if I did another one.

Overall, the kit is an enjoyable build, the parts fit together nicely and it makes a stunning model for the shelf with all the doors open, etc.

Plenty of reviews are on-line, have a read before you buy.

Cheers, Steve.

I too have built this one and I 'cheated' by doing it as the Gulf car, and printed my own decals.

I know it's technically the wrong car, but I love this scheme.

A great kit, 'almost' Tamiya standard.

I went potty and added a bucket load of extra wiring and plumbing all over the car.

My advice? - Get one.

Roy.

P1010053a.jpg

P1010052a.jpg

P1010051a.jpg

P1010050.jpg

P1010049-1.jpg

P1010048.jpg

• Like 2

A couple of beautiful builds here. Unfortunately, now I have found one, it is out of my price range. I am having to be a budget modeller at the moment, however, I do feel a little better knowing that it is the markII as the mark 1 is my favourite!! Even so, I would still love to build one!!

I don't know where you've found one, or at what price, but they pop up on Ebay fairly frequently at around £110 - £120 which is about the right price.

Much more than that is a bit steep - I've seen them (laughably) at £140+ 'buy it now' - don't go there unless you're desperate.

Roy.

I know it is little consolation now but they have been available fairly cheap, especially when they came out and the rivet counters started with the 'it's a toy' hullabaloo!

I think the current price reflects lack of availability. I wouldn't be surprised if Trumpy pop this again and the price becomes more palatable.

I paid under £90 for mine and that was from an on-line model shop.

Steve.

Unique kit of a car I like a lot (maybe too much, yes...)

Didnt still got any cause I like much more the Mk1 gulf flared that probably will never be done in this scale (different body and engines, and slightly different nose section too).

Who knows me (from other forums, mostly www.gt40s.com and AF) knows how me and only me can be SO sick for this car ..;)

• 1 year later...

Thanks, I've been having a search this evening.

Relish sell them but are out of stock - I've set up a stock alert with them.

And I've maybe found another, but at £140 plus p&p

I've paused to think about how much I really want that one!

I can only add it's a superb kit, with fit and detail on par with Tamiya.

Bags of room for extra details too.

Yes, there are a few issues with errors and omissions, but what kit is perfect?

My £500 Aventador is a case in point.

The early 'toy-like' criticisms were way out of proportion and I feel, unjustified.

Mind you, I built mine as a completely incorrect Gulf version - so maybe I'm not qualified to comment.....

My advice?

Great kit of a great car.

Buy one.

Roy.

Thank you Codger - I've an awful lot more patience making gradual adjustments to camber, caster and toe,

than I am with the construction of any aspect of any model!

:lol: :lol:

I've done both but am not sure which cost me my hair.... :banghead:

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...