Ride in Tiger 131

AngloSaxon

As part of fundraising for the new Vehicle Conservation Centre, Bovington Tank Museum are auctioning a ride in Tiger 131 on the next Tiger Day in March 2013.

Auction details here: Ebay Tiger Ride

The auction has already reached 4 figures! Would love to be able to put a bid in, just need to sell some body parts first :analintruder:

Mike.

Edited by AngloSaxon

as much as i like the tiger i think this is a complete waste of money!! its over £ 3,300 and reserve not met .the amount of money thrown at that tank is silly by the museum to the detriment of other vehicles in the collection .

I agree with you up to a point but then the Tiger has become more of a marketing tool, to attract paying customers to the museum which indirectly benefits the whole museum.

In fact in this instance regarding the ebay auction you are incorrect, according to the museum. The money raised from this will go towards their new building project, to get all the vehicles that are awaiting work under cover. See here

http://www.tankmuseum.org/vcc

I did point out that the auction was to raise funds for the VCC. It will therefore benefit all the museum vehicles which currently do not have a home and are not on public display.

I also agree it seems a lot of money but it is a unique experience.

Mike.

i understand that the money will go towards the new building.

However the amount of money SPENT to get this tank running is beyond a joke for a british museum when brit vehicles were waiting for renovation

ps I work at the museum as a volunteer modeller and i m airingmy personal thouhgts

• 1 month later...
However the  amount of money SPENT to get this tank running is  beyond a joke for a british museum when brit vehicles   were waiting for renovation

As this is the only running Tiger I in existence, all the money has been well spent. Both times I've been to the museum, the Tiger has been laguishing in a poor state. I would have spent more than the winner if I'd had the money.

My opinion only.

W

Unashamed Tiger nut.

• 2 years later...

Surely the Tiger is the focal point of the Museum's advertising. If you tell Job Public "we have loads of tanks in our museum", the likely response will be indifference. Tell them that you have a working Tiger (which most people would have some recognition of, if only on a very vague level) and you get people's attention.

This might seem a rather shallow perception to the true tank enthusiast, but - ultimately - the museum will be very keen to attract Mum-Dad-and-Two-Kids. They are the biggest market share, at the end of the day.

Chris.