Anson and Hurricane -Blender 3D models

NeilF92

I paint aircraft mainly - conventional paintings using acrylic on canvas .

Sources in the past have been photographs of real aircraft and /or plastic scale models . Geometric projection was another means of creating accurate perspective views of aircraft from plan drawings .

Over recent years I've delved a little way into the esoteric world of 3D modelling using Blender freeware software . I found it quite a big learning curve to come to terms with but have progressed from initially just making basic " virtual plastic" models till this latest venture where I persisted till a full colour render was possible.

The result is very far from perfect - my conversion of the mesh into flat surfaces ( unwrapping) was not good so there are numerous narrow strips and odd bits missed in the painting process . And the wings are not thick enough for a Hurricane.

However I now have a fair approximation of a Hurricane which can be spun in all axes and lit from any direction as well as having a choice of camera and focal lengths to pick for the render .

From now on Blender should prove a useful addition to my sources where plastic models or photo's don't suffice .

As long as you have reasonable 3 view drawings you can build your own aircraft on screen.

Well worth investing a bit of time to learn and great fun once you get into it . Very addictive as well - like painting you end up thinking " "Next time I'll do better" .

p.s. I'm well aware of the incredibly high standards being set in the professional world of virtual modelling - a trip to the Military Meshes site is enough to put hams like me off ever touching a keyboard again .

glasort3cr-1.jpg

Edited by NeilF92

Looks good to me Neil, as they say, 'you gotta start somewhere'. Computer generated art is something that could give me sleepless nights! I suppose it's just a case of practice.

Colin

• Like 1

Looks very smart Neil. I see you've captured the - not sure how to describe it - the change of angle of the wing's leading edge near the fuselage (if you can follow that). And that curve along the fuselage spine. Are you already planning some Hurricane paintings because that model's now surely ready to go :)

Larkie - thanks . Yes , as long as you have reasonable 3 view plans you can follow the shape very accurately . I'm disappointed I let the wing get thin in the vertical but can disregard that for the time being .
The Hurricane was meant to be an hour or so's knock together to help set up a harvest plus aeroplanes scene I have to paint . But I got hooked on seeing it through to the paintshop!
I'm sure there will be a Hurricane painting to follow later once i'm done with the farm scene.

MBdesign -
Yes , Blender models really help when you get involved with the rarer types like the Supermarine Scimitar . I built a very basic virtual plastic model of one and managed a reasonable action painting from it .
scimavtar.jpg

Edited by NeilF92

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Added a rough Anson mk1 to the stable for the current painting. Very far from right but good enough for distance work which is what I plan.

Looks excellent :winkgrin:. I remember trying Blender some time ago and was just overwhelmed by the interface. You obviously had a clear idea of where you wanted to be and managed to hack a path through to it. Any jets on the horizon, Neil? Now there's a challenge for the new year...

YOu must have the patience of a saint and the skills of a master artist to achieve those results with Blender. Having dabbled with it myself I know it's a very capable tool but doesn't make life easy for the user...

Edited by bhouse
  • Like 1

Thanks Larkie and bhouse,

I was fortunate to be on the Cat 2 forum a year or two back when Kevjon did a Blender tutorial build of a Nieuport Scout . You can still find his tutorial on there or in Military Meshes .

Blender is an amazingly capable platform in skilled hands - Myrs over on Military Meshes built a Gladiator part by part using Blender - outstanding !

Larkie , Once clear of current comittments I'll get back to Blender and finish the E. E. Lightnings I started a while back.

This is the Scimitar I made for the painting shown above. Crude but effective!

divefin.jpgThis is as far as I got with the Lightnings - aim is to have a Mk2, Mk3 and Mk 6 from the basic fuselage adding wings and belly tanks as appropriate. Still a long way to go to reach that dream!

liteup_zps3b282c78.jpg

Edited by NeilF92

@Neil

Ah, you were already there with the jets. OK then, an aircraft carrier :thumbsup:

I've seen some of the work on Military Mesh and it's very impressive but personally I prefer what you're doing - using 3D models as a means to an end for 'real' paintings. I can appreciate the skill that goes into digital work but it never seems to have the immediacy of the more traditional methods.

• Like 1

Hi Larkie .

I think Gareth Hector has taken his 3D work to the level of top conventional art . That is due to the fact that he is also a top flight conventional artist who switches between the two genres with consumate ease. A few others are close but I'd say he has set the bar.

A lot of the 3D art work has , as you say, an artificial feel even when the model is perfect. I discovered that setting the lighting for a 3D scene is far from easy and there are a multitude of factors to tweak before things look right in the render.

Aircraft carrier ? :yikes: Dream on sunshine - a bit beyond my capabilities :coolio: .

Happy New year !

Edited by NeilF92