1/48 MiG-29 WIP

Faceplate

Hey all,

Now that I'm building again, I figured I'd post one of the other builds I'm currently working on. It's Academy's 1/48 MiG 29. I picked up some goodies for it as well...

Aires cockpit set

Eduard engine nozzels

QuickBoost nose

QuickBoost intake covers

SAC metal landing gear

0012.jpg

I was going to get the Aires gear well set but I already spent more than I wanted on a.m. parts. So, here's what I've got so far..

I read another WIP on this kit on this site and the builder recommeded attaching the nose parts of the fuselage before attaching the top and bottom halves to make sanding easier. I also added styrene tabs to strengthen the joint and I rescribed the whole kit as well.

0073.jpg

0013.jpg

Added a few styene pieces to the barren gear bays...better than nuthin' but didn't want to spend a ton of time on 'em...

0032.jpg

Added BB's for extra weight in the nose

015.jpg

The Aries pit

008-1.jpg

007-1.jpg

045.jpg

046.jpg

048.jpg

Before and after cutting out access panels

0092.jpg

0072.jpg

Fuselage zipped up. The nose was a mess and took a bit of Milliput and a lot of sanding to smooth it all out

012-Copy.jpg

006-Copy.jpg

007-Copy.jpg

004-Copy.jpg

Nose cone on, vert stabs on, and a preliminary primer coat on. Staring to resemble a Mig......finally

0014.jpg

0062.jpg

0074.jpg

I'll stop here for now. Thanks for lookin'....questions, comments, snide remarks always welcome.

ATTENTION MODS....can you move this to the WIP forum....I wasn't paying attention when I started to post this...sorry.

Edited by Faceplate
  • Like 1

An exceptional build. Your workmanship stands out and is amoung the best I've seen. The cockpit detail is amazing and far better than any injected effort.

Talking of which, have you seen the GWH Mig 29 release on Hyperscale? Brett Green is ecstatic about it, claiming it to be the best he's ever seen and it would seem from the photographs that he could be right. But the proof of the pudding is in the eating, or in this case, the building.

Good luck with the rest of your build.

Trubbie

Thanks for the kind words guys, I appreciate it.

Trubbie..yeah, I just checked that kit out....yowza!! What a nice lookin' kit...might have to invest in that one as well as that new Jaguar from Kitty Hawk.

Looking very nice so far!

Some question if I may:

The nosecone looks a bit too big in diameter compared to the fuselage at its attachment point? Is it the photo?

Cockpit looks fabulous! Did it fit easily?

I am thinking of modifying the air intakes of my future one, they look a bit narrow to me, again, is it the perspective of the photo?

Keep on posting please, I am VERY interested!

exdrakne

Edited by exdraken

Looking very nice so far!

Some question if I may:

The nosecone looks a bit too big in diameter compared to the fuselage at its attachment point? Is it the photo?

Cockpit looks fabulous! Did it fit easily?

I am thinking of modifying the air intakes of my future one, they look a bit narrow to me, again, is it the perspective of the photo?

Keep on posting please, I am VERY interested!

exdrakne

Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it, and here are some answers for you...

The nose cone is a hair too wide. I was thinking of sanding the whole diameter down but I'm not sure that I'll be able to retain the roundness of the cone where it meets the fuselage. After final painting, maybe it won't be so noticable.

The cockpit did not go in easily at all. In fact, the first cockpit set I got looked all twisted looking at it head on. So I got in touch with Aires and sent them a pic of the cockpit tub so they could see it. I wasn't sure if I got a goofy tub or what. So what did Aires do? They sent me 3 more tubs! They all had the same twistiness to them. It took a lot of sanding, cutting, and finageling to get to sit right in the fuselage and to line up with the open access panels. I'm still not entirely happy with how it fit, but I had to just get on with it, otherwise I would've gone crazy trying to get it to fit just right.

The first tub I got...

001.jpg

The other 3 Aires sent me for comparison

100_1075.jpg

The intakes look too narrow to me too. That's one of the main reasons I'm using the Quickboost intake covers...in the hopes it will help mask the narrowness.

If I were to do another '29, I'd do the Monogram version. That one just looks better to me and was only half the pita that this copy was. Actually, I'd go with the new GWH offering....that kit looks something nice.

Hope I answered you questions adequetly. If not let me know. You know what, I can take some better shots of the nose and post them to see how it looks 'cuz the pic here does make it look bigger than it really is. There is a small ridge where the cone meets the fuselage that needs sanding.