Focke Wulf 190 A-8

Hi All,

This is my attempt at Major Karl Kennel's FW190 A-8 from May 1945. Italeri's kit was a mostly enjoyable build and many of the parts had some lovely detail and most of the fit was pretty good. Having said that, there was a fair bit of flash on many of the parts to clean off, the joints of wing to fuse and engine cowling to fuse created some hideous gaps and Italeri's funky sliding canopy mechanism was on the fiddly side. The kit does come with some nicely detailed PE - instrument panel, belts, headrests, antenna and a few other bits. My experience of some other Italeri kits has been that the decals are high quality and this kit was no exception - lovely thin decals that settle well on Klear with some setting solution. This is the first Luftwaffe aircraft I've built since I was a kid and in researching the colours found just what a minefield the whole RLM business is! Having been bitten by Italeri's dodgy paint instructions when building their 1/48 Hurricane I decided not to pay too much attention to them this time and used a combination of Tamiya, Revell and Vallejo Model Air to finish the model in RLM 76, with RLM 81 and 82 stripes and mottles. This is the first time I've attempted Luftwaffe mottling too and I was pretty pleased at the end result.

Anyway, here are the pictures and I hope you like it. All comments and critique always welcome.

8196585334_2527d0b052.jpg

8196585426_99c6ff86cd.jpg

8196585516_2cd9cbbb06.jpg

8195492435_3cd0fdbd8a.jpg

8195492565_0c98a18bba.jpg

8195492715_a8c542afcc.jpg

8195492835_b78a604e69.jpg

Cheers all,

Roger

Edited by rmcclure
  • Like 2

Thanks to everyone for the very kind comments. One thing I forgot to mention was that I used the precision masking tape from Creative Models - http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234928521&hl= - exclusively to carry out a comparison with Tamiya tape. Can't fault it and I'll be using it from now on. I also used it to create the swastika mask for the tail - no decal in the kit, of course - and it performed very well.

Cheers all,

Roger

Great looking Shrike, the camo is a real feature and you've done it well. I'm unfamiliar with the kit, what scale is it? Just found it... 1/48.

Edited by Parabat