Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

Hello friends,

now also the last fields on the Side 4 are newly re-glued, which looks now like new-born, 

dY01sv.jpg

compared to the side from the paper kit 

up057545.jpg

and only awaits their details. speak_cool.gif

And because we are dealing with cosmetic, I have attached the yellow markings on the LH2 Vent Line, seven in number, as can be seen on this image from the STS-8.

uy4fCU.jpg
Source: NASA

In order that the somewhat bulky little decals can easier cling around the pipe, I had to use Decal Soft again. cool.gif

5Wx5uP.jpg

And that's how it looks on the MLP. top.gif

fJqyp9.jpg

After the "renovation" of the side walls they look indeed a little bit bald, but now I could finally start with the detailing, first on the Side 2.  cool.gif

I am still in the dark, which especially concerns the detail structure of this side during the STS-6, which does not make scratch-building easy. rolleyes.gif

I started with the through-sleeves and connecting sockets of the three ports for the ECS purge lines

up057643.jpg
Source: NASA (Street View)

for which I have separated 1 mm wide rings from the wire end ferrules, which protrude forward on the wall. 

The small connector to the left beside the downspout belongs to a GN2 pipe, the front of which looks like a handwheel and also sits in a through-sleeve, what I then have tried to scratch laboriously.  smiley_worship.gif   

3rXKDs.jpg

The sleeve is a piece of a wire end ferrule (Ø 1 mm) and the wheel is from a section of a rod (Ø 1 mm), which I tried to slit all around with the cutter. shocked.gif

7sJIXe.jpg

JkByH2.jpg

On the right lay the round bars for the connecting sockets. 

o2FjmY.jpg

And so this part in the sleeve looks so far, an attempt was worth it at any rate.  huh.gif

WroIbI.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks Mark for your nice compliment, :worship:

yep, the scientific curiosity and the researcher's urge are still inside me denknf8.gif and always stimulate me anew, to get to the bottom of it.  JC_idea.gif

And besides, I do not want to paste the details only after feeling anywhere. up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

then I tried to paint the caps of the connecting sockets red, first times with two test rods.

PO2g22.jpg

Since the lengths of the caps with the brush by hand are not to manage with uniform lenght, I have masked the rod tops accordingly.

9QmDZE.jpg

And now it looks better, to the left is a second variant of the handrail, which has only a thin disc at the front, which corresponds more to the real part, which is more likely a blind flange, 

dd4sEV.jpg

as I have now found out. top.gif

k6yN01.jpg

Since I would like to paint the small through-sleeves by Airbrush, I have pinned the parts on my Balsa-Holding strip, which I had used for the lampshade lacquer.

wfs70V.jpg

And in this airbrush job, also a few profiles for the pipes on the side walls will be sprayed, which I have already prepared.

qy0j7V.jpg

These are, inter alia, the two lines with the double kink, 

up057651.jpg
Source: apollosaturn.com (John Duncan)

whose connection on this console with the two attachments was a mystery to me until now.  denknf8.gif

In the meantime, NASA has also digitized the photos contained in the so called MLP-Report and made them available online, from which I have already taken a lot of detailed information. And these reference photos (unfortunately only black and white) are predestined for detail studies because of their high resolution. top2.gif 

GAGjED.jpg
Source: Library of Congress

In addition to this image as JPEG (316 KB), on which one can not see enough details, there is also a huge TIFF format (38 MB), analintruder.gif on which one can clearly see that the two pipes are actually connected to these two attachments, which I had so far only suspected. And on this image one can also see that the front part on the GN2 Line is probably a blind flange.  hmmm.gif

o05GEW.jpg

This version of the connectors with the covers is only available on the MLP-3, on the MLP-2 they are missing , as one could already see on this earlier image. 

up057652.jpg

In any case, similar connector caps are located in front of the attachments, as can be seen from this perspective. 

qyoROH.jpg

That this connection console was still slightly different on the MLP-1, can be seen in this image. rolleyes.gif

up057643.jpg

The MLP-Report contains, among other things, also a drawing of the Side 2 from which this image section comes, from which I have determined the dimensions of the box (Fire Hose Reel). 

NL3t4D.jpg

And these are the prepared parts for the box of 0.3 mm Styrene with two support struts (0.5 mm x 1 mm), whereby I assume that these were more likely angle profiles, for which I could use an already painted brass profile (1 mm x 1 mm). 

or3VIu.jpg

So much for the theory, which I now only need to put into action.  up040577.gif

• Like 1

The GN2 line looks like it was cut, capped off, and rerouted, to make room for the consoles that you are building. I wounder if this was an after thought or planed that way.  Great research tho, and thanks again for the pipe bending technique.

Rich

Hello everybody,

today only a short flash from a first attempt to bend the two thin pipes. cool.gif

For this I have used copper wire Ø 0.6 mm and a copy of the Side 2 of the MLP-3 as bending template, which is why I  had to correct the double kink a little bit. huh.gif

gvaN2M.jpg

And these are the two pipes in the raw state, from which the left ends are now adapted to the attachments on the console and the right ends must be shortened and angled. 

0pITf4.jpg

Sorry, but the light conditions are unfortunately not the best.   rolleyes.gif

That was it already for the moment. up040577.gif

Hello friends,

and thus to the next pipe on this side, whereby I assume that it is a Firex line. The same line there is also on the Side 4, to which we will come later. cool.gif

This pipe is a bit thinner than the first two pipes, it starts somewhere in Bay 13 and then it takes the marked course to the front corner of Side 2,  

8vdyl0.jpg

Since on this image one can recognize the beginning of the line unfortunately just as little as on this image of the MLP-2, rolleyes.gif

7zkev4.jpg

I have consulted again the Street View panorama of the MLP-1. And here I have found a suitable perspective, on which one can recognize, cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif that the line comes out of the wall of the lower MLP-B Level to the right of the door and then runs first to the top and then to the right.

ZV6HEP.jpg

Compared to the first two pipes (Ø 0.6 mm), this line should have a diameter of 0.4 mm, for which I also used Cu wire. up045518.gif

And here the test line is temporarily layed down, but at the lower end it must be shortened and angled.

k6hYXb.jpg

At the other end of the line at the front corner to the Side 1, I was initially not quite clear about their real run during the STS-6, provided that it already existed at that time.  hmmm.gif

As can be seen in these images from John Duncan's collection (1998), the line runs around the corner to the Side 1,  

eIukTJ.jpg

and flows then in the thicker Firex main line, which is running under the Blast Shields to the other end of the side and then on Side 4, where it ends in Bay 13.  up045518.gif

DccDU1.jpg

And now comes the surprise,  analintruder.gif linked with a fat  question.gif 

On my standard reference image of the STS-6 one can see that there was no continuation of this Firex line behind the corner on the Side 1, maybe it was extended only later up to the main line, but it is only questionable when, respectively whether at all?  undecided.gif 

Obviously, there is something else, whereat the red arrow points, to what I'll come back later.  cool.gif

D8DtYo.jpg
Source: retrospaceimages.com (STS-6)

To the right side of the Side 1 it looks similar, where the red Firex main line ends in front of the corner and only some cables run around the corner.   huh.gif

zW8LAe.jpg
Source: retrospaceimages.com (STS-6)

And so I have arrived at a point where I have to rethink everything, because that would mean that I can save myself the thinner pipe apparently, because it still did not exist at that time presumably.  denknf8.gif

But about it I just have to sleep tonight ... schlaflos.gif

• Like 1

Hello everybody,

well, so is it with the details, which I wanted to start scratching, but which on closer inspection suddenly vanish into thin air ... yikes.gif Therefore it is absolutely necessary to take care to the mission they are based on and whether they are relevant to the own mission. rolleyes.gif But that I did not keep in mind at John Duncan's MLP-2 images of 1998, because I was so  thrilled about their details, a typical case of Not a bit of it! up040472.gif

Afterwards one is unfortunately always smarter, but aside from the STS-1, there are relatively few usable Hi-Res images from the first missions, especially from Side 2, where it unfortunately looks gloomy. smiley_worship.gif

That's why I took the trouble and have specifically investigated the first MLP-2 missions until the end of the 80s once again, finally to get information about these ominous Firex Lines.

And these were the following missions:

Challenger
1983: MLP-6, MLP-8
1984: STS-41B,
1985: STS-51B, STS-51F,
1986: STS-51L

Discovery:
1984: STS-41D, STS-51A,
1988: SSTS-26;

Atlantis:
1985: STS-51J, STS-61B.

And in doing so, I found out, that 1983 during the first  missions, there was no transition of the Firex line from the Side 2 to the Side 1, but first in 1984 at the Challenger mission STS-41B, as one can clearly see in this image, especially with zoom.  speak_cool.gif

q9Kegv.jpg

At the previous mission STS-8, this transition did not yet exist, as one can see on this image unfortunately not so sharp, but nevertheless. cool.gif

344Vka.jpg
Source: NASASpaceFlight.com Forum

What one can see as a shadow is the detail (?) on MLP-2, what I've already mentioned in the last post, which I will now still examine carefully. spiegel-smilies-0002.gif

And therefore back to the Side 2 of the MLP-2 (1998), on which one can see it also only schematically in the zoom. cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif

Dirl1H.jpg

These are actually four thin Fuel cell pipes (Ø 0.5'' = 12.7 mm) for the fuel cells of the orbiter, namely the two upper GO2 pipes and the two lower GH2 pipes. top2.gif 

More clearly, this bundle is seen on this image from the MLP-2 at the STS-132.

Yt4OvW.jpg

If one really wanted to scratch these four pipes, denknf8.gif one would need wires with a diameter of about 0.1 mm,  eek.gif which I procured some time ago. speak_cool.gif

BTW, here is such a wire (Ø 0.1 mm) in cosy togetherness with a hair (Ø 0.05 mm) of mine, 

Qgn13l.jpg

whose color however will not be betrayed.   up040577.gif

• Like 2

Again, we are the limit of visible with your magnificent endeavour.

Have you been tearing your hair out in frustration? I hope you have plenty left!

But seriously, the research is thorough and painstaking and your knowledge of what these details actually are is impressive.

Thanks Mark for your nice compliments, :worship:

yep, the curiosity and the researcher's urge are still inside me denknf8.gif and always stimulate me anew, to get to the bottom of the matter.  JC_idea.gif

And besides, I do not want to paste the details after feeling anywhere. up040577.gif

You know that Mischa might print the fuel cell pipes onto a sheet of clear foil to represent these.  I have run into this situation several times, where the pipes are to small to render separately. But I know how you are, so have fun with the even smaller stuff.

Hi Rich,

yes, I know Mischa's solution, maybe the only way to go, have you tried it?  undecided.gif

That's all well and good, but only a makeshift. At a certain light incident one can see that it is a foil, what would not please me, you really know me. :rolleyes:

So I'm still wondering if I should try it with the 0.1 mm wires. denknf8.gif

This would mean that one had to glue the four thin wires (0.1) parallel to each other on supports strips 1.5 mm x 0.35 mm and then to glue this fragile pipe bundle over the length of about 12 cm from the Bay 8 to the Bay 1 and also still around the corner to Side 1, so that the wires remain tensioned. eek.gif

Yt4OvW.jpg

But this structure would have to be painted before, which sounds utopian,erschrocken3.gifunless one is building an intelligent retaining jig. einfall.gif

Now I need some good advice. up040577.gif

I think the four tiny wires would be too much, and it's a step too far for normal viewing distance. But I also know the foil solution would not be pleasing, even in your mind's eye. I think it has to be all or nothing... 0.1mm wire or move on to a new challenge.

Edited by Mustermark

I'm really not sure Manfred.  It seems that 0.1 is not ridgid enough to hold it's own shape.  Building a bundle seems the only way to go, but i'm not so sure about how to apply this to your build, and you have to go around corners. If you can find a material that is stiff enough to hold it's shape you might have a chance.  I'm thinking tho that if you give this a try you should use a jig of some sort.  Good Luck!!

Thanks Mark and Rich for your advices, :worthy:

this is certainly a rather demanding and complicated undertaking, which would in any case require a suitable holding jig to be able to paint this wire bundle by airbrush in a first step. top.gif

Meanwhile I have fiddled around with a solution and have also an idea already. JC_idea.gif

One would have to reproduce the girder structure of the Side 2 from Bay 8 to Bay 1, which can be seen in this image,

WFMaLV.jpg

as a kind of template made of Balsa with the tiny supports strips on girder dummies, and glue the wires on it, whereby the front ends as well as the rear ends should have to be angled already and fixed somehow.  :analintruder:

The other pipe supports, sitting on feet on the side wall, would have to be painted and glued separately, and then one could glue the painted thin bundle with the support strips onto the girders and the other wall supports, and also lay around the corner. denknf8.gif

This sounds surely a bit adventurous and perhaps it's hard to understand too, but maybe it's possible. top.gif

The difficulty results from the minimal distances of the four thin wires from only 0.2 mm on the 1.5 mm short support strips. smiley_worship.gif

And now to you, Kirk. up040577.gif

This filigree arrangement of the wires I have tried to apply. First I used spring steel wire 0.1 mm, which is unsuitable because the wires are magnetically attracted by the tweezers. :rolleyes: But with nickel silver wire 0.1 mm it was possible and looks like this.

Ri980U.jpg

This is my momentary idea, but maybe it is also too crazy erschrocken3.gif and can not be realized, wherefore I'm still a little bit sceptical,  hmmm.gif although my feeling tells me that it could work ...  up040577.gif

• Like 2

Hello everybody,

while the holding device assumes more and more shape in my mind's eye, I also have to understand the course of the Fuel Cell Pipes, especially their starting points on the Side 2 in the Bay 7 (GH2) and Bay 8 (GO2), as well as their further course to the MLP corner and then on the Side 1.  cool.gif

For this purpose here are a few pictures for illustrating the wiring course, for the sake of simplicity, just behind the corner on the Side 1, whereby the two upper lines are the GO2 Pipes, and the two lower ones the GH2 Pipes

r8Dlqp.jpg

While the two GO2 Pipes are running below the Blast Shields to the LOX Tunnel, the two GH2 Pipes run downward in front of the Blast Shield and then below the AccessPlatform up to the LOX Pneumatic Interface Plate in the Bay 6

And so it should fully suffice if I let end up the pipes at the circled places, especially since one can not see their further course on the model. top.gif

But regarding the starting points of the Pipes on Side 2 in Bay 7 and Bay 8, it's still not quite clear in detail, because one can not recognize it exactly enough, which is why I initially thought that the pipes would come out of the MLP wall. denknf8.gif

fdVGHg.jpg

And even this image, which reveals more details already, cannot give a more exact explanation.  

u2ThSt.jpg

It is only clear that the two GH2 Pipes in the Bay 7 running down close to each other, while the two GO2 pipes in the Bay 8 run with a significantly larger distance. top2.gif

But then suddenly I remembered, JC_idea.gif that there is a NASA panorama with a great view of the Side 2 of the MLP-2 from Level 75 on the FSS, on which these two bays might be visible more detailed.

And lo and behold, quite right, and therefore here the ultimate shot with the linked panorama,

FVYPdq.jpg

wherewith (now) almost all the uncertainties for scratching should be eliminated.  speak_cool.gif

As can be seen, the pipes start on an angle profile and then take a multiple angled course upwards, and follow after merging in the Bay 7 as a quadruple bundle to the right up to the beginning of the side.

As coming from NASA's plans, the circled jacks are Moisture Sensors, and one can even see how the pipes are bolted to the angle profile.

VrGKga.jpg

And with that the matter looks already much more friendly. up040577.gif

Yeah ... omgsign.gif

The only difference is, that according to the thicker pipes of the SSWS these are now damn thin and are running extremely close side by side. eek.gif

But all or nothing, there is no way out ... s-boese-wand02.gif

• Like 2