Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

Hello everyone,

as already announced, the short Gutter 3 at the end of Side 2 came next with only two supports as one can see in this image.

gOh90n.jpg
Source: Library of Congress

Since I had already shaped the gutter some time ago,

lMoNEF.jpg

now only the gutter soils with CA had to be glued in, which again happened on Teflon foil, cool.gif

mZt3kN.jpg

5eQ4vz.jpg

pczhh4.jpg

and relatively quickly was done.

oZcQPo.jpg

Afterwards, the support (with flange) was clamped in the known and proven manner between the steel rulers,  

Kqazdq.jpg

and above it the gutter was glued as usual. top.gif

auuVr7.jpg

W98xqk.jpg

The assembly was then turned upside down and the rear support (without flange) glued.

wociFN.jpg

9TE3vp.jpg

And so the Gutter 3 was already finished, speak_cool.gif

Z8dMap.jpg

and fits well to the Gutter 2.

WiWAaT.jpg

Now still missing the front Gutter 1, which is running from the Bay 9 up to the Bay 1 at the beginning of Side 2. up040577.gif

• Like 1

Very nice gutter work Manfred.  I think these will add some nice subtle details to the sides of the MLP.  Can't wait to see these mounted.

• Like 1

Hello everyone,

although these tricky gutters also do not necessarily lead me to cheers, it does not use anything, and therefore the work must go on.andiearbeit.gif

And now to the Gutter 1, which is supported by eight supports with a flange and by one support without flange at the beginning of the Side 2. cool.gif

Xorbeu.jpg
Source: apollosaturn.com (John Duncan)

In contrast to the side end (Bay 18) the gutter, flattened outwards above the Bay 1, is connected to the other gutter part directly at the outlet of the downspout in front of the front girder, which is why there is no support there. Therefore, both gutter parts must be glued directly dull one to another at this point, which should not become quite easy as the edges will probably provide little sufficient area due to the very thin aluminum plate (0.1 mm). denknf8.gif

Here one can see both gutter parts lying on a narrow core strip, so far so good.

qK00GN.jpg

WrInxE.jpg

At first, the bottom of the gutter was glued at the back end.

gkNDqt.jpg

Subsequently, the glueing of the supports took place according to the tried and tested clamping technique,  

f16C2M.jpg

almost as before. top.gif

8Pr6BR.jpg

Since the distances between the girders in the front part of the side is slightly less than in the rear part, the steel ruler did not fit between them in the following Bays, which is why I had to redispose. But with narrow cutter knives as a stop, the problem was solved quickly,speak_cool.gif

OvO4W7.jpg

it went on fast, and up to the 7th support everything looked well.  up045518.gif

JAAEnz.jpg

JxyYO6.jpg

But during constant handling with this unwieldy structure I must have somehow nudged to the third support, whereby its lower flange was suddenly kinked off. smiley_worship.gif

After the support had been repaired, he could be glued again and closed the gap. 

gVnqm2.jpg

Finally, the last support between the Bay 2/3 followed,

1li9kR.jpg

whereby this gutter part was completely supported.

8ZmDTH.jpg

QI84YQ.jpg

td0EQ1.jpg

But now the more difficult part of the exercise was next to do, namely, the dull gluing of both gutter parts, which has given me some headache.  undecided.gif

For this I firstly came up with this stable magnet fixing of the gutter over a somewhat wider core strip, which was unfortunately thought too short. denknf8.gif 

In this arrangement, the top edge of the front gutter part would run outwardly obliquely, what should not be, i5684_no2.gif but rather it must be exactly the other way round. In contrast, the upper edge of the gutter is a continuous line, while the lower edge slightly rises towards the outside. top.gif

7DPBur.jpg

Therefore I have glued the external support without flange, which I first  wanted to lay down from above (here only temporary done), rolleyes.gif

73bkQa.jpg

what I but then differently have done, because one this tiny part can hardly hold still in the tweezers, let alone put exactly straight to the point. smiley_crazy.gif

That is why I stapled the support on a conversely glued tape strip and then carefully lowered the gutter end, dabbed with tiny CA,

1oZEtp.jpg

which also worked well.

HGQvfW.jpg

And now again to the dull gluing of the two gutter parts flat above two half-round profiles (1.5 mm) for better guidance.

lV33Oj.jpg

uGhqLz.jpg

In order to achieve a possible flush connection of the two roundings, I then have glued a small supporting profile (0.5x1.5 mm rectangular profile + half-round profile),

BA5ACk.jpg

and inserted it into the longer gutter part together with a Teflon strip as CA protection. huh.gif

Atnpyl.jpg

Afterwards, I dabbed the gutter end on the rounding with CA and layed the part over the support profile and lightly pressed, in the hope that both parts would somehow glue together.

Unfortunately, this hope has not been fulfilled, because after removing the supporting profile from the gutter suddenly two parts were laying in front of me again.up043952.gif

REjZku.jpg

So I was rather frustrated and I have to think about a different solution, which is why good ideas are required.  einfall.gif

So please feel free, but rather come up with it. up040577.gif

• Like 1

Hard to see in the photo, but the gutter looks like it should have been rendered in one piece not two.  However, you could try some sort of epoxy, or maybe solder it together.  Funny thing about CA glue, it dose not stick to it's self.  Good luck, you will think of something!

Thanks Rich for trying to help me, bow.gif

but making of the whole gutter in one piece is hardly possible, because the short outer part of the gutter is a bit lower towards the outside than the rest.  undecided.gif

One possibility would be to glue both airbrushed gutters end to end at the MLP deck and then to overpaint the connecting edge once more with the brush by hand. denknf8.gif

Maybe I could also use the special glue for photo etch parts, Gator's Grip-Thin Blend for gluing instead of CA, whose application is easier.  

s0B9HJ.jpg

About using of a foil or tape I have also already thought, perhaps simple masking tape (0.05 mm) on  the rear half of the gutter could be suitable as a little support, which one can not see from the front. up040577.gif

• Like 2

Hello everybody,

okay, admitted, this delicate matter is really not very easy, because the gluing surfaces (cannot to be said actually) or better the gluing edges (0.1 mm) are much too narrow. smiley_worship.gif

To the actually obvious idea, einfall.gif of using the special glue for photo-etched parts (PE) Gator's Grip-Thin Blend instead of CA I could have come already earlier, especially since its application is simpler and even more advantageous. But sometimes one cannot see the forest for the trees ... up040472.gif 

I had previously only planned its application for the gluing of the various PE parts at the FSS/RSS and therefore it falled a bit into oblivion. rolleyes.gif

s0B9HJ.jpg

A significant advantage of this glue is that it is water-soluble and does not cure as quickly as Seku. This allows one to correct the seat of the parts for a while. During this time, the initially milky white color changes into transparent, indicating that the adhesive is dry and cured. top2.gif

A further advantage is the amazing elasticity of the glue in the cured state. While a contact that is glued with Seku can break away quickly, as with one gutter support, the Gator's Grip contact itself can withstand a bending by 90° and then re-erect itself,  analintruder.gif also known as Memory effect, what I initially did not wanted to believe. 

And this variant I have tried today. cool.gif

Here one can see the  put together gutter dummies, which I have just before lightly painted inside and outside with the Gator's Grip, as well as a similarly attached support.

8Mkn7S.jpg

After a drying time of about 10 minutes it looked like this. The gutters were actually tightly connected and held out a slight bend without breaking apart.  huh.gif

vuy9at.jpg

In addition, I also have glued an old PE ladder as well as a piece of handrail upright onto a plastic pad and let dry.

JJVyrN.jpg

And then followed the brutal nail test for the ladder by loading of a tweezer, what overwhelmed it. erschrocken2.gif

quccfg.jpg

And whether one believes it or not, after taking the tweezers away, the miraculous resurrection of the ladder began, here after half of the recovery from this strain, smiley_crazy.gif

xEx1dl.jpg

and then almost to the starting point. 

And the handrail finally had to bend itsef under my cent coin,  rolleyes.gif

ASuy2f.jpg

but had surprisingly the same abilities and stood up again little by little, although these are only point contacts!!!  

UaAU7l.jpg 

Finally here once again the state of the probands after this stress test, which impressively proves their total recovery. 
What more do you want?  speak_cool.gif

aUBD0v.jpg

As a conclusion, I can say rightly that the test reports have not promised too much, and that Gator's Grip is really a hellish stuff that convinced me and will be helpful to me when gluing the next gutters on the Side 4, as certainly also in the gluing of the gutters at the MLP deck. up040577.gif

Hi Rich and Mark,

this is certainly no mistake, i5684_no2.gif this stuff is really fantastic! top2.gif

arrow.gif Small customer service for the curious and interested, here you go to the witch master  Kenny Loup aus Sulphur (Louisiana), at whom I ordered my glue a few years ago. up040577.gif

renee_and_i-399x534.jpg
Source: gatorsmask.com

Hi Michael, now I can help you. top.gif

Hello everybody,

since I can order Gator's Grip also in Germany, I have tested both varieties in comparison, because I was interested in the difference. cool.gif

aCoGWW.jpg

While the Original Blend is rather pasty and resembles conventional wood glue, the Thin Blend is not fluid, but noticeably thinner.

iMM6ED.jpg

And since the Gator does not bite immediately like CA, I had to hold the two plastic rods first. rolleyes.gif 

As can be seen after a dry time of 5 minutes the Thin Blend actually dries faster, and the milky white color already begins to become transparent. 

hKhhSi.jpg

After 10 minutes, both samples are standing already by itself.

c0RZHK.jpg

After 15 minutes, the Thin Blend should be almost cured.

oTEboL.jpg

After 20 minutes:

4p6zDq.jpg

After 25 minutes:

pFV6rX.jpg

After 60 minutes the original glue was still not quite transparent.  huh.gif

Ui6HE4.jpg

Then came the nail test, 

2gOakx.jpg

which both samples have survived.  up045518.gif However, the force for upstanding reached only to half, for whatever reason. 

91RV3L.jpg

However, the connection is still so stable that the samples can be moved and erected arbitrarily without having to break. up045518.gif

bdODof.jpg

This allows everybody to decide for himself which blend is more advantageous and to order accordingly. I will probably stay with the Thin Blend because of the faster curing.up040577.gif

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everybody,

and today finally to the gutters on the Side 4, which basically have the same structure as the gutters on Side 2. The only difference is that there is no console in the Bay 17 as on the Side 2, and therefore there is also no recess as shown on this image on the MLP-2 during STS-8.  cool.gif

KRU9cy.jpg
Source: NASA

As a result, there are only two gutters on Side 4, which can be seen in this image a bit better. For dimensioning it is only important to determine the distances in the recess in the Bay 10

8cjRBt.jpg

in which the box for the Fire Hose Reel was installed earlier. The two gutter ends at the beginning and at the end of the side have the same outward lowering structure, as can be seen in this image,

l1mCGH.jpg

which again have to be glued with blunt ends, but this time immediately with Gator's Grip.

For the cutting of the aluminium sheet metal strips (0.1 mm) was used a small montage sketch as usual.   top.gif

P4UGig.jpg

Then, again, the rounding of the gutters followed in the usual way, here first the short initial piece of Gutter 1 in Bay 1, which was relatively simple,

ax3DfB.jpg 

and then the long piece, which was already somewhat more tricky. rolleyes.gif

TqYx81.jpg

4KsAPN.jpg

As far as for today. up040577.gif

• Like 1

Nice work once again!

Please give a reference for your metal rounding tool.  This look very useful. 

Hello everyone,

first of all, still a small supplement to the strength or resilience of the gluing with Gator's Grip. cool.gif 

It was even possible to smooth the glue contact with a sanding stick, and the 0.1 mm contact seam was resistent and is not broken apart, which would have happened by using CA.  eek.gif

wH09j3.jpg

Hard to believe, but true! The stuff is really worth the money.  speak_cool.gif

And now to the still remaining Gutter 2 on the Side 4. top.gif

While the rounding of the long gutter strip with the help of the half-pipe and core wires up to Ø 4 mm is relatively easy, it is known to become more tricky below this level. rolleyes.gif

This is why I have clamped the brass core wire (Ø 2 mm) this time over the rounded gutter strip on the table and pressed the edges from both sides by sliding along with a rounded magnet, because unsightly kinks can be prevented  this way.  

FgO4Ut.jpg

RvrjdO.jpg

J3DkAQ.jpg

This is followed by the last rounding step with the core wire Ø 1.5 mm. 

Lqlbnf.jpg

Any slight longitudinal distortions of the gutter can be compensated on the narrow rounded plastic core strip, 

N8rMfB.jpg

so that Gutter 2 is finally finished too.  up045518.gif

2jHPIh.jpg

JJ1XOT.jpg

As the crowning end of the gutter chapter, next the gluing of the Gutter Supports follows, but this time also with the Gator's Grip. up040577.gif

GtOueR.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Mark, the time will come ... :worthy:

Hello everybody,

before the 14 supports (with lower strip) could be glued to the two gutters, they had to be scratch-built, of course, with full concentration, a calm hand and good eyes. cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif 

Sa4WNX.jpg

And already the gluing of the sickles on the tiny strips was again the expected tricky matter as with the gutters on the Side 2. smiley_worship.gif 

Since these are again the same procedures and handgrips, I will only briefly illustrate them by picture.

up058960.jpg

up058962.jpg

up058964.jpg

With a few supports as a reserve, the gluing of the supports onto the gutter continued.cool.gif

yg9U5t.jpg

After the bottom of the gutter was glued into the short piece, the outer support without strip was glued.

jupQ7p.jpg

IrT7ZM.jpg

This time I did not glue the supports on the long gutter individually, but at the same time three at one go clamped between cutter edges. 

TqVYRR.jpg

Afterwards, the contact points on the gutter were dabbed with CA and then the core strip with the gutter were lowered to the supports and thus glued. 

A4PDJM.jpg

cBWUvb.jpg

Subsequently the remaining five supports were glued.

LOB9m1.jpg

Since the last support had not glued completely,  rolleyes.gif it was glued once more.

qPleet.jpg

YeZxKn.jpg

Next, the short initial gutter is glued to the long Gutter 1, this time with Gator's Grip

Later, the Gutter 2 will follow. up040577.gif

• Like 1

Thanks Nigel for looking in on me, :worthy:

this tiny stuff is nothing spectacular, but must also be finished off ... :analintruder:

BTW, every now and then a support has fallen down on the floor, but they are so small that one can not see them sitting down, and so I have to go to my knees to find them again, or also not ... cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 1