Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

My answer was semi serious.

You have to decide which you can do best, build or paint.

If you paint first, are you confident you can assemble the parts with no adhesive spill or paint damage?

You are probably going to end up paint-build-paint, first coat to reach the hard to paint parts, second coat after assembly to even things up and finish. Your work is so precise that even a thin coating of paint could alter the fit.

I find  little deft weathering can cover a multitude of minor blemishes.

I also suspect that like all of us (and especialy with your eye for detail) the modeller in you always sees the mistakes that the outside viewer doesen't.

• Like 1

Thanks John for your helpful comment, :worthy:

exactly that's the problem. top.gif

The difficulty is the gluing of the supports with their thin sickle holders on the pipe line. This I can presumably only do with MEK and then the color could certainly disturb. That's why I will probably first glue the supports and then spray the whole skeleton.  hmmm.gif

Good call Manfred.  Paint all as a unit.  Are you going to install the piping before installing the water bags?  You might have a problem working on the water bags with all the pipes in the way.  Just a thought.

17 hours ago, RichO said:

Good call Manfred.  Paint all as a unit.  Are you going to install the piping before installing the water bags?  You might have a problem working on the water bags with all the pipes in the way.  Just a thought.

Thanks Rich, :worthy:

the Water bags should be removable, so I'm going to build them as separate parts for the Primary SRB hole and for the Secondary SRB hole.

The adjustment of the bag parts I have to make with built-in ring line  because of the distances between the outlets, what should be doable already, if I am careful.  up040577.gif

13 hours ago, Mustermark said:

I agree. Build then paint. The airbrush will fill the gaps as you rotate the structure...

Thanks Mark, :worthy: I could agree with you.  top.gif

Here is a macro of the place conditions between the ring line and the pipe supports, whereby the distances between the sickle holders are about 1.5 mm, between which the clamping rings (0.5 mm) sit,

Hz8BZK.jpg

whereby one should not be deceived himself by the real proportions. up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

in the meantime I had thought over, that it would certainly be difficult to remove the paint on these fragile sickle holders, especially since the contact points should be clean for a good adhesive bond. cool.gif And that would mean that the fragile sickle holders would have to be sanded gently, which would presumably not happen without any breakages. smiley_worship.gif

But I've already considered whether I should not paint the spaces between the sickle holders with a fine brush by hand ... denknf8.gif  

I have not painted anything with Airbrush for a long time, which is why I'm simply unsure whether such horizontal surfaces below the ring line would get enough paint. Furthermore the paint application has to be well dosed, which is why several thin layers are advisable and too much paint at one go should be avoided. top.gif

Because I would bite myself somewhere else if I would spoil my painstakingly scratched details by an unclean varnishing ...  analintruder.gif

Hello everybody,

and because we have dealt with breakages, of which I had to complain already some at the ring line outlets, without damage the last action with the clamping rings unfortunately had not ended. smiley_worship.gif 

On closer inspection, I have noticed unfortunately that the small nipples on the outer two 6'' outlets behind the TSMs after the felt 100.000 twists and turns when clamping the ring lines must have been broken, up043952.gif which I had not noticed so far. 

That is why, for a change, cosmetic operations were announced today, because something like that bothers me, even though it would hardly be noticed by somebody else's. rolleyes.gif

These OPs are, however, rather delicate, since the outlets are only thin round bars (Ø 1 mm), into which still thinner rods (0.3 mm) have been glued as nipples. That is why I have first carefully sanded off the remaining stumps and then still more cautiously drilled small holes with Ø 0,3 mm, but for which I first had to think on a clever clamping condition of the ring line for a stable support. up039822.gif

Seek and you shall find, and here the nipple rod is already glued again with a little overhang, which now only needs to be shortened accordingly, what but also does not so easily go out of cupped hands. i5684_no2.gif

up054856.jpg

For the cutting off the supernatant then a different support had to be found and to be newly clamped again,

up054857.jpg

so that the rod also has a stable support and can not break off. cool.gif

up054858.jpg

But that worked out well, 

up054859.jpg

as one can see here.

up054860.jpg

And the same OP then synonymous still at the other ring line, as before. up045518.gif

up054861.jpg

up054862.jpg

up054863.jpg

And so the damages have been remedied again. up040577.gif

• Like 2

Very small parts to break, small parts to fix.  Sometimes it's hard to know when to stop.  

Hello everybody,

in the last few days I have finally brought myself to start with the gluing of the Pipe Supports under the ring line behind the LOX-TSM, for which the already announced removal of the rear SRB Supports was necessary. rolleyes.gif

Since I can carry out the gluing of the supports only step by step, in order to be able to check their seat, I have to remove the ring line now and then, and because I did not want to risk anything, I have removed the disruptive rear SRB Supports. cool.gif

For gluing of the pipe supports, the ring line was then introduced again and its exact seat fixed with the spacers. After that, I tried as a first variant the gluing with MEK and have initially positioned and aligned only three supports under the ring line, as well as dabbed the contact points of the sickle holders on the outer side carefully with a fine brush with MEK, which should be sufficient for a first hold. denknf8.gif

dYFzCq.jpg

And as one can see in this picture, that was actually already sufficient.  speak_cool.gif

Tl4JDv.jpg

Since in the bracket-holder I can reach now the remaining contact places of the sickle holders from all sides, I can now also glue them completely.    up045518.gif

And so it can then gradually go on with the next supports.  up040577.gif

• Like 2

Hi all together,

for the gluing of the next Pipe Supports I used again my approved bracket-holder in the mini vise, which is best suited for this. up045518.gif

With this I have much more freedom of movement for the assembly and can adjust the position of the ring line so that the already attached three Supports lay flat on the support block and I can push the next supports below the line by slightly raising and arbitrarily align.  cool.gif

Then I also modified the gluing technique, whereby I carefully dab the normal Revell plastic glue onto the sickle holders with a acupuncture needle, then push the support under the raised ring line and then lower it. This allows for even smaller position corrections until the support sits in the right place. After that, the ring line is still weighted down, so that it can be fixed firmly on the spot. 

Then I can then take the mini vice with clamped ring line in the hand and stabilize the sickle holders also still from inside and outside with MEK, which should give them the final hold. top.gif

And this technique I have here exercised with the two Supports behind the corner bow, which also worked great. a040.gif

OGsVL1.jpg

KJ9UEO.jpg

And in the same way it went on down the straight line. 

5ZoozH.jpg

OTOIgB.jpg

xgEelR.jpg

4zVJU5.jpg

And now they hang in rank and file and look  speak_cool.gif

pEA4xf.jpg

Then came the three flatter supports sitting on the Blast Shield, which I have glued with inserted ring line.

vKpy4B.jpg

Qg2GDd.jpg

And finally, I have glued the small support under the 16'' rejuvenation behind the LOX-TSM, which has only one sickle holder.  

rUHF9f.jpg

So I want to let it go for today.  up040577.gif

• Like 5

this still continues to amaze me - so life like.

I'm sure you have answered this before, but I can't remember the answer if so, but what method do you use to bend and shape the pipes like that?

Ive tried using a candle before and all that does is deform it. Hot water never seems to be hot enough.

One of the best ideas of all time Manfred!  I will be using this technique on my Diorama build.  The pipe line looks very good.

Thanks Rich for your compliments and overwhelming words of praise. lob3.gif

I am also fully satisfied, but I have tinkered long enough at this solution ... hmmm.gif

but otherwise one can get no reproducible results. up040577.gif

17 minutes ago, BrotherMole said:

I've been slowly catching up on your posts and I'm in awe - this is next level stuff. Well done sir.

Thanks my friend for your interest, :worthy:

I'm glad if you like what I'm doing here. up040577.gif

• Like 1

Hello everybody,

today I want only present a few pictures about the gluing of the six Pipe Supports on the inside of the ring line behind the LOX-TSM, which took place in the same way.  cool.gif

67Tyw4.jpg

sGbqpQ.jpg

RG4TFA.jpg

zWVcNw.jpg

And tomorrow it will go on with the gluing of the first six triangular supports (left) at the outlets of this ring line,

up054256.jpg

which hopefully will work similarly well.  up040577.gif

• Like 2