Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6

Hello everybody,

after a welcome pause and deflection by various winter sport world championships last week, I will now return to the base and have been busy in the meantime again with the Water Bags, which also belong to the SSWS. cool.gif

up028417.jpg
Source: flickr.com (Jen Scheer)

I have already reported on the task of this sub-system a long time ago, where you can read once more again.

Whether these water bags were already red and yellow, or uniformly red in the early missions such as STS-6, I have unfortunately not yet been able to find out. undecided.gif On this older picture here, it looks as if they were uniformly red at the time. Perhaps someone of you knows the answer.  cool.gif

SSWS%2009.jpg
Source: capcomespace.net

To warm up, I have looked around again and followed up some details, which I noticed during the analysis of the clamping rings again and again. top.gif

These are, on the one hand, these rings on the anterior four outlets of the two ring lines, which one can zoom within the panorama pic. 

LC6BWC.jpg
Source: NASA

And then there are also several fastening hooks for the yellow water bags suspended around the SRBs,

up028418.jpg,
Source: http://www.youtube.com

which can be seen on these pictures,

yoDWFg.jpg
Source: flickr.com (Jen Scheer)

and are marked here.

fDEYua.jpg

At first I have tried the rings and searched for a suitable insulating sleeve to cut off thin discs, just as I had made the transport rings on the covers of the Rainbirds between the H-beams. 

While I was able to use a Ø 0,7 mm sleeve at that time, these rings had to be even smaller with Ø 0.4 mm, so I wanted to try it with my smallest insulating sleeve (Ø 0,5 mm), what certainly would be still a little too big.  rolleyes.gif

UdcUd0.jpg

And then I remembered PE Bolts and Nuts by ABER of different size, which I had bought earlier, which should be suitable, if a suitable diameter were thereby. einfall.gif

kBSNCU.jpg
Source: ABER

These are bolts and nuts in increments of 1.5 mm - 1.25 mm - 1.0 mm - 0.8 mm - 0.6 mm up to 0.4 mm, up045518.gif, which however are so tiny that one can hardly see them in the last two rows.  analintruder.gif And from these nuts I then have drilled out the first two (right) with my smallest drill with Ø 0.25 mm, 

B0LLHD.jpg

and then cut out, which should become even better. 

fuMPGm.jpg

And then I tried again with a smaller cutter.  speak_cool.gif

cZVNLD.jpg

But how to fix this tiny ring onto the 18'' outlet, which is sitting on an insect needle (Ø 0.25 mm), which can not be held in place with the most pointed tweezers. denknf8.gif

iS4Dsu.jpg

That took a bit longer and was pure stress, which is why I almost wanted to give up. shocked.gif

For this I have dabbed a tiny CA droplet to the bending and then tried to place the ring, which was sitting on the tip of the needle, so carefully, and at the same time pull out the needle, so that both do not glue together.  erschrocken3.gif 

After several failed attempts, it actually worked well, and the result looks pretty good as I find. top2.gif 

1mn8rj.jpg

But whether I should really do this effort, I do not know yet, hmmm.gif if so, then I would have to come up with a better gluing handling.  up040577.gif

• Like 4

More microscopic details!  As long as the stringers for the water bags will fit through them, they should work fine.  Nice job with the Aber nuts.

8 hours ago, roma847 said:

Hey Mark,

'realistic water', are you pulling my leg ...  up040577.gif

Given the attention to detail, I expect that you'll be using real water :D

Keep up the fine work! (Which kit are you thinking of using for the shuttle, when the time comes?)

Kind regards,

Sam

Hello everybody,

in the meantime, I have a tough time of it with the rings, because I do not give up so quickly. up054540.gif 

Here are some more or less well done rings together with the needle (Ø 0.25 mm), which I can safely forget in order to hold the rings when gluing. 

up054815.jpg

On the macros, these midgets still look quite grippy, therefore here for the relativization a shot from normal sitting position. And therefore the handling is only possible with the headset-magnifying glass, of course. spiegel-smilies-0002.gif

up054816.jpg

And also the solution with the Pattafix tip on the toothpick is not the yellow of the egg, because sometimes tiny remnants of Pattafix stick to the ring, which can be removed only badly, without the ring thereby perhaps tear off again. smiley_worship.gif

Therefore using a toothpick with a tip made of a masking tape is much more suitable for this purpose, JC_idea.gif with which the ring can be gently taken up, in order to be able to deposit it over the CA droplet on the outlet arc, where it should then glue.  

up054817.jpg

And this technique has then worked well with the following ring, as one can see here.

up054818.jpg

And so it went on with the two rings at the outlets on the inside of the ring line (right circles) behind the LOX-TSM,

up054787.jpg

which can be seen here. 

up054819.jpg

And strengthened by this partial success, I now also want to equip the outlets on the ring line behind the LH2-TSM with these rings. up045518.gif

Well, and then I've experimented with the hooks for the lateral Water Bags. cool.gif

up054788.jpg

To do this, I have initially put simple plugs of lead wire (Ø 0,3 mm) in pre-drilled holes on a dummy.

up054820.jpg

And these are two hooks, to the left of my thinnest rods (Ø 0,3 mm) and right of brass wire (Ø 0,3 mm),

up054821.jpg

up054822.jpg

which are still too high with 1 mm and have to shrink to half. 

Since I'm not enthusiastic about the result, I have to outbrake myself now and will cancel these hook tests.  denknf8.gif In addition, the fragile outlets could break off during pre-drilling, what I would not risk at all.  i5684_no2.gif

With these details, I am moving in the border area of what is doable with reasonable effort, because they are so tiny that one can hardly recognize them, which is why the effort is not worthwhile. up040577.gif

• Like 2

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 11:26 PM, Mustermark said:

I'm interested to see where you go with the water bags... will you use 'realistic water' or something like we do on N gauge train layouts?

He will get Hydrogen and Oxygen and scratchbuild it.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Mustermark said:

it's interesting to see your threshold has been reached. I agree that this is a fair limit to stop when the effort outweighs the imperseptible detail, especially with the risk to damaging the great work on the pipes.

Thanks Mark for your understanding. :worthy:

There are two options, One learns by experience and/or Adversity is the school of wisdom. top.gif

And since I've already broken off an outlet two times, :analintruder: I have to say, that is more than enough and therefore, slow down and keep speak_cool.gif is the better option. 

BTW, there are a lot of other details that are more important than this crazy stuff. up040577.gif

Hello friends of the rings,

although this fiddling is getting slowly but surely on my nerves too, eek.gif I must still pull through the four rings at the outlets of the other ring line, earlier I give no rest. i5684_no2.gif

RsN2qb.jpg

But that was once again a hard patience test, especially since the handling while gluing these tiny rings even with my cool tape tweezers was really stressful, because it didn't release the rings occasionally at the crucial moment. up043952.gif

But then the two rings on the outside of the ring line were finally done.  speak_cool.gif

d9bIzC.jpg

But even taking photographs of this bulky pipe skeleton is not a simple matter, and it is also quite time-consuming, if one wants to represent the details sharp, because it depends on a favorable perspective as well as the light conditions. huh.gif

5O0amW.jpg

And since for good macros one has to approach as close as possible, one must be careful, in order not to bump with the Digicam somewhere and even to damage. smiley_worship.gif

GBjN5G.jpg

MYeG8o.jpg

And so to the outlets on the inside of the ring line,

GgG9my.jpg

here something more from the proximity. 

oqDUlB.jpg

Now, both ring lines are finally finished and could be painted. top2.gif

zterXT.jpg

Of the rings one can hardly see anything from this perspective, but they are completed, wherewith this chapter is finally finished. top.gif

DSc2aR.jpg

So far for today. up040577.gif

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, roma847 said:

Hello friends of the rings,

although this fiddling is getting slowly but surely on my nerves too, eek.gif I must still pull through the four rings at the outlets of the other ring line, earlier I give no rest. i5684_no2.gif

Amazing work - from Britmodeller's very own Lord of the Rings :)

• Like 1

Congratulations Manfred!!  A big step forward...you should have a beer :drink:!  Let the paint dept work.

12 hours ago, Richard E said:

Amazing work - from Britmodeller's very own Lord of the Rings :)

Thanks Richard, up040576.gif

if you mean ... denknf8.gif  probably more Lord of the Eye Rings ... cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 1

Thanks Mark and Rich for your congratulations,  lob3.gif and Cheers my friends!  prost.gif

A few small things I have to add, but in the paint department the boys are already ready for battle and only have still to test their new spray gun.   up046860.gif

I'm only wondering what is better, whether I airbrush the ring lines and the pipe supports individually and then glue all together, or whether I first should glue all the supports to the pipes and airbrush everything together ...  denknf8.gif

2 hours ago, John_W said:

You ask us mere mortals for advice? We are not worthy.

If you trust your assembly skills, paint first.

Hey John,

please no understatement,  top.gif  The question is meant seriously.

I'm not sure if the airbrush beam will get into the tight spaces between the ring line with all clamping rings and all the pipe supports and will spray all corners completely, when I at first glue all the supports onto the ring line and then spray all together.  hmmm.gif

lrwTd5.jpg

That's here the question.  up040577.gif