My first painting in along time, not avaition related.....

heloman1

stoner_pedrosa.jpg

Here is my very recently finished painting of two MotoGP rides entitled Gladiators it's, my first in a very long time. It's acrylics on board size is approx 800X700 and the photo came froma local magazine, which I had enlarged and then drew a grid onto that and the board then transfered to image. The board is Tempered Masonite (hardboard) with the back surface sanded and the two coats of white PVA then sanded again to remove/subdue the texture.

Colin

Hi, Many thanks for your praise, it is an interesting field to piant, lots of colour, action and detail. Larkie I'm using a mix of Reeves and Rowney from the UK, Chromacrylic from Oz and then zelcrylic and dala which are locally producesed here in South Africa. Mainly driven by what colours will suit the subject, although i'm not finding much difference between any of the products. All paint is used straight from the tube on a plastic palette, some thinning with tap water for the small detail where a thinner consistancy was needed.

In my next painting I used the same techniquies but have tried to reduce the amount of detail, I did however give the board three coats of primer (PVA White) then a good sand to reduce the texture.

I've just started my third subject Troy Bayliss on his Xerox Testrastretta, lots of red, white and black. I'm having difficulty matching the bright red of the most recent Ducati reds. Red on white base is not working so this pm it's red over pink! We shall see what happens. I've also used some dala Retarder as we have summer on the doorstep, so drying time is shorter, this mainly so I could blend the background where this is blurred through panning the shot I have used adding to the illusion of speed.

Besdies the painting, I'm also making my own frames as I couldn't find a moulding which suited the painting, which is tasking my woodworking skills.

My first showing is next month at the local art society summer exhibition. I may even get to sell something, so wish me luck.

Colin

Hi Eagle, Many thannks for the compliment, not so much talent more a knack of copying, a bit like paint by numbers, take an image transfer it to a piece of board and follow the fill in the blanks. I've still to master the art of painting an original.

Colin

Hi, Many thanks for your praise, it is an interesting field to piant, lots of colour, action and detail. Larkie I'm using a mix of Reeves and Rowney from the UK, Chromacrylic from Oz and then zelcrylic and dala which are locally producesed here in South Africa. Mainly driven by what colours will suit the subject, although i'm not finding much difference between any of the products. All paint is used straight from the tube on a plastic palette, some thinning with tap water for the small detail where a thinner consistancy was needed.

Thanks for reply, Colin. That's quite a mix of brands :) I'm sticking with watercolours for the time being but - aaargh!!! - may cross the floor if they get any more infuriating.

Good luck at the summer exhibition!

Thanks for reply, Colin. That's quite a mix of brands :) I'm sticking with watercolours for the time being but - aaargh!!! - may cross the floor if they get any more infuriating.

Good luck at the summer exhibition!

Watercolour can be a very difficult medium to master, the few I have had a go at took far too long, so ended up not as they should have, spontanious, vibrant and most of all interesting.

With the acryilics, it's like oils you have time to work especially if you use a retarder. The reason I have so many different brands is I haven't found one better than another so pick up what's available. It remains to see how good the local dala is compared to the UK acrylics for longevity and colour fastness, there is certainly not much in it price wise.

I'm also readign a lot, The Artist, a UK mag which is most helpful plus looking on the net, where there are plenty of how to articles and video's.

Colin

Nice one. :goodjob:

Not tried acrylics myself I must have a go once all the wall sized monotone murals are finished :winkgrin:

Many thanks Mark.

So they will be the ones with four sides the bottom one with a piece of moulded wood across it?

Colin

Good luck with the Summer Exhibition - your work looks like it should sell.

Many thanks Neil, I'm hoping to sell this one and two more I've recently finished which I will post pics of soon.

Colin

• 3 weeks later...

Good luck with the Summer Exhibition - your work looks like it should sell.

No luck with any sales at the Summer Exhibition but I did get a couple of favourable comments in the visitors book. All day art and crafts fair in the village tomorrow, I'll try again.......

• Like 1

Yeah - I used to live in Manchester and participated in our Aviation Art society exhibitions around that area.We got lots of nice comments and plenty of people talked to us about the paintings during the exhibition . But very few bought - maybe one or two out of 40 or so paintings often none.

Hi Neil, As they say in the second hand car trade, "there's lot's of tire kickers out there"! The ladies who have been with our art society for number of years were saying thet the through traffic was very quiet, well below 50% of previous years. I have to say the library meeting room we use is not the best venue as it's to the top end of the CBD. Hence punters won't venture that far. I think at Easter our next showing, we are going to have to bight the bullet and take empty premisses in the centre soemwhere.

Plus, I have to say a lot of them stay subject wise well within their comfort zone, very chocolate boxy. I'm seen by some as quite radical with my choices of subject. It's what I like painting, so if it keeps me happy, then I'm happy. But not as happy as if I'd sold one or two.

I started another subject this pm a 1920's American Board racer, probably the forunner of oval track racing. Lovely looking bikes for their day. Look Ma no brakes!!!!

Thanks for your input. I am looking for an aviation subject but as yet nothing has grabbled the imagination.

Colin

PS I was brought up in Sale.

Back in the '50's there was a schools art competition in the greater Sale area, held in the library and I had a pencil sketch on show but I didn't figure. As you say it was a good venue with a reasonable amount of passing traffic.

I've visited the MAvAS site a couple of time but not recently, there are some very accomplished artist in the group. I'm still trying to find the right subject for my first avaiation painting.

Thanks Neil.

Colin

Hi Neil, Many thanks, sounds klike a good group to belong to. Left my four paintings at the new local gallery yesterday after the arts and craft show. The weather was great the patronage a little less than enthusiastic. Maybe they were all at the beach?

Colin

• 1 month later...

Hi Colin,

Great work Colin, will send you a PM shortly :)

I can echo what Neil says about MAVAS,I joined the group a few years back. The input from the other members has been great and even sold a few paintings though not many. Got a MAVAS meeting tonight at the museum.

Keep up the good work Colin, you're handling of acrylic is superb.

Cheers,

Terry