MiG-21F-13

Julien

Interestingly enough, the tail issues are not because Trumpeter took the Chengdu J-7 as an example...!

Look at this link:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234918494

Gabor and all the other MiGistrates; please keep sharing the inaccuracies of this kit with us! I'm 95% sure I'll buy the kit this weekend, so I really would like to have the picture complete as to what I have to change!

Cheers, mates!

• 1 month later...

So spring is here, sun, good temperature, all the snow is gone and from under it the MiG-21F-13’s are peeking out nice and shiny. Yes, back to the subject of the Trump F-13, now that I had the chance in the past weeks to inspect three examples of this Fishbed version. First of all would like to say a special thanks to Pali for his valuable help on the last occasion and his expert, engineers eyes for making some important measurements.

I would like to say again that it is not a bashing of the Trump kit, or expressing my own opinion on how I feel about its looks but it is all up to you to see the real aircraft and compare it to the Trump kit. I am just trying to mediate and help anyone who is trying to make something of the kit or if they want to make a decision if it is worth buying it or they want to wait before anyone else will make a proper kit of the F-13 version. Now that a lot of measurements have been made of the real aircraft and details compared I still hold to my opinion (even stronger now) that this is only a TOY and not a scale replica of the real aircraft.

ARCF-131_zpsf382bb11.jpg

More soon.

Best regards

Gabor

• 3 years later...

Hello Gabor, Yuri

Just found this threat while searching for infos on the F-13 version of the MIG-21. Thanks a lot for your detailed reports. It seems like we have just another typical Trumpeter kit here...good thinking in deciding on th esubject and crappy execution!

A last question from a MIG novice...apart from all the detail issues, is the general outline of the kit and are the proportions in-line with the real thing? I am just asking since I red a review on the MF version from Trumpeter that has a too short and too skinny nose section. I have Eduard's MF and also the MiG-21PF, PFM, R  special edition on order...but I also like the shape of th eearly ones. I am willing to accept some and correct some mistakes of the F-13...but only if the general shape and measurements are correct.

Thanks again for you great research

cheers

Uwe

hi  Uwe

i got  interested in MiG's from the Arab MiG books...

I got the Trumpeter F-13 cheapish from the sale pages,   and on a brief comparison with an Eduard PF kit,  the main shapes looked OK,  what Gabor  means (I think) is  that nearly every panel line is slightly off.

Depending on your level of desire for accuracy you can live with Trumpy kit,  I don't think it would look terrible next to an eduard kit unless you look really closely, 

Or, you could graft the F-13  specific bits onto an Eduard PF, which is basically the  nose, cockpit and cannon.

Or, if you can find one,  Neomega did a F-13 conversion set for the Academy kit, 

http://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=529

review in German for  you ;)

I  was lucky to get one of these cheap (again via the  sale  pages) and I think  it could be used with some tweaking with the Eduard PF kit.  

a chap started work on a MiG-21 family,  using the UM nose on a Eduard PFM kit

I started with the worst version of the MiG-21UM Trumpeter is only caricature Mig-21UM. I cut off the fuselage with cockpit and the other is EduardPFM.It is with that less work as correction of errors at Trumpeter model.

a bit  more on the Trumpy kit  here

HTH

T

21 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Or, if you can find one,  Neomega did a F-13 conversion set for the Academy kit, 

http://www.modellversium.de/kit/artikel.php?id=529

review in German for  you ;)

I  was lucky to get one of these cheap (again via the  sale  pages) and I think  it could be used with some tweaking with the Eduard PF kit.  

a bit  more on the Trumpy kit  here

HTH

T

H Troy,

Don't keep your breathing with this conversion... If I recall correct Academy has quite bad dimensional issues with fuselage height and width.

Cheers,

AaCee