Jaguar A (Kitty Hawk 1:48) - Out of the Box Build Review

Mike

Here's a photo of the various parts that are currently undergoing bits of work while I build the landing gear. The gear looks like it's going to have to be installed as I go along, but I'm still not quite 100% yet. The engines have been sprayed black inside after their exhaust ends being cleaned out, and the two supplied fans were given a coat of Alclad Polished Aluminium over a coat of gloss black make them shine, then the blades were picked out with some Mig Dark Wash. After installing two in each "tube", I closed them up with some liquid glue, taking care to get the outer seams the best, as the inner seams won't be seen at all because they press up against the bisecting firewall. The exhaust petals were quite easy to fold, simply requiring rolling on a four-ply bed of kitchen towel using a AAA battery, then the tab was CAd to the other end, and the inner petals (the ones without the central ridge) folded in, and the outer ones folded on top of them. To get them central I popped them on a handy conical paint bottle lid, and ran some thin CA between the blades to attach them together. A quick fit inside the outer sheath, and they were all blasted with Alclad black primer, then Alclad Jet Exhaust, with a bit sprayed inside the outer casing, as part of that can be seen. The burner ring was dropped into the rear onto a bed of pre-applied CA, and the stator vanes lined up vertically, just so they look tidy.

The erroneous twin APU installation in the air-brake bay has been made good with a few scraps of styrene rod and wiring, which was painted something like the real thing. Of course I wasn't going to get EVERY bit in there, but it's hopefully busy enough to satisfy most viewers ;) I spotted some nice flouro orange covers inside the bays of one Jag, and even though they're possibly not typical, I've put them in there for a bit of brightness.

Here it all is with the closed up gun-bay in the background:

parts4.jpg

• Like 1

Oh aye, yeah! :lol:

I couldn't resist a bit of a test fit of most of the internal components this evening, mainly to check the correct orientation of the main gear legs, which could bite you the bottom if you don't line them up correctly. I also wanted to see what, if anything of the other engine would be visible under the cover of the outer skin. The answer to that is absolutely none! So that lets me off any painting or detailing of that engine, which makes me happy :) Clearly, there's only a basic "tube" of an engine provided, and if you want to super-detail, then you'd better learn to knit, because the Jag's engine is horribly complicated! Just check out out the walkaround here (there are a shedload of photos, so be patient).

Anyhoo - here she is... nothing other than the gun bay, the air-brake bays and the nose bay are glued in yet, so there's plenty of gaps to be seen, but overall, I'm quite impressed with the fit of the parts :)

fuselage2.jpg

fuselage3.jpg

fuselage4.jpg

I'll paint the engine tomorrow, and decide whether to detail it or not... I think? :shrug:

Cheers matey - I've just been finishing off the landing gear so I can add the brake hoses, while I do a bit of work on the engine. I was looking at our Walkaround, and noticed that the rearmost shiny part has a cross-hatch texture on it, so I've de-laminated a piece of workshop paper roll, and applied it to the area using a diluted mix of PVA, and working the paper into the contours of the triangular sections, which will get some short lengths of rod added to them later. Once that's dry I'll start painting the main colours of the engine, which seem to be (working from the back to front), shiny silver, emerald green primer, titanium, bluey-grey primer, titanium. Once I've got those colours laid down in stripes I'll decide what details I'll add to fill the space :hmmm: Whatever it is, it's not going to take long, as I want to crack on with closing up the fuselage :)

Pics later ;)

Thanks chap :)

This is a production kit as far as I'm aware, and is similar to some of the plastics that Kinetic have used in the past. I've had not problems with it so far, so I don't think you need to worry ;)

Cheers matey - I've just been finishing off the landing gear so I can add the brake hoses, while I do a bit of work on the engine. I was looking at our Walkaround, and noticed that the rearmost shiny part has a cross-hatch texture on it, so I've de-laminated a piece of workshop paper roll, and applied it to the area using a diluted mix of PVA, and working the paper into the contours of the triangular sections, which will get some short lengths of rod added to them later. Once that's dry I'll start painting the main colours of the engine, which seem to be (working from the back to front), shiny silver, emerald green primer, titanium, bluey-grey primer, titanium. Once I've got those colours laid down in stripes I'll decide what details I'll add to fill the space :hmmm: Whatever it is, it's not going to take long, as I want to crack on with closing up the fuselage :)

Pics later ;)

The engines with the green section were MK106's - only fitted to the last of the RAF's GR3A's - the French aircraft were 102's - all grey / silver modules

The engines with the green section were MK106's - only fitted to the last of the RAF's GR3A's - the French aircraft were 102's - all grey / silver modules

:doh: Just finished painting the green bit :( What colour should that bit be? :crying:

Oooh - hadn't realised you'd started!

How's a fella to resist? I know it's French, so not my "home team", but it'll add a bit of diversity to the cabinet anyway, and it is a Jag ;)

I'll have to forgo my grumpiness over it not being in the proper scale and follow this - looks ace!

Iain

Looking at the last shots (loving this build BTW) I thought it had all the detail of a 1/32 scale offering. I presume Mr Song scaled down the earlier version and simplified a little? Looks to be a real winner.

Looking forward to seeing more Mike.

Being an ex 14 Sqdn Sootie really really want a GR1.

Nose wheel bay from what I can see is a tad wrong. The plank effect should be a 1/2 Edam cheese recess for the nose wheel!

Looks like some extra work can go into the MLG bays and the engine bays.

Not sure of the fwd open avionics on FAF a/c area but on the RAF Jags we had the prominent Lox container which is not shown?

Adrian

Nose wheel bay from what I can see is a tad wrong. The plank effect should be a 1/2 Edam cheese recess for the nose wheel!

Adrian, in your experience were jets ever operated without the 1/2 Edam in place? I've found a fair number on my travels that no longer have the guard in place, so you can see right up the bay behind the rear cockpit wall.

Thanks

G.

I'd noticed that too about the nosewheel bay but didn't like to mention it. The recess is in the removeable splash guard which covers the electrics bay.

The LOX container is housed in a bay on the starboard side of the nose so the avionics bays look correct in the Kitty Hawk kit.

I'm hoping that Aires or someone produces some u/c bays as the kit ones are very simplistic.

Regards.

Graham

Looking forward to seeing more Mike.

Being an ex 14 Sqdn Sootie really really want a GR1.

Looks like some extra work can go into the MLG bays and the engine bays.

Not sure of the fwd open avionics on FAF a/c area but on the RAF Jags we had the prominent Lox container which is not shown?

Adrian

I'd be surprised...the splash guard covers the electrics bay. As well as the battery, there's some pretty sensitive equipment in there which need protecting (e.g. TRUs, Regulators etc.). A lot of the preserved jets have missing splash guards but thankfully our one at Bentwaters has it fitted. Just as well really as she is now electrically 'live' :)

Graham

P.S. Sorry to butt in :)

Adrian, in your experience were jets ever operated without the 1/2 Edam in place? I've found a fair number on my travels that no longer have the guard in place, so you can see right up the bay behind the rear cockpit wall.

Thanks

G.

Edited by ghaynes