New Ship Related Releases

• 1 month later...

Just had Trumpeter's 1/72 Chinese Jaiolong Manned submersible land on my doorstep,

Very nicely molded in colour, it can be put together snap-fit and un-painted with the markings provided on stickers. (update on closer inspection it also comes with normal decals, nice one)

This will build up into a very nice model with a bit of paint and some minor detail work.

Strangely in a leaflet inside are two 1/350 submarines listed under the Trumpeter Logo, an HMS Astute (new tooling?) and a PLAN 039G (new tooling?). probably repops of hobbyboss kits.

All the best Chris

• 1 month later...

Low and behold, courtesy of creative models;

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235004810-new-revell-monogram-kits-now-in-stock/

Revell have re-released the 1/72 Gato submarine for a princely £99

checked Revell's website, nothing showing yet it is on Revell US website.

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Model Monkey is very happy to announce 3D-printed products for ship models in many popular scales and for many navies. These parts are not 3D-printed copies of plastic model ship parts but are original designs based on the best available references, often scans of original builder's blueprints.

Included among these products are parts such as enlarged signal decks, extended searchlight platforms, emergency control stations and the correct HACS directors to convert your late-war HMS King George V kit to sisterships HMS Anson, HMS Duke of York or HMS Howe. These parts are available in 1/700, 1/600, 1/400 and 1/350.

Have some old, classic ship models in your stash? Many products are available specifically scaled for classic Revell, Renwal, Aurora and Lindberg box-scale models from the 1960s and 1970s. Other scales are possible.

You'll find HACS Mk.IV, Mk.V and Mk.VI directors, 271 & 273 radar lanterns, turrets, fighting tops (for HMS Roberts & Abercrombie, too!), whole superstructures, anchors, and more, all beautifully rendered by Shapeways' state-of-the-art 3D printers produced in layers just 29 or 16 microns thick (your choice!) for the best detail possible.

Here are some examples:

HMS Duke of York extended searchlight platform.

1-350%20Duke%20of%20York%20Extended%20Se

Fletcher class "square bridge" pilot house, Bath Ironworks-type - bridge deck and turrets also available

1-350%20Model%20Monkey%20Bath-type%20Pil

HMS Howe emergency control station

1-350%20Howe%20Aft%20Funnel%20Platform.f

HMS Duke of York enlarged signal deck

1-350%20Duke%20of%20York%20Signal%20Deck

Mk.14 & 15 Quintuple Torpedo Mount

Model%20Monkey%20Quintuple%20Torpedo%20M

USS New York & USS Texas superfiring turrets 2 & 4 - turrets 1, 3 & 5 also available

14in-45%20BB-35%20Turrets%202-4_zpsxlqy8

HACS Mk.VI directors

Model%20Monkey%20HACS%20Mk.VI%20Director

USS Arizona BB-39 superstructure, December 7, 1941 - designs for Arizona in earlier years also available

Arizona%201941.front_zps2mopbisx.png

USS Pennsylvania BB-38 superstructure, December 7, 1941 - a 1936 design is also avalable

USS%20Pennsylvania%201941%20superstructu

USS Essex CV-9 island, Korean War appearance - many other Korean War-era Essex class islands are also available

1-350%20Essex%20CV-9%20Island%201951.aa_

USS Intrepid CV-11 island, Vietnam War appearance - many other Vietnam War-era Essex class islands are also available

Model%20Monkey%20Intrepid%20Island.c_zps

HMS Abercrombie and HMS Roberts spotting top

HMS%20Roberts%20Spotting%20Top.front_zps

HACS Mk.IV directors, asymmetrically shaped for HMS King George V and HMS Prince of Wales

Model%20Monkey%20HACS%20Mk.IV%20Director

Anchors, US Navy-type - battleship and destroyer sizes available

Model%20Monkey%20Battleship%20Anchor%20S

USS New Jersey BB-62 "round bridge" 1944

New%20Jersey%20Round%20Bridge.b_zpsjjevt

USS Saratoga CV-3 funnel, 1941 - different Sara funnel designs for other years also available

Model%20Monkey%201-350%20Saratoga%201941

Twin 5"/38 caliber Mk.28 mounts for battleships - Mk.32 mounts for cruisers and aircraft carriers also available

Model%20Monkey%201-200%205in%20Mk.28%20M

Iowa class 16"/50 caliber turret

1-200%20Iowa%20class%20Turret_zps85grz69

USS Saratoga CV-3 island, 1931 - different island and funnel designs for other years through 1945, as well as designs for USS Lexington CV-2 are also available

1-700%20Saratoga%201931%20Bridge%20Tower

USS Enterprise CV-6 island, 1942 - unique island designs for USS Yorktown CV-5 and USS Hornet CV-8 as they appeared in 1942 are also available

1-200%20Enterprise%20CV-6%201942.a_zpssn

USS Arizona Memorial - with accurate interior, available in scales as small as 1/1250

1-350%20Arizona%20Memorial.ab_zps9ze2jhi

USS California and USS Tennessee fighting tops

1-200%20BB-43%20Fighting%20Tops_zpsxkqyg

USS Arizona and USS Pennsylvania 14"/45 caliber turret - also suitable for USS Nevada and USS Oklahoma

1-200%20Arizona%20Turret_zps6x7zg0dc.jpe

Mk.37 director with Mk.25 radar, open dish - other Mk.37 designs available

1-72%20Mk.37%20with%20Mk.25%20open%20dis

For those not familiar with 3D-printed products, some part cleanup will be necessary. During the 3D printing process, a waxy substance is used to support certain part features. Although the parts are cleaned by Shapeways afterwards, some waxy residue may remain. It can be safely removed with water and a mild aqueous detergent like "Dawn" dishwashing soap, baby shampoo (no conditioner) or "Simple Green" using an old, soft toothbrush, Q-tips or pipe cleaners. Customers report that "Bestine" and "Goo Gone" also work well.

During the printing process, liquid resin is cured by ultraviolet light. Microscopic bits of resin may remain uncured. Let your parts sit in direct sunlight or under a fluorescent lamp for a few hours to fully cure the resin. Once your parts are fully cured, careful use of an inexpensive "air eraser" emitting common household baking soda can help smooth surfaces prior to painting. Air erasers, similar to an airbrush but much, much cheaper, can be found on Amazon.com.
Water-based acrylic paints meant for plastics is strongly recommended. Other paints, especially enamels, may not cure on Frosted Detail 3D-printed plastics.
Please visit the Model Monkey Shapeways shop - see link below.
Edited by Model Monkey
  • Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Courtesy of evilbay Pre-order for trumpeter's 1/48 Type VIIC U-552 U-Boat with interior, due out in October.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DKM-U-Boat-Type-VIIC-U-552-WWII-06801-1-48-Scale-Pre-Order-October-release-/172294843956?hash=item281d92ae34:g:JXYAAOSwIgNXo4YE

If i win the lotto i might get one LOL, not convinced on the level of detail in this one but who knows.

All the best Chris

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10410700

It appears Aoshima may be redoing their HMS Illustrious kit and air group in line with their recent Ark Royal and Hermes. Separate PE set in the works too !.

They going to clash with Flyhawk again ?, as a Flyhawk Illustrious was hinted at, although in this case Aoshima are actually replacing their rather poor kit of the Illustrious class.

If both Aoshima and Flyhawk make HMS Illustrious, then it's got to be the Flyhawk one that wins out. Aoshima kits aren't bad but Flyhawk are just on another level altogether. I've got both Aoshima's recent HMS Ark Royal and USS Wasp, which are pretty good but I also have Flyhawk's HMS Aurora and HMS Naiad, which have to be amongst the best ship models ever in 1/700! I've just ordered my HMS Hermes from Starling models, so with a bit of luck I'll have that by the weekend.

thanks

Mike

Edited by Mikemx
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

First look at some of the sprues from Aoshima's new tool 1/700 WW2 Illustrious kit: LINK.

I think the Flyhawk one might be the one to get as and when it appears. Easier to get in the UK too!

Mike.:)

It looks like a step up from the old tool kit but the more serious of ship modellers will buy the Flyhawk one, I know I will! The Aoshima one will probably be a quicker, more fun build. I suppose in a way, it will be a bit like comparing a Dacia to a German (or German subsidiary) car.

thanks

Mike

Interesting images of the Flyhawk stand at the All Japan Hobby Show at the bottom of this page: LINK.

Big pic: LINK.

First hints of the Illustrious and Campbeltown kits, what looks like another 1/700 aircraft set featuring the Walrus and Swordfish floatplane.

What caught my eye were the "Kajika" labeled WW1 era Kongo, Hiei and Haruna CADs and artwork on either side of the stand. I wouldn't say no to one of them in plastic!

Edited by MikeR

Did you not notice HMS Penelope? Given they've done HMS Aurora, it's not a big surprise to see another of the class but that's good, in fact the more RN ships the better! Wouldn't it also be nice if they plugged some other gaps like the rebuilt Scheer and Lutzow??!!

thanks

Mike

:lol:

Some more images via ModelWarships.com. LINK.

1/350 Hasegawa IJN Junyo, Hobbyboss Danton and Trumpeter Graf Zeppelin, Dunkerque and Strasbourg.

More shots of the Aoshima 1/700 Illustrious (plus Insect class Gunboat?) and submarine tender IJN Taigei (later the carrier Ryuho). The latter is tied in with the "Kantai Collection" browser game though a regular version will appear at some point.

Aoshima also announced the torpedo cruisers Kitakami and Oi a while back, again tied in with "KanColle" game followed by regular Waterline range releases. Fujimi have also just released a new tooling of the IJN Hiyo in 1/700 and announced that they're also doing the Junyo in the same scale.

29 minutes ago, Mikemx said:

Did you not notice HMS Penelope? Given they've done HMS Aurora, it's not a big surprise to see another of the class but that's good, in fact the more RN ships the better! Wouldn't it also be nice if they plugged some other gaps like the rebuilt Scheer and Lutzow??!!

thanks

Mike

I did, but that was announced a while ago, roughly the same time the Hermes was. Besides, the WW1 Kongo was too big a distraction!;)

Edited by MikeR

Someone panned the Aoshima Illustrious but I think it looks like a better kit than the old one. I can't tell just by looking at small pics whether it's accurate or not but the detail on it is miles better but the Flyhawk one will be light years ahead. I also like the gunboat with a future boxing of Aoshima's HMS Hermes, it would be nice to get that in a separate little kit (it's the former HMS Moth). I'm looking forward to getting the 1/700 Hiyo and Junyo, there's certainly plenty to look forward too.

thanks

Mike

PS I even like the look of the Hobby Boss/Trumpeter Dunkerque and Strasbourg, I hope the scale them down to 1/700 as well. 

• Like 1