1/32nd scale Lightning T.4 conversion - completed

This is going to be my next 'fast jet' project: a Lightning T.4 in 1/32nd scale using Trumpeter's F1A/F3 kit along with Whirlybird's T.4 conversion which I picked up at Telford:

DSCF7171.jpg

The conversion set is very comprehensive, and comprises of a beautifully cast resin nose, a full interior as well as a comprehensive instruction sheet, etched set and decal sheet to build a T.4 of 146 Squadron based at Coltishall in June 1965:

DSCF7172.jpg

DSCF7176.jpg

DSCF7174.jpg

I've got as far as cleaning up the new front section and test fitting the interior - it all fits rather well!

DSCF7173.jpg

I'm going to complete the front part first, and when this is done I'll start chopping up the Trumpeter fuselage.

More progress shots will follow once I've done a bit more!

Tom

Edited by tomprobert
  • Like 1

Great work and cannot wait to see your usual high standard of finish on this one.

You may well have seen this - I did a lot of work on the T.4 before getting distracted by a real aviation project (TheBuccaneerAviatonGroup). http://www.britmodel...howtopic=69432. The conversion is a great start - unfortunately the rest of the donor kit still needs quite a lot of work to build something accurate (depending on how OCD you are :banghead:)

Kind regards,

Edited by crobinsonh

I've made a little progress on the T.4 today.

My first task was to remove the cockpit from the Trumpeter kit, following the guide provided by Whirlybird:

DSCF7248.jpg

I then test-fitted the new two-seat nose to the Trumpeter fuselage. The nose itself doesn't fit too badly at all, and with some careful maneuvering the join should be fine. The part for the replacement spine did not fit so well, and was too wide by about 5mm, so I have had to carefully cut it down the middle and sand it until it matches the width of the fuselage:

DSCF7246.jpg

Here is a test fit of everything together:

DSCF7244.jpg

Now it'll be getting it together - should be fun!

Tom

Does the conversion correct the position of the leading edge of the wing relative to the cockpit? IIRC the Trumpeter kit had the wing too far forward for some reason.

Will you be doing anything with the back end to correct the pinched in appearance of the jet pipes?

It'll be an impressive model when completed anyway.

Duncan B

Does the conversion correct the position of the leading edge of the wing relative to the cockpit? IIRC the Trumpeter kit had the wing too far forward for some reason.

Will you be doing anything with the back end to correct the pinched in appearance of the jet pipes?

It'll be an impressive model when completed anyway.

Duncan B

The Trumpeter kit has to have a 5 mm insert making the fuselage longer,moving the wings back

The Trumpeter kit has to have a 5 mm insert making the fuselage longer,moving the wings back

I was wondering if the resin nose section corrects for that or if it still needs to be added. I wasn't very clear with my last post, a bit early in the morning!

Duncan B

Duncan,

The hosest answer is: I don't know!

However, having looked at other attempts at this they have lengthened the fuselage to correct this problem.

I am not going to though - to me it looks like a Lightning and I'm not someone to get hung up on exact measurements, and thus I'll be leaving the tail pipes 'as is' as well. Something Whirlybird have done though is provide the correct sized nose ring, so you have to shorten the mounting for the nose cone otherwise it'll protrude too far. This is something to sort shortly so I'll add some pictures of this process.

If I had the money (or could find one!) an Echelon Lightning would have probably been a better starting point to be honest.

Tom

• Like 1

Great choice of subject Tom, shame you aren't going to attack the rear end though as it sticks out like a proverbial sore thumb. I do understand .......once you start tinkering you'll never stop and the thing will flounder in the pending tray for ever and a day. (Nice to get a tiddler done whilst waiting for the glue to dry on the B 29 !!!)

145(226) squadron colours suit it beautifully.....

Great start Tom. For the record the Echelon kit is an F6/F2a though you could build a Saudi/Kuwaiti (or in RAF delivery home markings)T55 using this. I started to build an F6 from the Trumpeter kit when it was first issued. I couldn't live with the inaccuracies so I have an un-finished kit! I'm still trying to correct the shape issues, when I can be bothered, so good on you for getting on with one and building it. Should look nice next to your Dad's F6!

Great choice of subject Tom, shame you aren't going to attack the rear end though as it sticks out like a proverbial sore thumb. I do understand .......once you start tinkering you'll never stop and the thing will flounder in the pending tray for ever and a day. (Nice to get a tiddler done whilst waiting for the glue to dry on the B 29 !!!)

145(226) squadron colours suit it beautifully.....

Yes the more I look at pictures the more inaccuracies with the rear end I see... but as you say it'll be a lot of extra work. It's fun enough just adding the new nose!

And you're right - it's nice working on a smaller model, there's actually room to move on the work bench whilst building this!

Great start Tom. For the record the Echelon kit is an F6/F2a though you could build a Saudi/Kuwaiti (or in RAF delivery home markings)T55 using this. I started to build an F6 from the Trumpeter kit when it was first issued. I couldn't live with the inaccuracies so I have an un-finished kit! I'm still trying to correct the shape issues, when I can be bothered, so good on you for getting on with one and building it. Should look nice next to your Dad's F6!

Thanks Bill - and yes I'd forgotten the Echelon Lightning was the later mark. A Saudi T55 would look nice though...

• Like 1

Yes the more I look at pictures the more inaccuracies with the rear end I see... but as you say it'll be a lot of extra work. It's fun enough just adding the new nose!

Sadly the rear end is one of the more minor 'issues'...

Iain

I've had a productive few evenings on the T.4. The new nose has been grafted on and the Trumpeter interior parts such as the nose wheel bay and the radar housing have been added.

The nose fitted pretty well in the end, it was actually a little narrower than Trumpeter's fuselage so it took a fair bit of sanding and gluing it bit by bit to get a decent fit but I got there in the end.

DSCF7256.jpg

Then out came the P38 filler and the whole lot was blended in and then polished with micromesh to remove any blemishes from all the sanding as the natural metal finish will show even the smallest scratch.

I had to use the Trumpeter nose ring in the end as I foolishly sanded through Whirlybird's replacement part while trying to get it blended in nicely to the main nose section... do'h! Ironically, the kit nose ring actually fits better than the replacement, but is a little too long as is the problem with the Trumpeter examples. Still, it looks ok to a non-Lightning expert such as me...

DSCF7260.jpg

DSCF7261.jpg

DSCF7264.jpg

The wings have also been added - they needed a bit of modifying at the roots where they meet the fuselage below the cockpit. As the two-seat nose is a lot more bulbous the Trumpeter wings didn't want to join very well, so I followed the contours of the new nose and removed the corresponding area on the wing and this solved the problem:

DSCF7266.jpg

The nose wheel bay was also lined with plastic card where it meets the fuselage to make it nice and sharp - the resin was a little flaky on my example so this improves it somewhat:

DSCF7267.jpg

And for some general shots, tail fin included!

DSCF7270.jpg

DSCF7272.jpg

DSCF7273.jpg

She's starting to look the part now, and with the major construction now complete I am going to rescribe the panel lines where I've been sanding and attempt to add some rivets to the nose section to match up with the Trumpeter kit moldings. Watch this space!

Tom