1/72 Revell Corvette "Snowberry"

Martyn

Good Evening,

Acquired this old kit of E-Bay a couple of years ago for a bargin (impulse buy), and it has sat in my stash unloved and untouched

since then.

But a couple of months ago I found myself being drawn towards it. I started doing a bit of research on the web, and found lots and lots of references are available for these little ships.

This is my first WIP on this site, so please be gentle :winkgrin: ,

First couple of pictures are of the joined hull ( started as four pieces).

01frontkeel.jpg

02aftkeel.jpg

Next up are the support beams that go across the hull, the supplied items in the kit are only thin pieces of

plastic, so I beefed them up with some extra lengths of plastic card

03internalribsbeefedup.jpg

• Like 1

Couple more pictures with the support beams fitted,

05ribsfitted.jpg

04ribsfitted.jpg

Next up was to remove the exaggerated keel, and after an hour or so of dremmel / sanding block action this is

the result.

06Bowwithkeelremoved.jpg

07Sternwithkeelremoved.jpg

Keel rails ??? also fitted.

More to follow, cheers for now

Martyn

• Like 2

This is definately one kit I wish I had in my stash, I am very much looking forward to your build Martyn! Jockster.

P.s. There was a feature on one on these earlier this year in 'Fine Scale Modeller' magazine. If you can get a copy you may find a lot of help and inspiration.

Jockster, thanks for the vote of confidence, hope I don't dissapoint !

Nick, thanks for posting them piccies, what can I say besides "gulp" If only mine comes out nearly half as good, I would be happy,

that is what a model should look like .

Anyhow, onward with another small update,

Decided in my wisdom to add "rivets" to the hull, because it just don't look right without them, and after a bit of experimenting

I found the best way for me to do this was to drill small indentations in the hull plates with a pin vice and a small drill bit.

Punch out "rivets" from plastic card, and using my own designed pick up tool ( a toothpick with a blob of blue tack on the end)

glue each rivet to the pre drilled indentations.

Tools in use.

13rivettools.jpg

Starting out

15rivets.jpg

Where I am at the moment

15rivets-1.jpg

This is gonna take some time, but I hopefully won't go to batty before it's finished.

Cheers

Martyn

• Like 4

Mick,

Ta much for the input, I have actually started to sand down the plating on the hull sides, but i'm slightly confused by the comment "grind down the stem". Could you give some pointers to what you mean please.

Ta much

Martyn.

The keel on the kit , which is basically done as a square box section, inaccurately continues all the way up the bow. In reality this was a thin metal plate, so the bow should be ground down to continue the taper of the hull plating fwd. If you have access to the Anatomy of the Ship book devoted to the Agassiz there is an excellent drawing showing this detail, in reality I think the metal thickness at the stem was about an inch thick.

Mick

Edited by mick b

Mick,

Ok, I understand now, let a bit more grinding action commence ----- thanks for the advice.

Mark, hope your patient, i'm not the quickest of builders !!

Cheers

Martyn.

That's OK Martyn. I am not the quickest of Readers.......LOL

I'd recommend this book for anyone building the kit -

http://www.amazon.co...52921449&sr=1-2

Also the after market parts from here -

http://www.djparkins...t_Fittings.html

And here for extra crew figures -

http://www.gunthwait... of Figures.htm

And KSHG206 from here -

http://www.historexa...=HG&GrpKey=1-72

Edited by Niall

I have discovered that I can only do so many rivets, sanding, drilling before going batty, so

I have started on the kit 20 mm cannons and tried and make them something like.

New splinter shield made up from plastic card, and gun support and shield support brackets

made from some scrap brass shiming I found kicking about at work.

16cannon20mm.jpg

fitted

17cannon20mm_zpsa6d56ce0.jpg

Ammo drums, didnt look right ---- soooo replaced them, and also made up sights

18gun20mm.jpg

thats it for now

cheers

Martyn.

Fredrictonpic2.jpg

built mine over 15 years ago. There was not a whole hell a lot of aftermarket l could get at the time so l had to scratch build everything to change it to the revised Flower Class my dad served on during the war for the RCN

Edited by hacker
  • Like 3

Hacker, nice one fella.

ok, onwards just a small update, following Micks advice earlier on in this build, more grinding and sanding

carried out on the bow. Picture below is before.

20before.jpg

and after

21after.jpg

Also glued together all the kit vents and thinned them down to a more realistic thickness, some samples below

11Ventsthinnedout.jpg

Thats it for now, back to the rivets :banghead:

Cheers

Martyn

• 1 month later...

Also.................. Are the instructions correct in that the painting guide shows large areas of the deck to be grey instead of wood and if so are these painted metal? Sorry if this is daft but have the wooden decks to attach and wondering if only the 'planked areas are actually needed or will it save removing the molded planks.

There are only wood decks from in front of the anchor winch to the middle of the gun tub and 2 small areas at the rear of the deck house. On minesweeper versions there are 1 or 2 other areas at the rear of the deck house. These areas were laid over the steel deck. 

See my build(from the old kit) here -

http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=23309.0