72nd scale Vickers Vimy, 4 FTS, old Novo kit.

Hello Folks,
Another one from the cabinet that I`ve just fixed, here is the old Frog/Novo 1/72nd Vickers Vimy kit built as an inter war 1920`s aircraft based in Egypt with 4 FTS although the serial number is probably wrong.
Picture503.jpg
Picture497.jpg
I`ve just noticed that I`ve knocked the nose gun mount off and over the cockpit whilst photographing it,oops,...another repair then! Imagine one of these in 1/48th scale using the Alleycat resin kit,...phoaar!!
Cheers
Tony O

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 8

Thanks for your very kind comments, I`ve got a soft spot for inter war biplanes but I must admit that the rigging does put me off at times, this being one of my first attempts at doing so. If I remember rightly I drilled out holes to help make the wing struts stronger and this did help to make the entire structure more robust.I`ve got the Maquette Vickers Vernon in the stash (which utilises the old Frog Vimy parts with a new basic fuselage)but have not gathered up the courage or found the time to start this yet!

I wish that more of the Fleet Air Arm`s colourful biplanes were available in kit form, that would be nice, especially the Fairey III series, Fairey Seal and even the butt ugly Blackburn Blackburn (named after my home town!).

All the best

Tony O

• 3 years later...

Sorry about this but just realised I didn`t answer a query,.......

Neil,.... I used elastic monofilament from Aeroclub,....but since I refurbished this one the remaining stuff has gone off and I need something else now as I`m going cross eyed trying to rig an Airfix Tiggie or two!

You live in butt ugly !!

Cracking job Tony looks very good

You`ve never been to Blackburn I take it,.........the term `butt ugly' would actually be a compliment!!!

Cheers

Tony

Cracking looking Vimy. Just shows what can be done with an old kit. I've had an Eastern Express one in my stash for more years than I care to remember. Really should get on with it after seeing what can be achieved.

• Like 1

Excellent Vimy!

Since I restricted my collection to WWII and prologues (Spainish Civil, Abissynia, China...) Vimy is beyond it - but I wish to do Valentia one day. Unfortunately It is not available now - I think. Have you done already a Contrail Valentia also?

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

Neil,.... I used elastic monofilament from Aeroclub,....but since I refurbished this one the remaining stuff has gone off and I need something else now as I`m going cross eyed trying to rig an Airfix Tiggie or two!

I would recommend ez-line. It's basically very fine black elastic - stretches very easily to 12 times it's unstretched length & takes to CA very readily. It comes in a couple of thicknesses too. The only problem I've had with it was when I left a DH2 on the kitchen window sill for a couple of weeks - the sun was beaming through the window & the elastic perished rapidly.

• Like 1

Cheers everybody and thanks for the ref to EZ Line Andy,.....should be worth a try.

Excellent Vimy!

Since I restricted my collection to WWII and prologues (Spainish Civil, Abissynia, China...) Vimy is beyond it - but I wish to do Valentia one day. Unfortunately It is not available now - I think. Have you done already a Contrail Valentia also?

Cheers

J-W

Hiya JW,.....I know that I used to jump out of aeroplanes for a living but I`m still not brave enough to tackle a Contrail Valentia mate!!!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1