STRATEGIC AIR COMMAND

Wolfpack

Italeri148DC-130.jpg

Now this definately makes a change from NMF! SAC had a few of these with the 350th SRS, 100th SRW.

This will hopefully turn out to be 56-0527 which was at Davis Monthan in late 1968 after returning from Vietnam.

The kit has some issues, the fuselage being one. As the remedy involves the Airfix fuselage, a kit I haven't got in stock, I'm leaving that alone. The engines represent the early T56A-9 engines, useless for an E but spot on for the A. The kit comes with four bladed props and this a/c did not receive them until 1982. Another Italeri kit passed through my hands and a swap for the three bladers in that kit was made.

The exhausts are not right for any variant and will have to be modified. Extra round windows will be needed and of course, there's the biggie...........a large nose extension.

There have been resin conversions made for this in the dim and distant past, but as the kit has not seen the light of day since the late 1990s, getting my hands on one is going to be impossible. Good job I've got some Milliput!

The cockpit has been painted and assembled as per the kit. With the poor transparencies, detailing this area would be a waste of resources. A few licks of paint and that's enough.

Anyway, here's the photos showing where it's up to now.

DSCF2592.jpg

DSCF2593.jpg

DSCF2595.jpg

DSCF2594.jpg

More later.

W

• Like 1

I've been drooling over this kit for ages--always get outbid on ebay, suppose it serves me right for being a cheap Scot...ah well, you can't help your genes...

Looking forward to seeing the project unfold,

Cheers,

Arie

What an exciting three days. The modelling table covered in watered down Milliput as sanding and filling and sanding and filling have become my constant companions.

At least I now have a nose of the requisite shape (or as near as).

DSCF2597.jpg

DSCF2598.jpg

I also took the opportunity to extend the engine nacelles to a more prototypical size.

DSCF2599.jpg

Even the top surface needed filling and sanding.....................

DSCF2600.jpg

The engine sections themselves have had some modification to prevent that hollow shell look.

DSCF2601.jpg

I will see if they go together later today.

W

Edited by Wolfpack
  • Like 1

Sorry to keep droning on but I've made a start on the four BQM/AQM Firebee drones. According to those in the know, the kit items are excellent representations ofthe actual thing.

Larger and later model drones were probably used, but I'm basing the load-out on the photo reference for the aircraft in mid to late 1968.

First item of business, is to scribe a few panel lines then sand the rest away. It's not that large and they are not that prominent. Next, a couple of pieces of card are added to the intake and jet pipe detail to eliminate the see through look.

The drones in my photo all have drop tanks, an item not supplied by Italeri. I decided to use some slightly modifies Mk.82 bombs from the Hasegawa weapons set No.1 as they are about the right size and shape. Hasegawa, generous as ever, only give you enough parts to assemble six of these weapons. To avoid the lop-sided look, I'm only equipping two of the drones with tanks, one for each side.

So, this is the state of play as of this am.

DSCF2639.jpg

The drone fuselage showing the card inserts.

DSCF2640.jpg

The see through look banished by the inserts.

DSCF2641.jpg

A finished drone, complete with drop tanks.

More later.

W

• Like 1

• 3 years later...