Cold War Soviet paint colors

Procopius

What are appropriate colors to use for painting those camouflaged Cold War-era MiG-23s in straight-up Soviet service? I am not a good paint mixer (as I am an excellent paint spiller), and I really only use acrylics, so "close enough" is probably fine. I see Testors/Polly (easily available here in the land of milk and honey that is northern Illinois) have some Soviet aircraft colors (Soviet Green, Soviet Khaki, Soviet Sand), but are these what I need?

Order yourself some Akan paints. They are made in Finland, but formulated in and sold from Russia, allegedly to exact Soviet/Russian color specs. They are acrylics, and perform very well. Available from several mail order outlets.

If you're in the US, get them from the (only, AFAIK) US importer, Linden Hill Imports (www.lindenhillimports.com). The owner, Guy Holroyd, is a great guy and very good and very easy to deal with.

J

Edited by Jennings Heilig
  • Like 1

Order yourself some Akan paints. They are made in Finland, but formulated in and sold from Russia, allegedly to exact Soviet/Russian color specs.

J

Hi!

Akan paints are NOT MADE IN FINLAND!

Tikkurila is indeed the manufacturer or at least their paint technology is used. But the Finnish company has factory/-ies in Russia and Akan paints are made there! Akan paints are not even imported or sold in Finland! BTW there is also polyurethanealkyde email Akan line where the colours are said to be more exact than in the acrylic like.

Kari

• 4 weeks later...

Akan paints are made in Russia and this is a fact because personally I have seen the factory.
Maybe pigments are imported from somewhere else (maybe Finland) I don't really know this information.
What I know as previous mentioned the new series 6xxxx (Lacquer) are good after testing with airbrush.

Hobby Colours is another source to buy them and is in Europe (faster shipping)

Edited by thkar