Revell / ICM Bf 109 F-4 trop, Hans-Joachim Marseille - FINISHED

Crikey,that looks a real beaut,and I see the Revell instructions are far superior to the flimsy 2 page photocopy job you get with the I.C.M. kit(That's my excuse,and I'm sticking with it :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments guys :) This is probably the most time consuming build i have done yet, its been fun but really happy to see it coming together now ...finally!

Carts - probably not much use but if you need it i can scan and email you the Revell instructions, they are pretty straightforward apart from mentioning part numbers that arent shown anywhere on the sprues..

Cheers again, Stu

Cheers Kent :) hoping to get the gloss coat on later and decalling done over the weekend then the end will finally be in sight!

Glad the mossie build runs on so long might still be able to get in on that...

• Like 1

And finally here she is, all the little bits finished and stuck on - thank god for the extra week. This must be the most delicate model i have done to date, i'm scared to fart near it in case something falls off (to be fair not necessarily a bad thing) :)

Anyway on with some pics and then will do the gallery post.

Thanks Andy for organising a great group build and everyone who has taken the time to comment - now time to dig out the Revell mosquito for the STGB,

Cheers, Stu

SAM_3743_zps1ec241cf.jpg

SAM_3744_zpsdb00173f.jpg

SAM_3746_zps1268f555.jpg

SAM_3740_zpsbad5668f.jpg

SAM_3747_zps9198c4ad.jpg

SAM_3750_zps989eda25.jpg

SAM_3752_zps23b75a59.jpg

SAM_3749_zpsfcf1bb43.jpg

SAM_3742_zps4f16c0cd.jpg

• Like 1

Wow Stu you've turned out a beauty, I'm getting some bits together for a Bf-109 in a North African scheme, if it comes out anything like yours I'll be a happy boy. What did you use for the exhaust stains? Really like the stains on the underside too.

Cheers...

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind comments guys, they are greatly appreciated :) I've really enjoyed this group build and glad that i (just) managed to get in within the extended deadline.

:goodjob: looks fantastic, glad I didnt do this Marseille one, mine would look shocking compared to yours :yikes:

:cheers: cheers, great job !

Pabbi - i know thats not the case, i saw yours in the inspirational gallery and it looks great! Although the kit may not be the best one on the market out of the box, its certainly a good base for a few hours of modelling fun :)

Wow Stu you've turned out a beauty, I'm getting some bits together for a Bf-109 in a North African scheme, if it comes out anything like yours I'll be a happy boy. What did you use for the exhaust stains? Really like the stains on the underside too.

Cheers...

Cheers Mike - your Emils the nuts so will be keeping an eye out for your North Africa 109.

I sprayed the exhaust stains with a really thin mix of brown / black at about 10 - 12 PSI. I took the nozzle shroud off the airbrush, held the tip really close to the model and pulled the trigger ever so slightly so you can just about see it making a pinhead size wet patch, keep it moving and just let it gradually build up to get the colour.

On the underside i had a go with some oil paints which i had been wanting to try for a while, just putting a couple of small dots on where i wanted it to start and then dragging them with a brush dipped in white spirit and then wiped dry. Its possibly a bit heavy but can see myself having a go at this again in the future :)

Anyway cheers all and hopefully see you in the 110GB when it happens, if not before :)

Edited by stoohoo

• 1 month later...

Hi Stoohoo, I was so impressed with your build I went to my stash and blew off the dust on this one. However, I noticed you have the obligatory swastika on the tail, but that is not included in the original decal sheet (I guess because a German company is not allowed to??). So did you get your swastika decals from another sheet?

Also, could you please, please tell me what you used for your antenna and the little white insulation thingy-me-bobs that are on it? Seems I have been looking for a good antenna product for years and now I see you have the perfect solution! Great job all round and I hope I can emulate your efforts!!

• Like 1

Hi Dano,

Thanks for the really kind comments :)

The swastika was one I robbed from the spares box, I dont think its necessarily the correct type for the theatre and time period but fills the space (actually i think it might even be for a 1:72 tamiya FW190 :) ) I know Hannants in the UK have quite a few options for swastika decal sheets, I can understand why Revell wouldnt have them on thier sheets given the laws in Germany but suprised that Airfix dont either...

Not sure if you saw the RFI post i did but theres a link here as someone else had asked about the aerial wire and insulators:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234934709-revell-icm-148-bf109-f-4-trop-hans-joachim-marseille/#entry1239583

Basically though the wire is just low breaking strain (about 1lb) match fishing line, it has a little elasticity so can be tensioned nicely before it is glued. Unfortunately on this build the kit mast was a bit flexible (should have replaced it) and has lost a bit of the tension. I painted the line with a thin mix of Revell aqua anthracite to give it a little bit of colour as well. The roundish insulators were little blobs of PVA that i painted white when set and the conical things were made by smashmoulding a hot tungsten scriber (i'm sure anything metal and pointy would do the same) into a sheet of thin plasticard and cutting off the cone that is formed - it took a couple goes to get right but got something useable in the end.

Anyway - I hope this is of some use to you and will be looking out for your build - are you going to do a WIP thread?

Cheers, Stu