RAF Museum Hendon (28-10-12) pic heavy

jimbuna

NIce pics and very entertaining. Like others here, I need o go back there for an update visit.

Just as an aside re the Lanc, I sat in the captains seat when the aircraft was stored in a hangar at RAF Bicester around 1971 with 7 Spitfires there too. The Lanc was 'dismembered' at the transport joints so myself and a couple of chums, who were with me on an ATC camp, were free to scramble around inside the fuselage sections. And no we weren't being vandals in case any one asks! We were under the watchful eye of a very nice SWO!! But, at the time, I / we never realised what an important and historic airframe we were entering!! Not only that, it wasn't the first time I came into contact with R5868. It was on the main gate at Scampton in 1969. where I have a photo of self standing in front of it with a grand slam and tall boy in front.

Nice one :speak_cool:

Great photos, I am afraid Hendon though is not my favorite museum, mainly because of the unhelpful rude security guards

Cosford I have found are a more pleasant crowd, my honest opinion though

Hi Kev,

I 100% agree with you. If I tell you that I contacted Hendon to ensure that I could photograph the Sunderland and agreed a date. Booked the time off work (mid-week) and telephoned them the day before and was told all OK. I then rode the 250 mile trip there to be told I couldn't photograph it as there was a private party taking place. I explained my booking, showed them the email confirmation and was told it was tough! Hendon **** the place.

Now then go to Cosford and see the difference. I arrived on a standard mid week day and fancied some 'arty' type shots, one in particular with the stainless steel research aircraft. The security chaps had seen me loaded with motorcycle gear and camera kit. One came over to me and said they didn't have a cloakroom area but offered to put my bike kit in a secure location. Most kind of him. Then, when I was trying to shoot the 188 he allowed me access inside the 'fenced in' area.

What a difference in attitude. Pleasant, helpful and knew their stuff

Since then I've returned many times to Cosford, spent plenty of dosh in their shop and given donations to them.

How many times have I been back to Hendon, well I don't really need to answer that now do I!

Regards

Reggie