1/48 - McDD F-4J + (UK) & S Phantom II by Zoukei-Mura - released - Quinta Studio cockpit set

Homebee

Fair point, but surely it would be better to have 100% of the profit from a kit unique to your brand than x% of the sales of a kit subject that all of your competitors' ranges include too?

Sure.

But the guys who're already making profit on that model already studied the market about that model, and probably studied the market about that Farleigh Fruitbat Mk III you're so interested in, and a share of the Phantom market mght be more interesting than 100% of the Fruitbat market...

S.

• Like 1

Fair point, but surely it would be better to have 100% of the profit from a kit unique to your brand than x% of the sales of a kit subject that all of your competitors' ranges include too?

Couldn't agree more !

• 5 weeks later...

Sure.

But the guys who're already making profit on that model already studied the market about that model, and probably studied the market about that Farleigh Fruitbat Mk III you're so interested in, and a share of the Phantom market mght be more interesting than 100% of the Fruitbat market...

S.

A 1/48 Halifax might be a more profitable venture than a Farleigh Fruitbat, so whilst I understand your point, there are so many gaps that could prove profitable yet original if we take good quality injection moulded kits as the goal.

Edit. I've just done a search on the F Fruitbat, what a nice and unusual machine. I want one now!

Nice looking F-4J.

In direct competition with Academy, but that seems to be the way Z-M do things : tail-gating another's recent release.

Concur with a previous remark. This needed to be 1/32 and a Spey variant. Or a 1/72 Spey variant.

Nonetheless, the J might well be a treat if they accurately mimick the inlet bellmouths, provide a single tail unit and provide optional dropped L/E and T/E BLC flaps and folded wings. All the things Hasegawa should have done in 1983.

Tony

Depends on the market size for each subjects: a 10% share of a 100,000 pieces market is much better than the whole 100% of a 5,000 pieces market.

• Like 2

Depends on the market size for each subjects: a 10% share of a 100,000 pieces market is much better than the whole 100% of a 5,000 pieces market.

"much better" = "two times better" here in particular :)

Edited by Laurent

... seems to be the way Z-M do things : tail-gating another's recent release.

So you think ZM developed their whole Phantom series right after Academy released their model?

This needed to be 1/32 and a Spey variant. Or a 1/72 Spey variant.

What's wrong with the 1/72 Fujimi British Phantoms?

... might well be a treat if they accurately mimick the inlet bellmouths ....

What's an "inlet bellmouth"?

Gene K

Gene,

Z-M ? Who knows? So far, most of their releases have followed their competitors. And, as many rightly point out, Hong Kong Models Pfeils or Tamiya Mustangs make no money for Z-M. No one's making any suggestions of marketing espionage !

Fujimi FG.1/FGR.2 ?

Hard to find in an intermittent re-pop and supply chain. Please link me to a site as I'd love a pair of reasonably priced Ark or 43 Sqn FG.1s.

Inlet bellmouth =

http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/bell-mouth+inlet+duct

The geometry of the F-4 inlet, right to the engine - being that these are a major physical feature of the McDonnell Phantom II - have seldom been captured accurately. Tamiya's 1/32 offerings gave them a fair go but the tool makers screwed up by not matching the outer front piece to the inner trunking.

HTH

Tony

So far, most of their releases have followed their competitors ....

I would heartily wager that development of a ZM kit takes much more time than being on the heels of another company's release. In the case of the Phantom, it could just as well be the other way around with one company rushing to beat another's release.

Please link me to a site as I'd love a pair of reasonably priced [1/72] Ark or 43 Sqn FG.1s.

Yes, supply is unfortunately spotty, so you're own your own with your search engine ... but for starters, you could try here (I have no idea of what "reasonable" is to you).

?? If you're talking about the Phantom's variable bypass bellmouth, that's a ring located at the engine face, and I doubt it can be readily seen looking into the intake duct. If, on the other hand, you're talking about the vari ramps, those don't open until around M1.5, so not a modeling factor. The ducts themselves, however, are a big feature that Academy royally flubbed with the huge inside steps - just terrible. That flub alone, for me, is reason enough to get the ZM kit(s) ... if done properly (which I have no doubt ZM will do)! Lastly, if you're referring to the forward (fixed) vari ramp with the perforations, yes, ZM treatment of this area will be interesting to see!

I'm really anxious to hear/see from the attendees at the (US) IPMS Nationals next week where ZM will display their new Phantom. Going by their presentations at previous shows, I know it will be a spectacular setup.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K
  • Like 1

I agree wholeheartedly Gene.

I'm used to 1/32 scale so am, perhaps, overly fastidious. The J79 engine face and generator bullet (USAF), bellmouth, inlet geometry, and vari-ramp (which, ideally, should be in two halves, inner and outer) are some of the most challenging things to get right. Even Tamiya botched them a little bit !

http://s406.photobucket.com/user/avnav526/media/F-4/F-4engineairflowsystems.jpg.html

Always good to see a new Phantom II Phamily. I too suspect this was a glint in the eye of the Z-M supremo before Academy cut any metal, that their market research turned up the same results as their competitors, and that the coincidence of their releases mirroring others is a mere statistical anomaly - possibly bad luck in some instances.

Z-M's Phantom II's will doubtless set a new benchmark and, as I noted earlier, may be the first real product to get things right since Hasegawa's efforts from the early 1980s, though I like the Academy offerings in 1/72.

Tony

Edited by tony.t
  • Like 1

One of our members has a little problem with this topic, and is receiving notifications of new replies even though he's not subscribed. To cure his ills I'm going to have to unsubscribe everyone in the hope that this clears the error. I thought it best to let you know in the thread so that you'd get a notification that would tell you that you need to re-subscribe!

I'll unsubscribe you all once this is posted - thanks for your understanding ;)

Ok - everyone should now be unsubscribed. Could we also get back on topic please, and away from the "this is what ZM should have done" that happens every time they unveil a new kit. :)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yep…..stand by for another new announcement from this company. Odds are, their first 'innovative' 1:72 scale kit will be the Avro Shackleton, judging by their previous track record !.

YAWN

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

News

Source: https://www.facebook.com/volksusascale/photos/pcb.1653766844884934/1653766808218271/?type=3

VOLKS USA - Scale Models a ajouté 3 new photos.

Hier, à 02:00 ·

[New Item Information: SWS 1/48 F-4J Phantom II]

We will tell you about the newest SWS Kit that was unveiled at IPMS Ohio, the SWS 1/48 F-4 Phantom II!

The ZOUKEI-MURA team has confirmed now that the F-4 will be available for purchase summer of this year (2016)!

Weve gotten information that there will be a display model of the kit. The display model will be shown at Germanys Nuremburg Toy Fair (January 27th February 1st)!

Once we get new information from ZOUKEI-MURA at the event, we will share it to all of you!

The image shown here is the newest mock up display from an event in December, so please go and check it out!

12509861_1653766828218269_28225178745187

V.P.

Edited by Homebee

• 2 months later...