Brigade Spitfire XII conversion kit

atvd1020

You can pick up an Xtrakit MKXII if you look about. I found this to be cheaper in the long run. They usually go for about £10-£12. I was going to do a conversion, Airfix MKXIX with a MKV of some description equaling about £15-£16.

Rick.

Don't forget, you'll have to source the correct decals too. You may already have them of course..........

I held out till an Xtrakit kit came along.

Mind you, you can't beat a bit of kit bashing! If you already have the stuff on the shelf, go for it!

Rick.

As far as I can recall The Brigade conversion consists of a whole fuselage - not just a new nose, so it could be used with any Vb wing....with a bit of fettlin'

Ah, thanks for the correction. I was perhaps thinking unconsciously of the Paragon one, which is nose only (for Hasegawa Mk IX kit). I have deleted my misleading post.

You could always whip the Griffon VI nose and pointy rudder off the Brigade fuselage

(how accurate is the Brigade fuse?,Airfix's Vb is pretty good from firewall to rudder post),

and add them to the Airfix Vb to give you a pretty good XII I'd imagine

Well, I was pretty happy with the Brigade Models kit. This it with Italeri Mk IX wings ('C' wings, not 'B'), suitably modified to the asymmetric radiator and oil cooler combination. Both of the Italeri Spitfires, Mk V and IX, are pretty awful kits, but the problems are mostly with their fuselages and there isn't a lot wrong with their wings. In fact, many Spitfire kits have wings that are too thick, while Italeri's are are actually very good in that regard. This was a pretty neat, trouble-free and enjoyable build, from what I remember.

I do have Xtrakit's Mk XIIs in the stash, which look to be very nice, but I wouldn't write off the Brigade/Italeri option as a waste of money and effort.

SpitfireXII12001-1.jpg

SpitfireXII12002-1.jpg

Edited by Tango India Mike
  • Like 1

If you do start with the Airfix Mk.Vb wing, the aileron needs the hinge line filling and rescribing and the root has a very odd rise up to meet the fuselage. There are some pecularities with the shape near the tip, but subtle enough to be ignored by other than the most fastidious.

I was combining the Aeroclub vacform fuselage with the Italeri wing, but the Xtrakit superseded that.

Well, I was pretty happy with the Brigade Models kit. This it with Italeri Mk IX wings ('C' wings, not 'B'), suitably modified to the asymmetric radiator and oil cooler combination. Both of the Italeri Spitfires, Mk V and IX, are pretty awful kits, but the problems are mostly with their fuselages and there isn't a lot wrong with their wings. In fact, many Spitfire kits have wings that are too thick, while Italeri's are are actually very good in that regard. This was a pretty neat, trouble-free and enjoyable build, from what I remember.

I do have Xtrakit's Mk XIIs in the stash, which look to be very nice, but I wouldn't write off the Brigade/Italeri option as a waste of money and effort.

I see....in that case I will probably plump for the cheaper kit. However, between Airfix and Italeri, which has the better-fitting undercarriage? And how well-detailed is the Brigade cockpit?

A review of the Brigade conversion set I read on Internet Model(l?)er mentioned problems with the exhaust shapes were. How serious is this?

Edited by atvd1020

Folks,

I'm not trying to be funny, but I'm generally the one to ask the dumb question. As TIM says, the Mk XII had the 'C' armament wing, not the 'B', so if the Brigate models conversion gives you the entire fuselage, why would you be looking to 'cross it' with a Mk Vb kit? Surely a IX, of whatever flavour, would be an easier option. (Of course, if it's the challenge of converting a 'B' wing to a 'C' that is being sought, I'll wind my neck back in . . .)

regards,

Martin

Edited by mike romeo

Folks,

I'm not trying to be funny, but I'm generally the one to ask the dumb question. As TIM says, the Mk XII had the 'C' armament wing, not the 'B', so if the Brigate models conversion gives you the entire fuselage, why would you be looking to 'cross it' with a Mk Vb kit? Surely a IX, of whatever flavour, would be an easier option. (Of course, if it's the challenge of converting a 'B' wing to a 'C' that is being sought, I'll wind my neck back in . . .)

regards,

Martin

The IX would be even harder, it's much easier to convert a Vb wing to the XII C wing than an IX C wing to an XII C wing. The XII used a Vc wing and thus shared the V radiator layout with the single radiator and the oil cooler, rather than the IX's dual-radiator setup. A B to C wing conversion simply requires shaving some lumps and bumps and some filling & rescribing while an IX to XII conversion requires sourcing an oil cooler and replacing one radiator with wing skin. The Vb to Vc conversion requires shaving the B bulges for the Cannon (top & bottom) and landing gear (top), relocating the outer MG and providing the appropriate late Vc cannon bulge. You should also use C landing gear but most wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the B gear and the C gear.

Ideally, you'd start with a Vc kit. But they can be a little hard to find in 1/72 for a nice wing for reasonable money at the moment.

Edited by Adam Maas

The IX would be even harder, it's much easier to convert a Vb wing to the XII C wing than an IX C wing to an XII C wing. The XII used a Vc wing and thus shared the V radiator layout with the single radiator and the oil cooler, rather than the IX's dual-radiator setup. A B to C wing conversion simply requires shaving some lumps and bumps and some filling & rescribing while an IX to XII conversion requires sourcing an oil cooler and replacing one radiator with wing skin. The Vb to Vc conversion requires shaving the B bulges for the Cannon (top & bottom) and landing gear (top), relocating the outer MG and providing the appropriate late Vc cannon bulge. You should also use C landing gear but most wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the B gear and the C gear.

Ideally, you'd start with a Vc kit. But they can be a little hard to find in 1/72 for a nice wing for reasonable money at the moment.

There you go Martin,Adam has beaten me to it.

The IX's c wng can be modified,but it's easier to remove the b wing cannon feed/mag bulges,add

c wing ones and do a bit of rescribing