Two MiG-21 fighter/interceptors

Here are two MiG's in 1/72 scale. One is a Matchbox replica of a MiG-21MF as flown by the Egyptian air force and the other is an earlier Airfix model MiG-21F-13 as supplied to the North Vietnamese air force. Russia and other countries certainly produced loads of Fishbeds because they were fairly inexpensive and generally unsophisticated fighter jets. MiG-21's were fast, but range was not a strongpoint. Later versions made attempts to make up for earlier shortcomings with more power and fuel, some aerodynamic tweaks and improved electronics.

Fishbeds were (and still are) flown by a number of countries (including the United States !) and can also be seen as gate guardians and static displays all over.

8104249117_4b880fafa1_o.jpg

Photo Series 10-11-12-B 152mod3XCZ by mikedetorrice, on Flickr

5437539878_8aa1d9b083_o.jpg

Photo Series 2-10-11 004mod2XCZ by mikedetorrice, on Flickr

5449934969_d0b519c3be_o.jpg

MIG-21 2-15-11 013mod3XCZ by mikedetorrice, on Flickr

8104385094_100bf6fa93_o.jpg

Photo Series 5-29-12-III 157mod2XCZ by mikedetorrice, on Flickr

8104264798_c618aaa635_o.jpg

Photo Series 10-10-12-C 081mod2XCZ by mikedetorrice, on Flickr

8104248747_768755ba99_o.jpg

Photo Series 10-18-12 003mod5XCZ by mikedetorrice, on Flickr

8104248915_5403495861_o.jpg

Photo Series 10-14-12-D 828mod7XCZ by mikedetorrice, on Flickr

8104264964_20210caeb0_o.jpg

Photo Series 10-18-12 005mod5XCZ by mikedetorrice, on Flickr

Mike

• Like 2

Another couple of superb subjects and presentation Mike. I particularly like the NMF Mig and the way you have presented it...stands out really well against the background!

The first photo of the silver Mig captures the afterburner effect very well. The Mig and Phantom photo is a nice touch!

Brian.

EXCELLENT ! mike im glad to see im not the only one on here who likes to make planes in flying condition, like you i love to photoshop them and thats part the reason why i do it.

In fact you remind me i need to photoshop my frog vulcan as a member on here requested it. and you have inspired me to do more with my builds in photoshop having seen it from another modeller makes me realise how nice it is for someone to view your work in such dreamy fasion that photoshopped pics offer.

i lvoe your builds keep em coming mate

Thanks so much to everyone. You are very kind !

EXCELLENT ! mike im glad to see im not the only one on here who likes to make planes in flying condition, like you i love to photoshop them and thats part the reason why i do it.

In fact you remind me i need to photoshop my frog vulcan as a member on here requested it. and you have inspired me to do more with my builds in photoshop having seen it from another modeller makes me realise how nice it is for someone to view your work in such dreamy fasion that photoshopped pics offer.

i lvoe your builds keep em coming mate

Models in flying condition are a lot of fun, aren't they, Rob ? :D Your recent Vulcan in 1/144 certainly displayed a wonderful use of post-production work to place the V-bomber in it's natural element ......... soaring above the earth in dramatic fashion !

Here is a snap of the (real) Marine RF-4 Phantom which posed with the model Fishbed. Taken at Miramar MAS, California, 14 October, 2012 :

photoseries101412d826mo.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Mike

Lovely work Mike, especially the MiG/ F4 mix....works very well. the AB effects are very well rendered too, you don't work on flight sim stuff by any chance ? One more thing, where do you get you're backgrounds from ?

That photo of the RF-4 reminds me....where exactly are all these prominent panel lines that we see all over modern kits. If you finished one looking like that we'd say it looked 'toy like'. It's all a matter of scale I know but you can clearly see how faint and subtle the lines really are.....Just my own thoughts.

Keep up the good work...

Thank you, sir !

I don't work on flight simulators at all, but whenever I play them I've proven to be a fine target for enemy planes (ummm, except when I set "god-mode" for myself !) and I am really quite capable of producing spectacular "crash landings" at any airport or points in between. :lol:

That is a good observation about panel lines. The subtle reality can be evident in a number of instances. It can certainly be a question of perceptions and the point of view taken : both with the real airplane and in viewing a scale model from the position of an observer, hovering overhead with 1:1 eyes seeing (perhaps) a 1:72 replica.

The backgrounds are generally 95 % obtained from my camera-carrying doppelganger, whom I have ordained must continually wander about, taking pictures of various skies from both the ground and window seats in airplanes !

Actually, to be a bit more serious here, nearly all of the backdrops are snaps I have taken with my Pentax DSLR, but some are also created in my computer using various landscape software programs like Bryce and Vue. With the two MIG fighters, the first view of the Egyptian craft features a background snapped recently in the mountains surrounding Palm Desert, California, while the second and third image were done in Vue 9. The final shot of the Egyptian MIG was obtained by simply pointing my camera straight up at a threatening sky.

The NVA MIG-21F has snaps taken out of my plane window, with shot three obviously having the Marine recon-Phantom put in and the last shot also having some contrails added. I also have a large collection of 35mm slides I used to use in pre-digital times (circa 1988 or so) to employ as rear-projection scenes behind a model, but I haven't gotten around to digitizing many of those as of yet. (it's something I must get a start on !)

Mike