Monogram 1/72 HU-16B/ASW Albatross (rvhp conversion)

My first post here, so be gentle!

This is the Monogram HU-16B heavily modified to represent a Norwegian /ASW variant.

I used the RVHP nose conversion, and Aires engines. All other modifications are scratch built. I vacuformed new transparencies and engine cowlings, and the undercarriage was scratchbuilt. There was a lot of other small things done as well.. Too many to list..

Decals are a cut-and-paste job using mainly Vingtors excellent sheets.

The model represents aircraft KK-A as it was in 1968 when my father flew it from Andoya air station.

Hope you enjoy it.

Espen

Albatross016sml_zpsb4bac743.jpg

Albatross009sml_zps51b421f5.jpg

• Like 15

Wow I like that a lot, what a beautiful model! I`ve always had a soft spot for the Norge Albatross and have wanted to build one for years so thanks for the heads up regarding the conversion set,

All the best

Tony O

Really great work. I was lucky enough to see quite a few of these old girls when I was in Arizona, none of them were in as good a condition as yours though!

This is the Monogram HU-16B heavily modified to represent a Norwegian /ASW variant

Espen

Albatross016sml_zpsb4bac743.jpg

Albatross009sml_zps51b421f5.jpg

Espen,

OUTSHINING all other Albatross build. This is OUTSTANDING.

PERFECT rigging and quite taut and very NEAT AND FLAWLESS workmanship.

The Albatross is very beautifully crafted aircraft and your rendition of it STUPENDOUS.

BRAVO .. Your father was lucky to have flown such a MAGNIFICENT looking beast.

I am sure he likes it. Lovely paint job..like the white contrasting band....AWESOME work...Woo hoo

What did you use for rigging as it is done with much aplomb and excellence..

KUDOS for a brilliant job..

We can take an example here how canopies should be blended into the fuselage ....

I can not remember that I have seen such a flawless job on that before.

Edited by occa

Thank you very much all for your nice comments!!

It has been a troublesome labour for this one as I started it in 2007! Needless to say it spent a couple of years on the shelf as I lost interest..

HOUSTON: thank you for your gracious words! The rigging is my first attempt at such and I bought Lycra thread from little-cars. It is very easy to work with and stretches about 7 times its natural lenght!! Also easy to glue.

OCCA: I made the vaccuformed canopy quite a bit bigger than the transparencies. This helps to blend it in with the fuselage. Also have a good master and don't give up until you like the result! Otherwise you will beat yourself up about it forever!! The one I used was the 23'rd attempt I think...

I am trying to make one now for another project. You'd think I had learnt something but I'm not getting any better at it. I've made 8 and none of them are any good.. I'll get there though..