P-51D Mustang 'My Achin' Back' - Airfix 1/72

Well, I've finally managed to finish one! This is the excellent new-tool P-51D mustang from Airfix. I built the kit with a few scratchbuilt parts such as harnesses, wiring and gun barrels. The decals are by Kits-world with Stencil markings and insignias from the kit sheet. For less than the price of two pints this kit has provided me with hours of entertainment, and with so many decal options available I can't wait to build more!

I hope you like it.

Sean

frontleft.jpg

left.jpg

right.jpg

leftrear.jpg

rearright.jpg

above.jpg

cockpit.jpg

front.jpg

propeller.jpg

interior.jpg

onstand.jpg

Edited by Sundown
  • Like 23

Beautiful, absolutely beautiful. As I'm building a 1/72 spit (the first in many years) I can really appreciate the effort required to build that well with such a small kit. What silver/airframe colour is that?

Very nice - lovely build! Is all that interior detail standard on the kit (other than the wiring and harnesses)? I don't fancy the USAAF ones so much (although you did a great job on yours), but as you indicated there are lots of versions to do. I'd like to do a camouflage Suez Israeli version or maybe a late '70's camouflaged Dominican Republic example.

Regards,

Jason

What silver/airframe colour is that?

I used Alclad Aluminium over grey primer for the main colour. The darker panels were masked and sprayed black before I applied the Alclad to give some tonal variation.

Very nice - lovely build! Is all that interior detail standard on the kit (other than the wiring and harnesses)?

Thanks James, I replaced the control stick with wire but only because I broke the kit one. Aside from the harness and the battery wiring the rest is standard. The IP is flat and a decal is supplied but you can't see much of it when the fuselage is closed.

Cheers,

Sean

Edited by Sundown

:thumbsup2: Now that is bloody sharp! What's the finish, Alclad?

I used Alclad Aluminium as the main colour. It's such a nice finish and can take a serious amount of abuse, in particular being masked over and over again. Barring the national insignias all the other blocks of colour such as wing stripes and no step markings were sprayed.

Sean

Edited by Sundown

Very Nice and pleasing looking model!

I have built two so far and finished them as RCAF ones from Leading Edge Decals. I feel the surface detailing isn't too deep and looks fine. In fact the surface detail (and interior detail) is about the same as the Tamiya one but wins by having the optional flap positions. I will build more to replace some of my earlier dodgy kits.

Edited by Paul J

Beautiful kit... very nicely done. However, I doubt if this particular bird was ever painted as depicted but, that certainly doesn't take away for the incredible job you've done with it.

Here is a picture of the same bird in service with the 358th FS of the 355th FG. If it was painted as you have it depicted then a LOT of the things painted on it would have to of had to be removed when transferred to another unit. IN this case the 358th... the rudder does appear to be red and the trim around the cowling is also red. However, the red on the wing tips, the red trim around the cowling and the wing and horizontal stabilizer stripes would have to have been removed. We would see that in this photo but, we don't... so its is what it is...

yf-l.jpg

The red trim probably went back only as far as the exhaust on the nose and the wing tips remained polished aluminum. The tail number was further back and the only thing they probably ended up removing and/or changing was the spinner to white and removing the wing and tail stripes.

All that aside... a BEAUTIFUL kit nonetheless and thank you for sharing. :D

Regards,

Hurry

Simply stunning Sean, really sharp paintwork complimented by beautifully restrained weathering :)

Is that the kit canopy - i dont think i have seen an airfix canopy look so thin clear and shiny...got to get me some of these!

Cheers, Stu

Alclad aluminium, I have some of that, never tried using it. It came with some chrome which I have tried and loved. Must do me a natural finish soon. Thanks.

As for the canopy, I'm guessing you've polished it extensively to get that finish.

As for the canopy, I'm guessing you've polished it extensively to get that finish.

The canopy is really nice and clear as it is, all it needed was a buff with a 3-way stick to remove the sprue attachment points.

Sean

Edited by Sundown